hey earlier i was flammed about me wanting buy a gibson sg and you all said buy a tokai so can you please give me some inside info on Tokai because after a couple days researching the look like they have just got a different name tag and the price is cut 40%
yep i haven`t found a bad one in any store, don`t know why you were flamed over a proper gibson though.

given the choice i`d have a gibson though, given the budget and all the other budget les pauls around i`d go for a tokai.
in my previous band we had a huge tokai Amp were we plugged bass, mics and guitar in :p i think they stopped making it or something, so i dont know about the guitars
I have never played a bad tokai. Honestly. And whenever I see a Tokai I play it. Theyre sweet guitars especially the MIJ ones.
You weren't flamed for it, but you were ignorant by saying Tokais are ****. They're good guitars, but if you have the money to buy a Gibson and you want the Gibson, then get the Gibson. You will regret not getting the Gibson if you want the Gibson over the Tokai. No, I don't mean by saying that the Gibson will necessarily be better than the Tokai or vice versa, its just that you want the Gibson, but you're mentally (and possibly financially) settling for something less/you don't want.
The name tag "Gibson" costs alot really. So try and compare the Tokai and that Gibson in a store and you'll see for yourself, which one you like the msot.
Quote by Bloodavian
hey earlier i was flammed about me wanting buy a gibson sg and you all said buy a tokai so can you please give me some inside info on Tokai because after a couple days researching the look like they have just got a different name tag and the price is cut 40%

You weren't flamed, you were told the truth. It sounded like you were going to get the Gibson just because of the name, and you were going to pay almost a grand for looks. You also said Tokai is S*** so why are you looking for one then?
Tokai's are way better than Gibson in my Opinion. The build quality is better even on the Chinese made ones but if you want a Gibson just cause it has got Gibson on it, get it (you're an idiot if you do this) but if you want a SG that sounds awesome get a Tokai for like less than half the price of a Gibson.

Btw never call Tokai s*** again it just makes you look like an idiot that knows nothing about guitars
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Last edited by Tokai09 at Oct 11, 2009,
Quote by Tokai09
Tokai's are way better than Gibson in my Opinion. The build quality is better even on the Chinese made ones but if you want a Gibson just cause it has got Gibson on it, get it (you're an idiot if you do this) but if you want a SG that sounds awesome get a Tokai for like less than half the price of a Gibson.

Btw never call Tokai s*** again it just makes you look like an idiot that knows nothing about guitars

If he's an idiot for buying a Gibson just for the name, then I agree. If he's an idiot because he is choosing a Gibson over a Tokai, then it's all opinion. As I've said to you and other people in other topics, I still have yet to play a Les Paul copy that's on par with a real Gibson.

Tokais are good if you're on a budget, if he has the money for a Gibson, then get the Gibson if he so desperately wants it.
Quote by Bloodavian
A comparable guitar to a Gibson SG from Tokai is going to run you almost as much as the Gibson anyway. Which model Tokai are you looking at specifically?
^ i dunno about that... it does depend on where you are. I've tried tokais which were "better" (in my opinion) than gibsons, and they were quite a bit less than the gibsons- but you're right in saying that they wouldn't be the £200 made-in-china models either. generally speaking, you have to go up to the japanese-made models to get the really nice ones, and at the current exchange rates, that's normally £600+. Not so long ago, it was more like £400+.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
you're right in saying that they wouldn't be the £200 made-in-china models either. generally speaking, you have to go up to the japanese-made models to get the really nice ones, and at the current exchange rates, that's normally £600+. Not so long ago, it was more like £400+.

I dunno, my Chinese one sounds as good as my friends Gibson LP Standard and I think that was like a 2005 model. Cheaper Tokais can be hit and miss but not in a bad way like Gibson Studio hit and miss sorta thing.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

that's possible. I'm going by the general feel of quality as well as the tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Tokai's rep was made on their Japanese built line which was apparently top quality. When I priced a Tokai Japan LP recently it wasn't cheap. Over $2000.00 CAD which is cheaper than any Gibson LP but not as cheap as my Elitist GT @ $1475.00 CAD. If their Jap SG's are anything like the LPs you'll probably like them. Can these be tried before buying though or are they strickly an on-line purchase?
Moving on.....
Quote by Tokai09
I dunno, my Chinese one sounds as good as my friends Gibson LP Standard and I think that was like a 2005 model. Cheaper Tokais can be hit and miss but not in a bad way like Gibson Studio hit and miss sorta thing.
How exactly can something be hit or miss in a good way?

Just out of curiosity, how long have you been playing guitar?
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 11, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Just out of curiosity, how long have you been playing guitar?

5 - 6 years

Quote by al112987
How exactly can something be hit or miss in a good way?

Well I've found the Tokai standard is never really low but I do find the same models differ, some sound better than others but like only slightly where as the Gibson Studios can sound good then another can sound quite bad.

I have a Japanese Tokai. It's an incredible guitar, and I would happily take it over any Gibson. I have a friend who's had several custom shop LP's and sold them all. He now plays an ls230 and absolutely loves it. Great quality, great playability, and awesome tops on them.
The chinese ones are a different matter, but I'd thoroughly reccomend a Japanese model.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by KenG
Can these be tried before buying though or are they strickly an on-line purchase?

depends on your country, unfortunately. you can try them in shops in the UK (though they'll have the modified headstock), and possibly europe too, but I don't think they're as easy to get to try in the US and canada. There were/are also a lot of fakes in canada, something about the distributor got dropped then they went ahead and got some fakes made. i'm not sure exactly, there's more info on the tokai registry website.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
depends on your country, unfortunately. you can try them in shops in the UK (though they'll have the modified headstock), and possibly europe too, but I don't think they're as easy to get to try in the US and canada. There were/are also a lot of fakes in canada, something about the distributor got dropped then they went ahead and got some fakes made. i'm not sure exactly, there's more info on the tokai registry website.

They are band in North America

i think you can get the non-clones, there (meaning USA), perhaps, but yeah, that does cut down your options a lot. i'm not sure about canada, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?