What is the recommended pick thickness and pick plastic for playing metal? Also, which won't be too hard on my 5-year-old strings that never popped?
I prefer Jazz III's, although i don't play metal. And you should change your strings.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Change your strings, please.

I use Dunlop Jazz Eric Johnson TX (Much like Jazz III's with somehow a better grip IMO and a very lil' bit longer.
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
chnage your strings and use what ever you think makes the best sound to your interest. I find alot of metal bands use thick picks. I use Dunlop .73 and they're just right for me.
your strings dont need to "pop" before you change them... change them first, then worry about picks.

and for picks, it should be whatever size and type your comfortable with, try out multiple types to get a feel. there isn't a definite type of pick for metal...
damn, I (and most people) change strings AT LEAST once every 3 months. they sound better and feel better.

and I use Dunlop Jazz picks (the purple ones) they're the same shape as the Jazz III but they're a lot cheaper
Quote by The4thHorsemen
damn, I (and most people) change strings AT LEAST once every 3 months. they sound better and feel better.

and I use Dunlop Jazz picks (the purple ones) they're the same shape as the Jazz III but they're a lot cheaper

I last em a year per set tbh, and I know people who have guitars from waaaay back with the original set of strings on em

And I use... (heres a list):

Tortex (yellow one, no idea bout the thickness)
Stubby's 2 & 3 mm
Jazz III's
tortex 500
208 usa

All dunlops btw
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by Slicer666
I last em a year per set tbh, and I know people who have guitars from waaaay back with the original set of strings on em

Stubby's 2 & 3 mm
Jazz III's
tortex 500
208 usa

All dunlops btw

yea, I know people that keep strings til they break too, and they're normally people who don't even really play that much or don't care about their tone.

but most people that DO care about their tone tend to change them pretty frequently (I've heard of a lot of more professional guitarists changing strings once a week)

and it's not like strings are expensive or anything.
Change your strings. Now.

(get some rotosounds)

It doesn't really matter what the metal guitarists use, I'm pretty sure not all of them use the same size picks anyways. Just use what's comfortable for you.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Quote by andrew12398
Change your strings. Now.

(get some rotosounds)

It doesn't really matter what the metal guitarists use, I'm pretty sure not all of them use the same size picks anyways. Just use what's comfortable for you.

I LOVE rotosound .09s (rotopinks)

Metal guitarists tend to use thicker picks, but it's really up to you.
I mostly use my fingers but when I use a pick the harder the better.

5 years with the same set of strings!!! and another guy with a year on the same strings.

6 - 8 weeks is about how often I'd change my strings. Id change 'em more frequently if I could afford it.

There's nothing I love more than playing in a new set of strings. If you haven't changed your strings in year you're missing out on so much sound it's really sad - I'm at a loss for words.
Si
Thanks, the thing is i play frequently. I hardly ever let the guitar down, when i do i am usually on the computer for tabs (or this), or playing gears of war. I don't have the money right now for new guitar strings, but I'll change them when i can.

As for the picks, i didn't know i was using an extra heavy pick. But it's comfortable, maybe i'll get some heavys. By the way, do they let you test them out in Guitar Center, or Best Buy?
Quote by Floodlock
Thanks, the thing is i play frequently. I hardly ever let the guitar down, when i do i am usually on the computer for tabs (or this), or playing gears of war. I don't have the money right now for new guitar strings, but I'll change them when i can.

As for the picks, i didn't know i was using an extra heavy pick. But it's comfortable, maybe i'll get some heavys. By the way, do they let you test them out in Guitar Center, or Best Buy?

Don't you have a music store near you? I mean a "real" music store, where they don't sell video games.
gravepickers. i think their shape is better for pinch harmonics in metal
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
i use Dunlop 1mms?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
+1 for the big stubbies.

Strings aren't that expensive and they will improve your tone by miles. If you are really playing as much as you say you'll wonder why you never changed them sooner. Everything you play will sound so much better. Go without lunch today and buy some strings instead. - I hope you don't smoke, if you do then there's no excuse for not having strings.
Si
Tortex 1.5mm sharps. Never used anything else since I found these....

And change your strings ya scrubber.

lol
[
I got hold of some Dunlop 1.0mm Stubbies some time ago... very comfy. I hate big plectrums.

PS I pretty much play metal exclusively.
UG FORUM
Your 21st Century Ant Farm
Corroborating Sturgeon's Law Since 2003
Last edited by Sewe Dae at Oct 12, 2009,
Change the strings in your guitar.

I personally like to use Jazz III. (I play Progressive/Metal/Shred/Classical/etc. Music)
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
+2 for the Big Stubbies.

1. Change the strings
2. What kind of metal are you playing? If your playing metallica/megadeth/anthrax and other metal/thrash bands in E Standard, then .88's should be fine. If you're playing metalcore/death metal/other extreme sub genres in heavy metal then you will need to have at least 10 or 11 gauge strings, a low tuning, and with the higher gauge strings come higher gauge picks that perform best over 1.25.
r u nutts ?change the F***** strings , yuk ,,, my one is only a month old, and m feeling weird to play it ,it has already lost its life after doing dive bombs :p
first keep up the habit to change the strings ,then talk about metal please !!!!i dont like lazy players ...
I'm not a lazy player, it's just that i don't like asking my parents for things. I am currently saving up for some better strings, but i need a pick. I only have one Extra Heavy pick, so don't assume that I am lazy...
BTW, my big E string just popped...(EADGBe tuning) I guess it was the stress it was on, so i drastically need to change my strings now.

Another note, COBHC912, i came in asking for pick advice and got it. I dont need another guy coming in and telling me im a lazy guitar player. I just need the money, but im always on the guitar. Whether it's just scales, or making songs, or jamming with friends. If you're not gonna help, then don't type anything in at all please...
I am playing alot of Pantera,Metallica, and Megadeth by the way. Im getting towards Anthrax later, hopefully.
Last edited by Floodlock at Oct 12, 2009,
I use jazz III's. A pack of them costs the same as a pack of strings, so I'd say that new strings would be a better thing to spend the $6 on.
Quote by Slicer666

Stubby's 2 & 3 mm
Jazz III's
tortex 500
208 usa

All dunlops btw

I change strings once a month or every 2 weeks depending how much I sweat at shows. But everyone is different I suppose. Besides I dont like giving strings the statisfactiong of breaking on me... I broke probably 4 strings the in the 7 years of playing.. I know probably sounds hard to believe but it is true.

OT: I use jazz IIIs after reading how tremonti used them and I agree standard picks feel like paddles after a week with them.
Quote by ehlert99
I broke probably 4 strings the in the 7 years of playing.. I know probably sounds hard to believe but it is true.

I never broken a string while playing, and I've been playing for three years. That's not hard to believe.
Quote by Floodlock
I'm not a lazy player, it's just that i don't like asking my parents for things. I am currently saving up for some better strings, but i need a pick. I only have one Extra Heavy pick, so don't assume that I am lazy...
BTW, my big E string just popped...(EADGBe tuning) I guess it was the stress it was on, so i drastically need to change my strings now.

Another note, COBHC912, i came in asking for pick advice and got it. I dont need another guy coming in and telling me im a lazy guitar player. I just need the money, but im always on the guitar. Whether it's just scales, or making songs, or jamming with friends. If you're not gonna help, then don't type anything in at all please...
I am playing alot of Pantera,Metallica, and Megadeth by the way. Im getting towards Anthrax later, hopefully.

You can get new strings and a pack of picks for less than $10.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Floodlock
I don't have the money right now for new guitar strings,
You don't have four dollars?!?!
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by JustinSyn
DUNLOP GATOR GRIP 2.0mm !!!!!!

... this thread is two months old, I'm sure he's already gotten his picks
My favorites are Dunlop 1mm, they're fairly thick. I'm a fan of playing metal and I like them very much.
I like Jazz III picks myself. Especially for lead playing. Sometimes I will use a big stubby though for rhythm playing. How the **** you can play metal well with a pick thinner then 1mm is beyond me.
Quote by UtBDan
this man hits the nail on the head.
I use the JD American Nylon .60s for EVERYTHING I play: metal, acoustic, classic rock. They're just great picks...plus, the American Nylons are super durable, I've never had one break on me (I'm not even sure that they CAN)