Hey everyone. So after contemplating the idea for the last few months, I've decided to go through with it and actually build myself a custom ukulele. I've been playing for quite a while now, and I still have my mediocre beginners uke. I'm currently in the planning stages of this, but will be ordering wood for the body within the next two weeks. So, specs so far:

- Tenor size
- Curly Mango all around!
- I'll edit with the body size specs later... I wrote them out and cant find them now
- Extended neck. 20 usable frets rather than 12.
- Cut away (pending)
- Binding, probably black-white-black.
- High gloss, transparent orange-green burst
- Gotoh Friction tuners
- Hand Carved Bone Saddle and Nut
- Ebony Bridge
- Bone fishhook inlaid at the 10-12th fret, and my initials over a palm frond on the headstock.

So... A question on the finish. For it to pop out, like you would want figured koa to, how would I do that? Just clear coat gloss it? or is there more required?
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Last edited by racman92 at Oct 12, 2009,
Sounds epic! Can't wait to see a finished product, more ukuleles are pretty standard, but this should be badass.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Well, I lost the auction for the wood I wanted (by a dollar ) so, I may or may not do koa. Most likely this will be either Figured Mango or back and sides mahogany with a Koa top. I also plan on doing a mahogany neck, with a bone fishhook inlaid at the 10-12th fret, and my initials over a palm frond on the headstock.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Last edited by racman92 at Oct 11, 2009,
Well, I've decided on some nicely figured Mango. I was thinking, since its not as awesome looking as the koa, that I want to to a stain... and I was wondering if a burst stain was possible or if I should just go for tinted clears. I want it to be a gree to orange transparent burst, with green sides.

Do y'all think it should be orange or green in the center? like, orange-green, or green-orange?
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Green - orange center everytime
My Rig:
American Standard Telecaster
Fender Starcaster
Sp. Edition Jack Daniels Strat (Modded)
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
Pedalboard (from a shelf )
the odd pedal
Hmmm, quick question. Do I put the binding on and mask it when I spray it and then sand down any ridges, or do I put it on after its been sprayed?
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
You can spray clear right over the binding.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Can you post a link to pictures of the said mango? Then I could make a better suggestion.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___