I'm gonna/wanna buy a new laptop.

BEFORE you say searchbarrr, I used searchbar already and couldn't find someone with a similar situation to me.

I'll try to keep this brief as most of my other threads have been walls o text.

please do give your insights.

What Do I Need?

1. Yes, I'll primarily be using the lappy for recording. I mean, that'll be the most intensive thing I'll be doing. I'll need a firewire port, whether 4 or 6 pin.

2. I do NOT need to watch movies/dvds on my computer and I don't see myself doing intensive graphic work/designing/anythinging. Maybe just a little video editing, but no photoshop or the like.

3. I do NOT plan on playing intensive games. apparently, I don't need a separate graphics processor? or do I still?

I'm not a very techie person, but from all I've ever read and heard, I'll probably wait til Windows 7 is out and tested and NOT get close to Vista. I know the beta or something has been out, but I just want to be sure. xD

I don't understand much either about 64 or 32 bit. What I do understand is there might be compatibility problems if I get 64 bit. I understand 64 bit can get more done, though. BUT, do I need 64 bit for what I'll be doing? At most I have 8 tracks on Adobe Audition. I won't be recording an orchestra or anything.

I guess it'd be more helpful if I explained my situation. xD again I'm using Adobe Audition now, but it slows down a lot. Which annoys the hell out of me of course. I have a Dell Inspiron 6000, 1.5 Ghz processor, 2GB RAM. Please don't get uber technical if you're gonna talk about these, my only knowledge is that a fast processor and a lot of RAM is good.

Am I Open to a Macbook Pro?

if I can't find a good laptop for my needs that's at a lower price than the 13 inch MP, then yes. But I want to explore my options first.

I've tried researching, but most "media" or "mobile studio" laptops are also optimized for graphic performance/video editing/gaming, which I will not be doing. I don't want to pay extra for what I don't need when I can just get a lower priced laptop which will do well for what I'm doing.

Budget?
I'm in the Philippines so I think with the taxes and all, it's gonna be more expensive here, but just for reference, I'd like something around US$800, $1000 max. ALTHOUGH I'm not familiar with the price range, and exactly what I can get for what price.

All of which is why I turn to UG for help.

So I ended up with a wall of text. but I hope you guys can still help me out. any help will be greatly appreciated!

P.S. please don't turn this into a Mac vs. PC war, there are other places for that..just anticipating the inevitable.

P.P.S. if this is in the wrong forum, please move it. I've tried asking this question in Recording & Riffs but I get no replies. surely there are those in the Pit who know this stuff too..
stuff. :
PRS SE Singlecut
Peavey Triple XXX Super 40 Combo - for sale? considering selling it.
VOX Tonelab LE
Old stuff:
Ibanez GRG270CA (for sale)
Amteq LG15 (for sale)
Zoom G1 (for sale)
Why a laptop?

For pretty much recording i'd go for a desktop with higher tech specs.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Macbook pro doesnt have a firewire port, a standard macbook, possibly upgraded in the apple store would be your best bet imo.
Hello
Mac.
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
Quote by .QOTSA.
Macbook pro doesnt have a firewire port, a standard macbook, possibly upgraded in the apple store would be your best bet imo.

it doesnt have firewire?
i thought it did. are you sure? macbook pro?
aand to the previous post, laptop because i need it to be portable too..i shouldve put that, sorry
stuff. :
PRS SE Singlecut
VOX Tonelab LE
Old stuff:
Amteq LG15 (for sale)
Zoom G1 (for sale)
Quote by Chrisiphone
Why a laptop?

For pretty much recording i'd go for a desktop with higher tech specs.

iMac.

Do it!
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
Quote by RG5EX1
iMac.

Do it!

ahah. price & lack of portability = no. thanks tho. but I'm looking for a notebook.
stuff. :
PRS SE Singlecut
VOX Tonelab LE
Old stuff:
Amteq LG15 (for sale)
Zoom G1 (for sale)
Last edited by penguinsarecool at Oct 11, 2009,
Seriously, why a notebook?

Normally recording studios are somewhat permanent

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by penguinsarecool
ahah. price & lack of portability = no. thanks tho. but I'm looking for a notebook.

Just steal the imac and carry around a generator wherever you go. Instant portability!
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Seriously, why a notebook?

Normally recording studios are somewhat permanent

because, I need to bring it around, to univ, etc. and I don't plan on recording like more than 2 tracks at once or working with more than 8-10 tracks per project..
stuff. :
PRS SE Singlecut
VOX Tonelab LE
Old stuff:
Amteq LG15 (for sale)
Zoom G1 (for sale)
I don't know off the top of my head whether it has a firewire port, but a Dell Studio 15 should do what you want it to.
Quote by Captain Panda
I don't know off the top of my head whether it has a firewire port, but a Dell Studio 15 should do what you want it to.

i've been considering that, but then, a macbook pro would be cheaper then. xD any advantage of the Dell over the mac?

anyone else have other suggestions? feedback about the Studio 15?
stuff. :
PRS SE Singlecut
VOX Tonelab LE
Old stuff:
Amteq LG15 (for sale)
Zoom G1 (for sale)
You'd need something like a prosonus firebox too.

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by penguinsarecool
i've been considering that, but then, a macbook pro would be cheaper then. xD any advantage of the Dell over the mac?

anyone else have other suggestions? feedback about the Studio 15?

The Studio 15 can be cheaper then the macbook, granted you don't take all the options. Also, I have no experience with macs, but iirc lots of programs don't work on mac.
Quote by Chrisiphone
You'd need something like a prosonus firebox too.

don't worry, i have a mackie satellite already. i need me a laptop to replace this one i have now. what's my minimum (to everyone)? like, in RAM and processor speed and stuff.
stuff. :
PRS SE Singlecut
VOX Tonelab LE
Old stuff:
Amteq LG15 (for sale)
Zoom G1 (for sale)
http://computershopper.com/laptops/reviews/asus-k40in value for money for specs, speed, graphics, isnt too heavy, get a cheap port converter. and btw, if it comes in vista, u are eligibile ( i think u are ) for a free win 7 upgrade when it is out in your country

it happened for me, and im using this laptop.

EDIT: no free software here, but the price makes up for it, when u buy the software seperately.
Quote by ep1kz

i've yet to see somebody overthink something as incredibly as you just have

Quote by Captain Panda
The Studio 15 can be cheaper then the macbook, granted you don't take all the options. Also, I have no experience with macs, but iirc lots of programs don't work on mac.

yeah, that's another to consider i guess. but people do well with macs right? i could use logic on a mac..

I just read a review on the studio 15. it's supposedly a "midrange," normal, for "everyday" use or something like that. do you all think it would be good for my needs?
stuff. :
PRS SE Singlecut
VOX Tonelab LE
Old stuff:
Amteq LG15 (for sale)
Zoom G1 (for sale)
Quote by penguinsarecool
yeah, that's another to consider i guess. but people do well with macs right? i could use logic on a mac..

I just read a review on the studio 15. it's supposedly a "midrange," normal, for "everyday" use or something like that. do you all think it would be good for my needs?

Logic will cost extra money too, it's not cheap either.

Even though I am a mac guy through and through, a well specced Dell will be much better for you.

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by GrayFoxz
http://computershopper.com/laptops/reviews/asus-k40in value for money for specs, speed, graphics, isnt too heavy, get a cheap port converter. and btw, if it comes in vista, u are eligibile ( i think u are ) for a free win 7 upgrade when it is out in your country

it happened for me, and im using this laptop.

EDIT: no free software here, but the price makes up for it, when u buy the software seperately.

thanks for that, but I don't think I need a separate GPU. sucks battery and i have to pay more than i need to, i believe? and id like firewire..thanks tho. xD people tell me to get asus but I don't know what model to start researching.
stuff. :
PRS SE Singlecut
VOX Tonelab LE
Old stuff:
Amteq LG15 (for sale)
Zoom G1 (for sale)
Computer? BAH! Everyone knows that everyone knows that everyone uses Wiis for this type of stuff now.
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
Quote by metaldud536
Why don't you:
build a $500 desktop to record in one location
and buy a cheap laptop to carry around

build? ha. ha. ha.

i dont know how to build. 0_o u mean make someone do it for me right? lol

/n00bsorry

What do you guys think about the Lenovo Y450? It looks pretty good as well..

THANKS for all the replies so far.
stuff. :
PRS SE Singlecut
VOX Tonelab LE
Old stuff:
Amteq LG15 (for sale)
Zoom G1 (for sale)
Quote by metaldud536
Listen d00d, you're gonna want something with lots processing power. I don't think these Core 2 Duos running at 2.1ghz are gonna cut it.

i thought core2duos were good d00d 0_o sorry, educate me!

im really far from deciding to get a desktop. i move my present laptop now a lot.

what exactly do i need spec wise?
stuff. :
PRS SE Singlecut
VOX Tonelab LE
Old stuff:
Amteq LG15 (for sale)
Zoom G1 (for sale)
Quote by Captain Panda
Well, I'm guessing adobe audition is the most advanced program you'll use, so anything above these specs should do:

http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/systemreqs/

but these are minimum requirements, which my Dell goes over. and im still having probs 0_o
stuff. :
PRS SE Singlecut
VOX Tonelab LE
Old stuff:
Amteq LG15 (for sale)
Zoom G1 (for sale)
Quote by penguinsarecool
but these are minimum requirements, which my Dell goes over. and im still having probs 0_o

The Studio 15 has an option for a intel i7 processor, which should be fast enough.
Okay, I've never seen a laptop used for serious recording..... What you need is a desktop with a decent, roubust setup preferrably with a RAID for added data security. Laptops are a p1ss poor choice for multiple reasons:

1. No redundancy as they only have 1 or 2 hard drives in a lappy. If you lose your HDD you lose your recordings, simple as.
2. HDD speed. By running RAID you can write to HDDs far faster than a single HDD.
3. Security. Laptops are easy to steal... Desktops aren't
4. Input choice. Desktops give you far more flexibility than laptops...
5. Upgradability. Want more HDD space on a desktop.. simple job. Want more space on a laptop, you'll either need external storage (slow) or a HDD upgrade = ballache.

SH
Quote by SmellyHarold
Okay, I've never seen a laptop used for serious recording..... What you need is a desktop with a decent, roubust setup preferrably with a RAID for added data security. Laptops are a p1ss poor choice for multiple reasons:

1. No redundancy as they only have 1 or 2 hard drives in a lappy. If you lose your HDD you lose your recordings, simple as.
2. HDD speed. By running RAID you can write to HDDs far faster than a single HDD.
5. Upgradability. Want more HDD space on a desktop.. simple job. Want more space on a laptop, you'll either need external storage (slow) or a HDD upgrade = ballache.

SH

Exactly. TS, are you gonna be recording music everywhere you go or something?
oh, okay, but that was the ONLY laptop i saw at an I.T fair a couple of weeks ago that was value for its money at that price range.
Quote by ep1kz

i've yet to see somebody overthink something as incredibly as you just have

Quote by SmellyHarold

SH

i dont understand 1 and 2. im guessing for #1 you mean, if my HDD crashes? for 3, il take care of my laptop. for 4, i just need firewire..for 5, well i still havent needed to add HDD space, and i think id rather have external storage over a bulky desktop..

thanks for the help tho, i understand where your coming from. i just dont feel ready to give up the portability..even with a desktop+lappy, id rather have everything in one place..how about the i7 processor on a Dell Studio 15 as someone said?
stuff. :
PRS SE Singlecut
VOX Tonelab LE
Old stuff:
Amteq LG15 (for sale)
Zoom G1 (for sale)