Hey there pit! Once again, i come forth with a question. Not sure if its the right place i should be asking, but hey, lets see what you've got.

basically, i'm playing an open mic night tonight, and i want to play a joe satriani song. Thing is, i don't have a band, and it kinda sounds crappy without a band (or at least a drum kit) behind it. I've got the song i want to cover, but is there a way to remove the lead guitar from it while keeping the rhythm, the bass and the drums?

Anything you guys can put forward would be extremely helpful! This could be the start of my big break onto the Uni music scene!
Quote by Rocker007
Blackrat has won this thread. That is an awsome post.

This was posted right after I posted said post in a completely different thread... Whups.

"There are 3 types of people in this world... Those who can count, and those who can't."
Would something like turning down the mids on the track down and the mids on your amp up work?
Nearly all recordings these days are mixed down into two channels: left and right.

If the guitar track on the Satch song is only on one side (listen through earphones to find out) you could disconnect that speaker at the gig (bad for the PA though).

To subtract the guitar track you need to have access to the orignal master tapes. So you really have to go ask Joe Satriani if you can borrow them.

Otherwise, there is software you can use to isolate and elliminate certain frequencies, but it'll take away from the rest of the track too and it'll probably sound rubbish.
Look for backing tracks, or make them yourself.

Even Guitar Pro isnt too bad, ideally you could take Guitar Pro drums, export it in midi, and use EZdrummer or something to make the drum track, and then record rhythm and bass yourself.

For bass you could always use midi, or record it on guitar and detune it. If done well, this works nicely.
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
Short answer: no.

Longer answer: yes, but it won't sound particularly good.

The better longer answer: Yes, but it will sound like trash.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Cheers guys! I used to have guitar pro so it wasn't a problem back then, but i got a new laptop and somehow lost my code and everything so i can't get it back without paying again. I got Tuxguitar now but the guitar just sounds terrible. Drums are good though.

I'll have a look for the backing track for what i want, that post was really appreciated TheSecondRaid.

If i can get a video of me playing i'll put it up if anyone wants to watch it.

Thanks again!
Quote by Rocker007
Blackrat has won this thread. That is an awsome post.

This was posted right after I posted said post in a completely different thread... Whups.

"There are 3 types of people in this world... Those who can count, and those who can't."