Poll: How do you usually like your music?
Poll Options
View poll results: How do you usually like your music?
They need a singer and words, no instrumentals.
0 0%
I prefer vocals, but like some instrumentals.
41 62%
Mostly instrumental music, but like some vocal music.
24 36%
Instrumental music, no vocals at all ever.
1 2%
Voters: 66.
I need these poll results for a class assignment.

What do you prefer to listen to when listening to music?
There should be an option for half and half.
"I'm reaching up and reaching out,
I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me.
And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been."

I'm indifferent. If the music is good, the music is good.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I chose the second option, but like OctavariumX, I think half and half would probably be closer to what I like. I treat vocals as I would any other instrument, but a great vocalist and/or vocal harmonies can really make a song amazing. I don't pay attention to lyrics, but if they really go well with the music that's a plus.
if he put a half-and-half option, everyone would just choose that instead of really thinking about it and giving him statistics of value...
At first I too thought, ah.. where's the half and half option, and just put the second option. After further consideration, I listen to music with vocals waaaay more, but It's not like I have anything against instrumentals.

I think most people would say they're half and half, but if you look at what they really listen to I'm willing to bet most people listen to songs with vocals a greater majority of time. They just want to say half and half because they feel like they're writing off instrumentals, when instrumentals aren't lesser forms of music in anyway, even though they really do listen to songs with vocals most often.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

I generally like music that has instruments and vocals, but I listen to quite a bit of dream theatre (not to keen on the singer) and I like their instrumental songs like Hell's kitchen
Quote by 3holepunch
At first I too thought, ah.. where's the half and half option, and just put the second option. After further consideration, I listen to music with vocals waaaay more, but It's not like I have anything against instrumentals.

I think most people would say they're half and half, but if you look at what they really listen to I'm willing to bet most people listen to songs with vocals a greater majority of time. They just want to say half and half because they feel like they're writing off instrumentals, when instrumentals aren't lesser forms of music in anyway, even though they really do listen to songs with vocals most often.

The questions is biased toward preference though. I don't really have a preference. I listen to more music with vocals, but it's much more out-there and available than instrumental music (in contemporary styles).
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
In general, humans will like music with vocals better because we can pull more emotion out of the human voice than we can a melody on any other instrument. As far as conveying emotions go, the human voice is far superior than any instrument.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
In general, humans will like music with vocals better because we can pull more emotion out of the human voice than we can a melody on any other instrument. As far as conveying emotions go, the human voice is far superior than any instrument.

In general, yes, I'd agree with this. But there are some instrumental pieces that get at my emotions FAR better than any vocal song.
Quote by OctavariumX

I agree.
I think that the questions should be as they are, without a "half-and-half" option. I chose the second option but, like some have stated before, equally like instrumental music as opposed to instruments with vocals. If I PREFERED instrumental music, though, I would listen to it more than instruments with vocals. There are plenty of both types out there to listen to.

EDIT:F@!k. I screwed up. I meant to pick the second instead of the third.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by z4twenny
if i wanna fart into a mic, run it thru delay and an auto tuner set to the key of E and set it to a drum beat i can and its music.
Last edited by DrPeppler at Oct 12, 2009,
Quote by OctavariumX

Agreed. It all comes down to the track in question in the end. Some work better with vocals, some work better without them.
I chose the second option, but 95% of the time I will listen to songs with vocals.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Eastwinn

Yet we still invented and continue to use instruments that imitate the human voice, for the same purpose
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
Definetely half and half... I don't have a real "preference"
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
+ a million.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Vocals are just another instrument. If used well, I like them; if used poorly, I don't like them. Its no different from any other instrument, really.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot

+1
shred is gaudy music
i love blues instrumentals, and buckethead, but i tend to listen to more vocals, they are probably the best way of expressing yourself, everyone has a different sound.