Hi, im an electric guitar beginner, and i was wondering if you can give me any suggestions on techniques i can use to make riffs that fit together well. I know about power chords, but i just cant piece em together right, to make a working song. I also want to learn other techniques, so i can make really cool-sounding riffs. any help would be appreciated.
mainly rock/metal type stuff. you know, the sorta stuff that'll sound good through an electric guitar
Learn some theory, and use your ears. For example an F powerchord to a C powerchord to a G powerchord sounds cool, that's a IV-I-V progression in the key of C. You probably don't know what I'm talking about, start out by reading the Crusade articles here on UG or asking your teacher if you have one.
You probably want to learn more in general before writing your own material. If you're still at the power chord stage, chances are you haven't tried playing songs written by other artists.

If you're determined to write songs w/guitar don't let me stop you! There's a great guide by ZeGuitarist that you should check out - it has just about everything covered.
i do know how to play quite a few songs on my guitar. i can play all the rhythm parts to 3's & 7's by queens of the stone age, for example. as well as a few other chunks of different songs. Ty for all your help. ill try and look round for more . any more help would be greatly appreciated.
take riffs you already know and swap the notes around within that structure and vary your right hand technique to come up with new ideas.

the most audibly digestable stuff is often the simplest riffs.
Still a very broad range but for most sort of rock stuff you'll want to probably learn some interesting rhythms to play with your chords. For metal, well you have an incredibly large range of styles there but I'd guess you are going for a NWOBHM or Thrashy sort of sound just generalizing from the info you've given, so you really should learn some palm muting, fast picking, string skipping, arpeggios, that sort of stuff.

Of course you will need some sort of theory knowledge first if you don't already have that, or else it will all make no sense to you.
Just think about what you want your song to sound like, and what elements it's going to have. Plan it out in your head. Then you can start figuring out how to actually play it. Play different notes on your guitar until you find the one you want. And repeat. Get ideas for your songs from other bands/songs that you like, don't copy their stuff but if you like a solo, for example, find out what scale(s) are being used and try to create something similar.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
just pick up the guitar and go for it, just jam out, something will come to you, even as a beginner, listen to some ac/dc and try to come up with a riff in their style, chances are it will sound cool and be easy
Quote by camaross427
just pick up the guitar and go for it, just jam out, something will come to you, even as a beginner, listen to some ac/dc and try to come up with a riff in their style, chances are it will sound cool and be easy

that doesnt really work...i tried to just "jam out" for the longest time and nothing EVER came...learn theory, then apply your theory to the jam sessions then you'll have an idea where to go...with his advice its almost like saying go talk to a japanese person in there language even though you don't know the language AT ALL.
Learn some scales and how they work with different chords. Try starting out with the Major scale and the Pentatonic scale, and learn some more of your favorite songs and examine how they write riffs and try to impersonate that
I hate my sig
1.Pick 3 chords.
2.Play said chords.
3.Add lyrics.
4.Make millions on punk rock song.
5.???
6.Profit!
Just for starters of course. Eventually make it more intricate, like picking the chords, and then add various techniques on a riff progression that fits together.
learn theory, play around with chords and modes until you find stuff you like.
Quote by God
i lol'd