Long story short I'm selling my mesa boogie express to buy a higher gain combo. Right now it's between a mesa boogie rectoverb 50 and a genz Benz el diablo 60 what combo. My question is this about the genz benz. It has 6 preamp stages but only three pre amp tubes. Does that mean only 3 of the pre amp stages are tube and three are solid state? I noticed most other high gain amps averaged 4-5 12ax7's in the pre amp. Just wanted to clear up the issue between the genz benz and its pre amp. I have tried both amps in person btw. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Sorry to make the question a bit more focused I realize that the number of tubes does not equal amount of gain my question is essentially, is it possible to have an all tube pre amp with 6 pre amp stages and only 3 pre amp tubes? or will the pre amp be partly solid state?
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Last edited by Slanderous666 at Oct 11, 2009,
Totally depends on the operating condition of each gain stage.

There is no cut and dry answer to your question
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Number of preamp tubes has nothing to do with the amount of gain. Its all about how the gain stages are structured.
Sorry to make the question a bit more focused I realize that the number of tubes does not equal amount of gain my question is essentially, is it possible to have an all tube pre amp with 6 pre amp stages and only 3 pre amp tubes?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
Sorry to make the question a bit more focused I realize that the number of tubes does not equal amount of gain my question is essentially, is it possible to have an all tube pre amp with 6 pre amp stages and only 3 pre amp tubes?

1 preamp tube = 2 triodes

1 triode = 1 preamp gain stage

3x2 = 6 so yeah, it is possible. whether or not that IS the case depends on the actual circuit, not this theoretical information
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
1 preamp tube = 2 triodes

1 triode = 1 preamp gain stage

3x2 = 6 so yeah, it is possible. whether or not that IS the case depends on the actual circuit, not this theoretical information

Cool man thanks, exactly what I was looking for
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni