Im looking to get a new tube amp for my dorm because the mg i stole from my friend is not cutting it. Ideally i want an amp that is around 30 watts but has variable wattage so i can use it in my dorm as well.

budget is not an issue but preferably keep it around a grand
i focus on classic rock, jazz, blues, and vold school metal

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

vox VT30
or POD X3 Live + Studio monitors
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I am looking for a tube amp for when I move into a dorm as well, and 30 watts seems a bit loud.

I was thinking about getting one of the new Vox AC4TV because it is low wattage, variable wattage, and small enough to fit in the tiny closet of space I'm expected to live in.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-AC4TV-4W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=476326

The Vox probably won't be enough for you since you are looking for a 30 watt, but 15 watts of tube is enough to gig with and definitely enough for a dorm, so you may want to look at some of the Fender amps such as the blues Jr
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-Blues-Junior-NOS-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483711

If still unconvinced, I've heard nothing but good things about the Peavey Classic 30
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Classic-30112-Tube-Amp-Combo-?sku=481014

none of these besides the vox have variable switching unfortunately.
Such a ****ty advice..

Maybe you should try Vox Night Train, depends on what you actually play.
It suits your home needs the best but would 15 tube watts be enough for you at rehersal?
In my case it would.
Quote by Now_just_Sue
Such a ****ty advice..

feel free to add me
Quote by Now_just_Sue
Blues Jr is too loud for home use.

so is the night train
feel free to add me
Maybe one of those Vox AmPlug things or whatever they're called. They take headphones so it would be perfect if you need to be quiet. Or if you want a proper amp then maybe a 15 watt Peavey Vypyr.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

Sorry man!
I didn't want to hurt you
It's ok that you prefer all this digital stuff.
But I don't think that it is the best advise.
Quote by Now_just_Sue
I wouldn't say Night Train is loud as the Blues Jr due to triode mode.

i own a 5watt amp and i cant even put the volume past 4 w/o shaking the walls
feel free to add me
Mah house have concrete wall,its a huge different form paper wall
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
i own a 5watt amp and i cant even put the volume past 4 w/o shaking the walls

I cranked the same amp today, and had no rollers on my cab and my entire room was moving.

ps it was in the 3 watt mode!

Thing is, for rehearsal, if you want clean tones above the drummer a 15/18 watter could push through. But if you want maximum tube gain comming out a 5-10 watter could do.
Quote by timzee117
Im looking to get a new tube amp for my dorm because the mg i stole from my friend is not cutting it. Ideally i want an amp that is around 30 watts but has variable wattage so i can use it in my dorm as well.

budget is not an issue but preferably keep it around a grand
i focus on classic rock, jazz, blues, and vold school metal

I'm guessing he's not your friend any more... Why'd you steal an MG anyway?

Maybe a blackheart or HT-5.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Just get what you want and turn the volume down, rather than narrowing it down by wattage.

I dont really get UGs mentality of "you never need more than x watts, so NEVER ****ING BUY ANYTHING MORE THAN THAT"
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Last edited by IsThereLoveInSp at Oct 11, 2009,
first thing that comes to mind is the egnater rebel 20. 20W should be loud enough for jamming and stuff, but it is also power scalable so it can do lower volumes as well. i was skeptical at first, but then i tried thought it sounded great. doesnt look like it comes in a combo though, so you would have to get the mini-stack (or buy a separate cab).

there is also a 30W version which i have not tried (just saw it on MF, want to try it). got some cool options like different power scaling for each channel. the combo is a little more than the mini-stack of the 20, but it does give you your extra 10W and a second channel with some neat options.

basicly thats the amp that comes to mind for your criteria. price fits, power scaling, right wattage range, and will do those styles.

Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
Just get what you want and turn the volume down, rather than narrowing it down by wattage.

I dont really get UGs mentality of "you never need more than x watts, so NEVER ****ING BUY ANYTHING MORE THAN THAT"

some of us like power tube saturation. cranking a 5W valve amp is going to sound completly different than just turning down a 100W amp to the same volume. sure there are times when just turning it down is a viable option, but a lot of people like the dynamics and tone of an amp turned up instead of down. thats why i play my 5W amp more than i play my 30W amp. i like the way it sounds turned up, simple as that.
to avoid having my thread completely jacked it might be appropriate to post,

i was thinking of either gettting a blackheart handsome devil, fender blues junior, or a vox night train. I know the blackhearrt and teh vox have variable wattage but will i still have a clean tone at rehearsal volumes?

this led me to look into the new 30 watt egnater. it has a dial that makes it go from 1 watt to 30 and this seems ideal, has anyone tried out this amp or has any experiece with it?

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Egnator Rebel 20
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by jof1029

some of us like power tube saturation. cranking a 5W valve amp is going to sound completly different than just turning down a 100W amp to the same volume. sure there are times when just turning it down is a viable option, but a lot of people like the dynamics and tone of an amp turned up instead of down. thats why i play my 5W amp more than i play my 30W amp. i like the way it sounds turned up, simple as that.

Thanks for assuming I dont, I tried to make that pretty clear in the original post.

From my dorm experience, it is completely unreasonable to expect to be able to reach power tube saturation levels even with a 5w without it being WAY too loud, therefor it doesnt make any sense to narrow down the selection if the reason youre doing it doesnt matter in the first place.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
You're not going to get a tube amp of any wattage (except maybe a zvex nano) saturated in a dorm room without an attenuator. End of story. To that end, I'd suggest:
-An AC-4 (decent built-in attenuator, great sounding amp) plus a larger amp for gigging
-The Egnator rebel
- Something for headphones (POD, Amplug, GT10, etc) and a larger amp for gigging.

I think the Rebel is your only one-amp solution, although things like the THD univalve/bivalve could certainly work. Those are more expensive though.
im not trying to get cranked tones in a dorm i know i cant do that. i just figured the variable wattage would be better then having my splawn turned down to 1

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

bump?