i have a valve king 112 and i think it sounds great at the moment but i really want to add like a really aggressive distortion something that makes sound huge and angry.

i went to samash yesterday and tried a few pedals i tried the TS808 and the only thing the pedal did for me is just improve my sustain but i didn't feel it made a huge difference like in the growl of the distortion. they didn't have a bad monkey so i was unable to try one but most of the pedals i tried they just seem to blend with distortion on amp. is this the way the distortion pedals work?

i dont have a foot switch with my amplifier. and the one peavey sells is for 40$ and looks like plastic so i was thinking of maybe getting a distortion pedal that i could use and just press when im on the clean channel to go to distortion or when im in distortion mode to add the pedal on top of that to really make it sound mean and heavy

what should i do to improve the sound and make sound bigger and more agressive?

any help is appreciated
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
get a new amp.

Valvekings are extremely over priced

edit: good luck selling it though, they have horrible resale value.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Yes, OD's are supposed to blend with the distortion. What settings are you using on your VK? What settings on the OD?

On the OD:

Level 10
Drive 0
Tone 10

on your VK (great setting)

bass 10
mids 4
treble 8
gain 4

with gain and volume boost on
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
I guess an EQ as well, considering I always boost my amps..

On the OD:

Level 7
Drive 0
Tone 6

VK (naturally scooped amps, so I'd boost the mids)

bass 6
mids 8
treble 7
gain 3 - 4
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by touji-za-nai
get a new amp.

Valvekings are extremely over priced

edit: good luck selling it though, they have horrible resale value.

I wouldnt say they were 'that' overpriced, yeah they arnt the best amps but for £250 they are not half bad. You suggest replacing it, but you dont offer any examples of a better amp for around that price mark? Got any suggestions?
No I don't. In my opinion if you're expecting GOOD tone, you'll need to be able to dish out more than $400 or so.

Save up till you have at least $1000.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
VK (naturally scooped amps, so I'd boost the mids)

bass 6
mids 8
treble 7
gain 3 - 4

this one is really nice it keeps the notes still clear and not drowned by bass and still sounds agressive

on your VK (great setting)

bass 10
mids 4
treble 8
gain 4

and this one is pretty good too makes it sound chunky

Yes, OD's are supposed to blend with the distortion. What settings are you using on your VK? What settings on the OD?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfwm27ZiaY8

i was watching this video but i dunno why the distortion sounds so aggressive here he has 212 and i have 112 and i dunno if is the amp or the distortion the pedal he uses that adds more growl to it

do you guys have any other suggestions besides the bad monkey. i want to spend around 50-100$ i could go up to 130$ if the distortion is just amazing or has more features that i could use
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
No I don't. In my opinion if you're expecting GOOD tone, you'll need to be able to dish out more than $400 or so.

Save up till you have at least $1000.

i have the money but im saving at the moment for other things and from what i seen i have to crank the hell out of the amps but i live in an apartment and the wattage is to high so i dont think is worth spending like 1000-2000 on the amplifier if i cant crank it up all the way and i wont be using it professionally besides playing here at home. and the things are huge i was looking at a Marshall jvm410 an the thing is too big to fit in my room

so that's my dilemma here trying to get good tone without breaking the bank and also before i spend 1k-2k i want to be sure the amplifier is what i really want and i haven't had the chance to try an engl in person or a diezel or a framus since samash and guitar center dont have them. so i dunno where else i could try them out

lol, i have the same guitar amd amp as you.blackstar pedals will do

good taste in guitar do you have a blackstar pedal and if so could you record playing with it since videos i saw on youtube most are through strat and they don't play metal
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Quote by stefan1988

good taste in guitar do you have a blackstar pedal and if so could you record playing with it since videos i saw on youtube most are through strat and they don't play metal

A strat can play metal. Just put the right pickups in it. Your not going to get that out of a stock SSS setup. Put a good humbucker made for metal at the bridge and your all set.
Last edited by sparkeyjames at Oct 11, 2009,
All these people telling you the valveking is a bad amp are completly wrong. Its a great amp for the money, I've had huge success with this amp. It sounds great and is tough for the money.

But I do hate the dirty channel on the amp, not my tastes. I use a Boss Ds-1 through the clean channel and a TS9 as a boost and I get a great metal tone or any kinda tone I want from just that simple set up.

Go to the Valveking Thread if you have questions that you actually want to be answered.
You don't want an OD pedal from the looks of it, you want the m audio crunchbox pedal, marshall in a box. Check the proguitarshop demo of it, really good and fits your budget (120 new)
Quote by stefan1988
this one is really nice it keeps the notes still clear and not drowned by bass and still sounds agressive

and this one is pretty good too makes it sound chunky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfwm27ZiaY8

i was watching this video but i dunno why the distortion sounds so aggressive here he has 212 and i have 112 and i dunno if is the amp or the distortion the pedal he uses that adds more growl to it

do you guys have any other suggestions besides the bad monkey. i want to spend around 50-100$ i could go up to 130$ if the distortion is just amazing or has more features that i could use

Bad monkey will do fine. He probably has his gain dimed on his VK, with bass around 5-6 and mids around 5 and treble like 8. The Bad monkey iss probably set like

Gain 1.5-2
Level 10
Tone 10
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
$400USD to dish out on the VK? where is this coming from?

If anyone actually paid attention the what we suggest, the VK thread does not suggest buying these amps NEW, aside from the head, which is more reasonably priced.

The most it would cost to get the best sound out of the VK is $200, with labor fees included. You really need to do the OT change, bias mod, and speaker change.

That's it.

To TS...
Any two-button footswitch should be compatible with the VK.
Look at the WIKI in my sig for information on settings and what not.
Use very little gain on the TS, and lower your gain a tad. Also, raise volume and mids if you can.
The Bad Monkey doesn't have a tone control, it has a seperate Low and High control.

The settings I'd recommend for boosting would be level 10 gain 0 high 5 low 5.

As Jason43 said, preamp tubes are a great idea. You could also get an EQ (such as the MXR M-108) for the effects loop, which is my solution. It helps alot with clarity, so much so that you may be very surprised at what the amp sounds like without it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The valve king can sound great for metal but you need an eq, overdrive, new preamp tubes and maybe a new speaker.

A really good cheap overdrive that has a giant level boost is the danelectro cool cat drive, really cheap too. Clone of the fulltone ocd. A cheap eq is the danelectro fish n chips, or the artec eq, biyang eq, mars eq most of those however minus the fish n chips can only be found on ebay.

Put some tungsol 12ax7s in the preamp.

There was a guy in the cool cat thread who posted this

classicrocker01 says "I used to boost my Valveking with a Digitech Tone Driver. It sounded alright, but I wasn't happy with the sound to the point that I was about to sell them both.

Wow, I stuck my CC Overdrive in front of my VK as a boost just for the lulz and it convinced me to keep my VK

Then I started researching on here and found out it was an OCD copy

Here's a clip my VK boosted by the CC if anyone wants to hear, because I know there's a VK owner reading this looking for a cheap OD. And I know this because every VK needs an OD pedal and VK owners are cheapasses, which is the reason we own VKs

Gain: 0 Level: maxed Tone about halfway.

http://www.netmusicians.org/?sectio...vey%20Valveking"
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
lots of suggestions guys. i have to research all of them

what would be the best thing i could spend money right now. which one would make the most difference ? the EQ,OD,preamp tubes,speaker change,sonic maximizer?

sonic maximizer in the FX loop.

im not really familiar with the sonic maximizer. what is it exactly?

and im also a little confused is an overdrive the same as distortion? i thought they were different? and if they are different how come the OD improves the distortion?

a few other things i tried is putting a cable on the send and return thing and putting 1/4 plug on the 1st plug and connecting the guitar to the 2nd it has improved the clarity of the amplifier

Here's a clip my VK boosted by the CC if anyone wants to hear, because I know there's a VK owner reading this looking for a cheap OD. And I know this because every VK needs an OD pedal and VK owners are cheapasses, which is the reason we own VKs

Gain: 0 Level: maxed Tone about halfway.

http://www.netmusicians.org/?sectio...vey%20Valveking"

i think the link got cut or something but i cant find the clip you are talking about
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff