hi guys i need some advice
im thinking about taking a gap year in 2 years between uni and sixth form and i thought i might try and roadie for a band in that year
any advice on how to get there and whats best to do?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You aren't going to be a roadie for a huge ass band that can pay you. Small bands can hardly pay for themselves, you think they'll be in a position to give you food and a bed when half the time they'll probably be sleeping in the car?

This
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by 09phillt
lol
do they not pay you then?
or do they just provide stuff like a bed and food?

Do you have any experience of being a roadie at all? Or why would anyone hire you and pay you? Seriously.
You make it sound like you want to work for a famous band from the start for a huge wage. I doubt that will happen.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Oct 11, 2009,
i mean a small band, but no i dont have any experience
how do people survive a tour then?
sounds bloody hard
It probably is bloody hard. I say do it though.

If you want to tour with a band you should get a group of unknown bands, be their band promoter, go in with them for X percent of ticket sales plus drinks sold at the clubs, and prepare for a long ass year.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by 09phillt
hi guys i need some advice

I advise you learn the difference between periods and line breaks and the merits of the Shift key.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

You don't really go looking for roadie work, it sort of find people. Plus, you won't get paid; you've no experience and you're probably going to be working for a local band.

It might be cool if you pair it with another part-time job, that way you could be earning money AND getting some roadie experience.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
play the game Brutal Legend on xbox live arcade. all the roadie experience you'll ever need comes from that game >.>
I have a friend who earns good money as a guitar tech. He's currently on tour with Amy Mcdonald, and was working with Joan Armatrading last year. I suppose that's a little more specific though. He worked his way up from being a sound engineer for loads of bands in small clubs.
It is possible, but it's who you know, and you won't start at the top.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Basically, if you want to eat, you'll have to rent out your anus. And if you want to sleep indoors, be prepared to spoon.
kk
is this a good plan then?
work for half a year, save all the money cos you live with your mum, and then get in with a band?