hey fellow shredders, im having trouble with pull offs, lets say im shredding on the 3rd string (G) and i pull off i always seem to hit the B string, whats some tips/exercise's that could help me out, thanks in advance.
the ability to mute the other with your picking hand
look at some lead solos and watch their hand position
at the same time though you also got to maintain accuracy with your fretting hand and try to limit how much you touch other strings, realistically there should be minimal to zero excess noise
Quote by Martindecorum
the ability to mute the other with your picking hand

This.

When I play a warm up I have which is just hammer on's and pull offs on one string, ill use my picking hand to mute all the other strings.

If its a load of hammer on's and pull offs followed by picking, then I use my fretting hand to mute other strings. Its just a matter of practice practice practice.
Been away, am back
Use the underside of your index to mute the bottom few strings. Try to keep it relatively (but not completely) flat so that it touches the lower strings lightly. Even if you hit the lower strings when you pull-off, there would not be excess noise.

EDIT: I just realised I hit the lower strings quite often when I pull off, but they don't ring. Is this necessarily bad?
Last edited by Timothongz at Oct 11, 2009,
Quote by Timothongz

EDIT: I just realised I hit the lower strings quite often when I pull off, but they don't ring. Is this necessarily bad?

Not if you mute them with your index finger I would say..
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
What everyone else said about muting, plus practice pull-offs a LOT. With massive practice, your movements become smaller, and neater, and more precise, and it's a lot less likely that you'll catch the next string up.
Quote by se012101
What everyone else said about muting, plus practice pull-offs a LOT. With massive practice, your movements become smaller, and neater, and more precise, and it's a lot less likely that you'll catch the next string up.

Yeah, it's actually not too hard to miss the other strings if you work on using finger strength rather than wrist flick and pull up and out not across.

Regarding muting -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc

Smaller finger movements -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvhZ80OsuTQ&feature=channel

Sorry to plug self but these were the situations these vids were made for.