Hi,
I'll cut straight to the point; I have a Fulltone OCD which is an amazing overdrive that gives me everything from slight overdrives to a nice crunch. Right now it gives me enough to play The Bends by Radiohead for example. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi_QqX5ioWM)

However, I've found it has been lacking in the solo department. Not much sustain is provided and it doesn't quite have the singing qualities I look for in solos. What i'm looking for is another overdrive/distortion pedal to push the OD supplied by my OCD into this kind of territory - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSENpGTTuao (from around 50 seconds into the video) The overdrive channel on my amp half covers this - but not very well. It sounds a bit too harsh. I've been looking at some Tubescreamers (preferably modded ones) and Timmy by Paul Cochrane. My budget stands around £150 maximum.

I use a Strat into a Hot Rod Deluxe with an OCD and a Big Muff. Many thanks
Last edited by OriginOfSymetry at Oct 11, 2009,
Maybe a Digitech Bad Monkey? I think that's what you mean. Or if you want a singing sound you could get a delay or something to fatten up the sound and make solos cut through. I recommend the Electro Harmonix Memory Boy.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Buy a Boss SD-1 , Great pedal for boosts
Vintage ICON Peter Green Replica Les Paul
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (New Valves )
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo
if you want to get the tone from that frusciante video, use the big muff, and if thats not enough, put the OCD in front of it and set the drive to 0
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
The Big Muff does work in some situations but it always seems to sound very 'muffy' i'm not sure how to say it. I think i'm basicly looking for more gain over my OCD. I'll definitely look into delay/reverb I think that's part of it too.
A boost pedal? EHX LBP-1 £30 and boost the amount of gain for the amp. Or, if you want something for solos how about an EQ? Boss GE-7 or since you have a big budget an MXR 10 band. The MXR is quite expensive but it has both a gain and a level booster which IMO is massivley useful.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

But would those boosts add quite a lot of volume? I don't really want it to get too much louder as I obsess about getting volumes right before gigs etc. I wouldn't want anything to change that. If the boosts just add gain that would be great.
Xotic BB Preamp, lots of tonal options. I love mine. I get everything from clean breakup to andy timmons type tone on it's own. In front of a dirty channel it absolutely screams. And you can set it to have a huge DB boost when you switch it on, none at all or anywhere in between.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Last edited by Necrophagist777 at Oct 11, 2009,
Quote by OriginOfSymetry
But would those boosts add quite a lot of volume? I don't really want it to get too much louder as I obsess about getting volumes right before gigs etc. I wouldn't want anything to change that. If the boosts just add gain that would be great.

My recommendation is to try one, I've not really had much chance to try one. However if that's what your looking for I'd like to say the 10 band again. Level slider means you can keep volume the same, gain lets you increase the gain and then you can tweak your sound to fatten up or give a mids boost or something for solos.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey