So, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I've been looking around for a new bass, I've had my Mark Hoppus Fender P-bass for a while now, and a local music store is having a sale on Fender guitars.

So, this would be the perfect time to buy a new bass, but I don't know which to get, im torn between a

Fender American Standard J-Bass
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Standard-Jazz-Bass?sku=515755

And An

American Standard P-bass.
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Standard-P-Bass?sku=515752

I've played on both, and I like them both fairly well, maybe leaning a little bit toward the J-bass.

I play mostly punk rock, and jazz at school, but I have an upright for that. I've been told that most punk players use P-bass's, and told me to go for the P, but I've seen lots of players (Dan Andriano, Joe Principe, Chris #2) Use J-bass's, at least in their early work.

Any comments or suggestions on which to get would be greatly appreciated.
if you already have a P bass .. get a j -bass

what's the difference between the Mark Hoppus P-Bass and the regular P-Bass, aside from the flamboyant color selections?
Last edited by pepsi1187 at Oct 11, 2009,
Quote by pepsi1187
if you already have a P bass .. get a j -bass

what's the difference between the Mark Hoppus P-Bass and the regular P-Bass, aside from the flamboyant color selections?

Its a P-bass with A Jazz bass body with no tone control, Made in Mexico.
Which ever you prefer there both old faithfuls and as good as each other.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
theyre both good, but I personally prefer the jazz bass, maby because i play jazz :P But I think Jazz is better
Punk can be played on a J bass. Get a J bass, you already have a P.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
yeh you could get that ^, squire do some, thats if you could live with a bass that says 'squire' on the end. Judging by your stage I take you want something more than a squire. The only ones Fender make are:

Duff McKagen P-Bass: http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0146500323 (£700 or so)
Frank Bello Signature Bass: http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0130095306 (£800 or so)

Other than that you could get a bass from a different company aka yamaha etc... But if you want a Fender, again I will state, get a J-Bass (In my opinion)
Both bass's are on sale at $1000.00.
Yeah, I'm not really feeling the Squire, I've played on many Yamaha's, my school only buys Yamaha's for some reason, and I really don't care for them much.
Also, thank you for the comments, I'm heading back again this week to play on them a bit more.
Precision!
Especially if by punk you mean really fast, really hard. The Precision has the low-end to really add that punch you need.
Jazz, you already have a P
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
I'd love P's, but a Jazz would do you good since the Mark Hoppus is a P bass. You really couldn't go wrong with either though
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Personally, I'd go for the Jazz. The Mark Hoppus one may well be a J body but it has split P's in them. My brother has a Hoppus bass and pretty much it sounds like a 70/30 P/J Bass to me, personally.

I'd hit the Jazz up. They look pretty sexy too, just don't get it in a crappy generic colour
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by toyboxmonster
Precision!
Especially if by punk you mean really fast, really hard. The Precision has the low-end to really add that punch you need.

Well, the style and sound I'm really looking for is something like what Dan Andriano used early with the Alkaline Trio. Thats why I started looking into J-bass's, but I really do like the sound of Matt Freeman's P- bass. Those are the two players that influence me the most, so that's why I'm a little bit torn on this, I don't think Matt plays really fast, really hard though.
I still say Precision. I play ambient music, grunge, noise-rock, punk, indie, and the occasional jazz jam, and I tend to use the Precision pickup on my girlfriend's P/J bass exclusively. I plan on getting a Precision Bass as soon as I can afford one.
Ok, I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the advice.

One quick question though, I was doing a little research, and I've heard that Matt Freeman use's a jazz on the Album "...and out come the wolves" If anyone could confirm this, it would be greatly appreciated.
I'd go with the Jazz personally, but the Precision might be better suited to what youre playing.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
you have the exact punky p-bass sound, IMO. get a jazz.

then you can cop poor imitations of Jaco Pastorius and Marcus Miller during jazz...

and add a tone knob to your hoppus.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
you have the exact punky p-bass sound, IMO. get a jazz.

then you can cop poor imitations of Jaco Pastorius and Marcus Miller during jazz...

and add a tone knob to your hoppus.

Um, I'm slightly confused by this comment. So, I should get a jazz, because I can get a punky sound, and so i can pretend like I'm Jaco during jazz band?

And how am I supposed to add a tone knob to my P? Can I get it done professionally or something?

Also, the sale is at a local store called Griggs Music.
Last edited by Pandawithapick at Oct 12, 2009,
Quote by Pandawithapick
Um, I'm slightly confused by this comment. So, I should get a jazz, because I can get a punky sound, and so i can pretend like I'm Jaco during jazz band?

And how am I supposed to add a tone knob to my P? Can I get it done professionally or something?

Also, the sale is at a local store called Griggs Music.

you could get it done professionally, maybe 50 bucks-100?

you could do it yourself, drill a hole, get a knob, get a new pot, wire it in, I'm going to be learning how soon, but don't quite understand completely yet. that would cost maybe 15 bucks, take maybe an hour. if you ask in GB&C, they will be able to show you the ropes.

punky sound- you have a hoppus. that is the epitome of the punk sound, and nothing but the punk sound. in seafoam green or pink.

a jazz, that gets an old school thump, a trebley snap, and it is the sound used by many, many famous jazz bass players, including Marcus Miller and Jaco. it will fill the void left by your bright, aggressive rockin Hoppus, by getting a real thick sound for a walk around the old fretboard.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

i agree. P's and J's are both great. a slight difference with a J is that its neck is abit slimmer. Take Rush's bassist Geddy Lee. He personally sanded down his J's neck to fit his needs. Ever since, the artist signature Geddy Lee Jazz Bass has come with a slimmer neck similiar to that of Geddy's. I own a P myself. Shes a beauty. She does, indeed, give you that low end thump. If you want to play something fast and mettalic-like, go with a P. When you want smooth and creamy lows and punchy highs, a J is your best bet. i personally like a P with a J's neck and Quarter Pound pups. Mixing up your bass can meet your specifications. Dont be afraid to mix and match.
Ew, don't get either. No way I'd waste 1000 on a Fender. There's better stuff out there
Jazz all the way.

The Mark Hoppus sig is by no means terrible and should continue to meet you "punky-and-I-really-need-a-P-bass-for-this" needs.
Quote by Raccio14
Ew, don't get either. No way I'd waste 1000 on a Fender. There's better stuff out there

unless you want to sound like a Fender.

just saying.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I liek Jazzes.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
I think the J bass does punk better than a P bass; the run the bridge pickup on a J and I think you get more midrange punch and clarity when dealing with high tempos. I think P basses often sound a bit hollow and it can kinda get lost if you're playing fast runs.

But if you really want to do the versatile bass that can hit punk thing, I'd suggest this - http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Deluxe-Precision-Bass-Guitar?sku=511390 - same price as the ones you're looking at, but you get a humbucker at the bridge and a P pickup in the middle. I think someone else suggested the model with the J pickup and the P pickup... but hey... let's go straight to the mother 'bucker.

You get the goodness of a humbucker for tight, punchy punk [think MusicMan Stingray or Sterling] and if you want to do some rock, cut out the humbucker and hone in on the P pickup.

Bam!
Last edited by Cholas at Nov 12, 2009,
Quote by Pandawithapick
Ok, I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the advice.

One quick question though, I was doing a little research, and I've heard that Matt Freeman use's a jazz on the Album "...and out come the wolves" If anyone could confirm this, it would be greatly appreciated.

This is quote from BassPlayer/9/1996:
After years of favored P-Bass and a brief period of experimentation with various instruments, Freeman has settled on the Fender Jazz as his axe of choice. "For a while", he grins, "I had this thing about buying cheap basses - you know ´I´m a punk rocker,´ and all that. They´d sound okay, but when I went on tour they´d fall apart. Finally, I just saved my money and bought two Jazz Basses. They sound really good, and they´ve got very thin necks, which helps me because my hands are small."
When his roadworn Acoustic 320 head and 4x15 cabinet finally needed rest, Matt found himself on the market for a new rig. "I´d always gone for whatever looked durable and woudln´t be too big a loss if it got ripped off," he laughs. "So when we began recording, I didn´t know what to get. Then I went next door where Jawbreaker was recording and asked their producer, Rob Cavallo - the guy who did Green Day - `Dude, what did Mike Dirnt play on Dookie?` I really liked that sound, and Rob told me it was an Ampeg SVT-II Pro. I went right out and bought one!" The big tube head powers a single Ampeg 8X10 cabinet, and Matt says that´s plenty. "In places with good PAs, youi don´t really need a ballbuster. This SVT pumps - plus I go direct at clubs. I mean, how much amp do you want?"
(end quote)

Found this here
I'd Get the J bass instead of the P bass.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by Cholas
I think someone else suggested the model with the J pickup and the P pickup... but hey... let's go straight to the mother 'bucker.

it was me!
Just as an update, I did end up buying the Jazz about two weeks ago. I ended up giving it back for a refund after playing on it for two weeks. I thought it was a good bass, but hated the color (Stupid reason, I know). I'm in no dire need for a bass so I'm just gonna keep using the Mark Hoppus for a while till I really need a new one.
def get a jazz bass if you already have a P bass. maybe look into modding your current P bass such as installing a tone knob and possibly changing the pickups. you might not have to buy a whole new bass after all?
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E