Looking for a new guitar to play metal on (have other guitars for other style so this really is solely for metal) and i'm looking at buying a 1997 BC Rich NJ Series Ironbird off a guy i know.

Bolt-on neck, OFR, BDSM Pickups (which i'd change for EMG's), Rosewood fingerboard (which i would take off and replace with ebony, i just like it more).

Anyone played one of these? I've heard BC Rich were great in the 80's and are starting to put some good models out again recently, but what were they like in the 90's?
It would be expensive to replace the board. If you didn´t replace the board I would say that it is worth it - but if you want ebony it would be better to buy one with it already on it I would think.

That´s funny... I had no idea BC Rich didn´t make a higher end Ironbird... unless I just can´t find it.
Last edited by Vlasco at Oct 11, 2009,
Quote by Vlasco
It would be expensive to replace the board. If you didn´t replace the board I would say that it is worth it - but if you want ebony it would be better to buy one with it already on it I would think.

That´s funny... I had no idea BC Rich didn´t make a higher end Ironbird... unless I just can´t find it.

You mean to get someone to do it? Because my dad can do that kind of stuff.

And i thought the NJ series was pretty high end?
I mean the high high ones that are thousands. I couldn´t find any. If you have someone that can replace it I suppose it is fine then. It´s a fun bit of work.

So long as he has the tools I suppose it would only cost 50€/$ or so to buy everything to do it.
Quote by Vlasco
I mean the high high ones that are thousands. I couldn´t find any. If you have someone that can replace it I suppose it is fine then. It´s a fun bit of work.

So long as he has the tools I suppose it would only cost 50€/$ or so to buy everything to do it.

Yeah he used to repair guitars for a living so hes done stuff like this before. I even think i saw a spare ebony board around our house somewhere the other day so i don't even think i'd have to buy one of those.

So it's a good guitar yes?

I'm also thinking of grinding down the bolt on bit at the back a bit so it give better upper fret access.
Yeah, most of the 90´s BC´s I´ve played have been fine. If you´re buying it from someone you know just play it first - you should know right away if it is nice or not.
90s NJ series are pretty good I have a few NJ Series BC Rich guitars. Depending on the price I say it can be a good buy they tend to be fairly inexpensive. I have played a few and they feel nice I just was never a big fan of the Ironbird shape but I have considered buying one if I could find one for a price I like.

As far as replacing the fret board goes it would cost a lot if you had to pay for it. Your just not talking the fret board, but new frets, fret leveling, a new nut and a set up all in one cost not to mention removing the old board and prepping the neck for the new one. If you just want it for the dark color restain it with Minwax Ebony stain. The stain will wipe right off the inlays so you do not have to worry about that. I darkened up some very light Rosewood fret boards using stain.

As long as your dad can do it for free go for it, free guitar work is always a good thing.

John
Ah he now says the tremolo says 'Licensed under Floyd Rose Parts' on it. Thats means its not actually an OFR, right?
Why not just try it out? That's the only way to tell a good guitar. The year and model name mean nothing.

And it's not an OFR
Not all LFR are bad! My NJ Series Beast and KK V has a LFR and both work fine. I never had a problem with either of them. My Mockingbird LFR was trashed but not because it was bad but because the previous owner blocked the trem. The problem was he glued it in all the way around and tried to adjust the height of the bridge stripping the posts because the bridge was attached solid to the body. I had it replaced with a another LFR and it works well too. I think depending on the brand and price. I am sure you don't get a good LFR on a guitar that costs less than $200.00 new.

NJ series are not really considered high end BC Richs they are in the upper mid range. Some have bolt on necks some do not I think all have LFR trems. You need to go try it out and see it in person and bring your dad because he would know a piece of junk when he sees it. Anyone that repairs or repaired guitars will know exactly what to look for. People call me all the time to go with them when they try out guitars and to help negotiate the price.

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Oct 12, 2009,