Hey guyz I'm thinking of getting a BLACK LP style guitar.

I play a variety of stuff: Fightstar, Kings of Leon, Muse, A Day To Remember, Avenged Sevenfold, so I'd like a guitar that can handle heavy gain usage, as well as being able to clean up well.

Also I'm looking to spend under £400, hopefully having a hardcase with that as well.

I'd appreciate if anyone could point me in the way of a good guitar with a decent price

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Oct 11, 2009,
Tokai make some great les paul models, should be a few around your budget. Should be an improvement on Epis in the same range.
There's a nice Korean black Epi Custom in a shop near me going for £350 lol
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Look around for a used PRS. You might have to go a little bit over your budget but it's definetly worth it.

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just seen this. Tokai ALC53:

for £290....good value?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
The best LP style guitar I've ever had my hands on was a rally LP. I like it even better than the Gibson LP's. They can be found online for around 140 quid (give or take, I got mine for 40 but I've seen them for 180 quid) so even though they don't come with a hard case you can still get the case and stay way under budget.

My rally was a solid bookmatched AAAA flamed maple top with a 2pc mahogany back. The pickups were absolutely fantastic as well and from a person that makes pickups for a living, that says a lot! I'm sure you can find it in black. It's just a matter of looking around a bit.
Not taking any online orders.
The best two options for the UK are the Vintage Advance series - you can get their LP copy for about £250 - or an Epiphone (our quality control is much better than the QC the Epis sold to America go through).

There's also ESP/LTD, Indie, Fret King, Tokai and Rally, all that make decent LP copies. Vintage (Advance series) are the best value for money though, or our Epis are generally better.

Quote by CorduroyEW
The best LP style guitar I've ever had my hands on was a rally LP. I like it even better than the Gibson LP's. They can be found online for around 140 quid (give or take, I got mine for 40 but I've seen them for 180 quid) so even though they don't come with a hard case you can still get the case and stay way under budget.

My rally was a solid bookmatched AAAA flamed maple top with a 2pc mahogany back. .
I have the top Rally model and I can tell you there is no way their flame tops are AAAA grade, or even solid. They're a AA grade veneer at best.

However, they are alright guitars.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Oct 11, 2009,
Quote by MrFlibble
The best two options for the UK are the Vintage Advance series - you can get their LP copy for about £250 - or an Epiphone (our quality control is much better than the QC the Epis sold to America go through).

There's also ESP/LTD, Indie, Fret King, Tokai and Rally, all that make decent LP copies. Vintage (Advance series) are the best value for money though, or our Epis are generally better.

I have the top Rally model and I can tell you there is no way their flame tops are AAAA grade, or even solid. They're a AA grade veneer at best.

However, they are alright guitars.

I'd get the Vintage, but it has a horrible thumb cut out, ruins the vibe of the guitars.

Just seen that Tokai though, which is basically the same as the Vintage without the cutout.

And TC Ellish guitars look exceptional.

Is it possible to add pickup covers on guitars, and like change knobs and stuff?

You won't get a good (new) Tokai for that money. The burny looks alright. There are a few other options, such as a washburn wi66 pro, a few Michael Kelly guitars and maybe an epi with some new pickups. If it was me, the Washburn idol would be my first choice. Easy to find and leagues ahead of any other singlecut at this price point IMO.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
I'd get the Vintage, but it has a horrible thumb cut out, ruins the vibe of the guitars.
If you have smaller/medium hands though, it really does help the upper fret access a lot. 'Course if you have larger hands then it's a moot point, but meh.

Is it possible to add pickup covers on guitars, and like change knobs and stuff?
Changing knobs can be done very eaisly, you just have to make sure you get the right fittings (i.e. pots can have solid or split shafts, both in imperial or metric measurements - knobs can be made for any combination of these). So long as you buy a knob with the right fitting, you can just push them on (some use set screws that you'll need to tighten to fasten them on properly).
Adding pickup covers is a little harder as you'll need to solder those on and wax seal/'pot' the pickups.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
If you have smaller/medium hands though, it really does help the upper fret access a lot. 'Course if you have larger hands then it's a moot point, but meh.

Changing knobs can be done very eaisly, you just have to make sure you get the right fittings (i.e. pots can have solid or split shafts, both in imperial or metric measurements - knobs can be made for any combination of these). So long as you buy a knob with the right fitting, you can just push them on (some use set screws that you'll need to tighten to fasten them on properly).
Adding pickup covers is a little harder as you'll need to solder those on and wax seal/'pot' the pickups.

Thanks for the info/

Do you know anything about the Tokai ALC53, and whether its a good guitar or not? You seem knowledgable about LPs

Sadly I can't say for that specific model; all I can tell you is I've played quite a few Tokai guitars (a few LP style guitars as well as others) and they've all been really nice, though I couldn't tell you what specific model they were.

Generally though, most of the lower/medium-level LPs are all made in the same two factories using the same parts. For example, there is no difference between an Agile and a Rally LP copy because they're made by the exact same people using the exact same parts in the exact same factory. Some of the high end Tokais are made in Japan and Epiphone have their own dedicated factory, but other than that basically every LP copy is made the same, there's no particular reason to favour any one brand over the other. It's just a question of what's most affordable. It just so happens that to me, I believe that Vintage is the best bet for the UK as they're the most commonly available and generally the cheapest, but I wouldn't expect a Tokai of a similar price to be any worse (or better, for that matter).
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Thanks for the info/

Do you know anything about the Tokai ALC53, and whether its a good guitar or not? You seem knowledgable about LPs

They're ok, you're better off saving up to about to the £400 - £550 mark and get a Japanese or Chinese model. Even though I love Tokai the ALC53 isn't that great, good-ish sounding but it's made outta Basswood last time I checked.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Last edited by Tokai09 at Oct 11, 2009,
Quote by Tokai09
They're ok, you're better off saving up to about to the £400 - £550 mark and get a Japanese or Chinese model. Even though I love Tokai the ALC53 isn't that great, good-ish sounding but it's made outta Basswood last time I checked.

Mahogany actually

Basically i'm looking at all mahogany instruments, since they have a darker sound, without the brightness of a maple cap smacked on top?

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Mahogany actually

Basically i'm looking at all mahogany instruments, since they have a darker sound, without the brightness of a maple cap smacked on top?

Alder actually http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=96&category_id=16&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=31

The basic looking ALC53 are made out of Basswood since I own one.

I think so, not to sure though, that's the sorta question you gotta ask Mr.Flibble.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Quote by MrFlibble

Mine is solid and it is what I would call AAAA. There is no rigid grading standard for tonewood but the flame on the maple top of my guitar is quite a bit better than the flame you see on most guitars advertised as having AAA flame.
Not taking any online orders.
I got my Epi LP Standard in ebony black for £400, and it's absolutely lovely. Sure you could get it cheaper though. Always try before you buy though!
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL
Custom 2x12 G12H Extension Cab

Nevermind.........