ive having trouble stopping power chords ringing when they use open strings its hard to explain but hopefully this crappy diagram will help

e --------------
g --------------
b --------------
d 0--0--0--0--0
a 0--0--0--0--0
D 0--0--0--0--0

say i have to play that but the power chords shouldnt ring and there should be silences in between each one...how do i do that....ive tryed laying my hand over the strings inbetween strums but i can never get the timing right with putting my hand down and lifting it off

any help appreciated
Xbox Live GT: A7X Dan 09

Only Playing Gears Of War 2 ATM
Yeah just get the timing right. And when you have do the same with chords where you hold down frets, lift your finger slightly and press again.
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic
Selfmade Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream"
You just need to get the timing right with the muting. there's nothing else to do about it, really.
Also try muting them with your picking hand, like you would palm mute, but a little further away from the bridge.

both left and right hand at the same time is the most effective, just keep doing it till you get the timing right
once you've played the powerchord, lift your fingers up slightly, so there still resting on the string, but they dont ring.

IE: Dont push down on the strings hard enough for them to ring out.
Been away, am back
Quote by Logz
once you've played the powerchord, lift your fingers up slightly, so there still resting on the string, but they dont ring.

IE: Dont push down on the strings hard enough for them to ring out.

He's playing open strings, but that would still work.
Call me Batman.
Quote by J.A.M
He's playing open strings, but that would still work.

Yea, realised that after I posted but he can put his fingers resting on the strings right next to the nut and it'll do the same thing.
Been away, am back
I don't know if placing your fretting hand fingers on the string is the right thing to do here- surely that would just produce a harmonic? Plus it's quite difficult to keep in time (as you've found out).

If it was me, I would use my picking hand to mute the strings- a bit like palm muting. This is actually faster, as after you've strummed the chord, your picking hand is already right next to the strings (rather than your fretting hand fingers which are away from the strings at this point to allow the chord in the first place).

If you get it right it almost becomes one motion. Pick the strings and then use the side of your palm to mute them just afterwards. This is the motion I suggest you use.
Quote by chainsawguitar
I don't know if placing your fretting hand fingers on the string is the right thing to do here- surely that would just produce a harmonic? Plus it's quite difficult to keep in time (as you've found out).

If it was me, I would use my picking hand to mute the strings- a bit like palm muting. This is actually faster, as after you've strummed the chord, your picking hand is already right next to the strings (rather than your fretting hand fingers which are away from the strings at this point to allow the chord in the first place).

If you get it right it almost becomes one motion. Pick the strings and then use the side of your palm to mute them just afterwards. This is the motion I suggest you use.

I find, after a little playing and analysis, that I actually do it both ways at the same time but I don't see why the timing should be any more difficult for the fretting hand than it is for the picking hand and if your economy of motion is good then the fretting hand is no further away from the strings than the picking hand as well...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I find, after a little playing and analysis, that I actually do it both ways at the same time but I don't see why the timing should be any more difficult for the fretting hand than it is for the picking hand and if your economy of motion is good then the fretting hand is no further away from the strings than the picking hand as well...

It sounds like you're almost saying my "economy of motion" isn't so good?

Where is your fretting hand when you're playing an open D powerchord in drop-D tuning? It doesn't have to be right next to the first fret- thats not economy of motion, it depends where you need to go next.

You don't actually need your fretting hand to be anywhere specifically for this chord.

"Economy of Motion" doesn't translate to "Gluing your hand to the guitar neck", as you seem to be suggesting. What if the powerchord used notes on other frets?

E.G.

D--7--
A--5--
D--0--

or

e------
B--3---
G--2---
D--0---
A--0---
D--0---

How would you mute that with your fretting hand without moving your fingers?

Economy of Motion means the least amount of movement.
Quote by chainsawguitar
It sounds like you're almost saying my "economy of motion" isn't so good?

Where is your fretting hand when you're playing an open D powerchord in drop-D tuning? It doesn't have to be right next to the first fret- thats not economy of motion, it depends where you need to go next.

You don't actually need your fretting hand to be anywhere specifically for this chord.

"Economy of Motion" doesn't translate to "Gluing your hand to the guitar neck", as you seem to be suggesting. What if the powerchord used notes on other frets?

E.G.

D--7--
A--5--
D--0--

or

e------
B--3---
G--2---
D--0---
A--0---
D--0---

How would you mute that with your fretting hand without moving your fingers?

Economy of Motion means the least amount of movement.

In both of those other cases I would use the fingers that aren't being used. I also said, if you read back, that I do both at the same time for the most part so if either hand is busy with something else I can quite easily do the other.

In addition... you seem to be implying that the only place you can mute an open string is near the first fret... wut?

I might very well call you out on your economy of motion if your videos were of you actually playing and were higher quality
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.