I am searching for a good electric guitar that feels like an acoustic, because i get much more inspired and creative when i play acoustic. I want a wide and fat neck. I do not like guitars with thin strings and superlow action that seems to play by itself.
I want a guitar that is durable and can handle rough usage. I play mostly classic rock and blues.
Maybe an Archtop?
Stuff:
ESP/LTD EC-200QM (with SD Distortions)
1986 Charvel Model 4
2013 Ibanez RG7421WH

Amps
Marshall MS-2 microamp (a POS)
B-52 LG-100a head (Not bad)

Pedals
Digitech Grunge distortion
a Gibson hollow or semi-hollow body
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
yeah the semi hollow bodies it looks like an acoustic like the one Wes Montgomery used
never played one so i dunno much about it..think that's your best option
My friend used to string his electric with acoustic strings. Is intonation would have to be readjusted like every day though
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
if you want a real hybrid acoustic/electric, theres an ovation model that can switch between both, and also, i highly recommend the taylor t-5 (i think thats the model), which i played last week, amazing guitar, if thats the style you want.

failing that, your probably looking at a semi hollow electric, in which case, check out ibanez artcore series, and also the epiphone copies of the gibson hollows (or get a gibby if you can fork out the cash for it).
Quote by MetalGuitarest
schecter c-1 classic

1. Schecters don't have thick necks

2. this model does not play like an acoustic, the closest one would have to be the new semi hollows with the piezo's.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
1. Schecters don't have thick necks
They have relatively thick necks. Next to ESP and Ibanez.

Try out Gibsons and Schecters, find a nice fat neck, then buy it and set it up with .012s. Les Paul Traditionals have a huge baseball-bat neck, it's great. Ibanezes have a wide neck but extremely thin, maybe you can find one with a fat and thick neck; try the Artcores.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Last edited by Pretty. Odd. at Oct 11, 2009,
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
Try out Gibsons and Schecters, find a nice fat neck, then buy it and set it up with .012s. Les Paul Traditionals have a huge baseball-bat neck, it's great.

i just said this. schecters do not have thick necks. maybe they are when you're used to playing Ibanez's and Jacksons all the time, but they're quite thin. thinner than Fender's and very equal to ESP's and LTD's.
Quote by pedromiles101
I was actually looking for a solid-body, but thanks anyway. I tried a Gibson 335 in a shop some months ago and that neck was really nice.
I played an Eastwood Airline Tuxedo today at GC, and it felt a lot like an acoustic to me.
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Epiphone Prophecy EM-2
'06 Epiphone Les Paul-100
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
Quote by mattiasb
I was actually looking for a solid-body, but thanks anyway. I tried a Gibson 335 in a shop some months ago and that neck was really nice.

Depends on the company. If we had to look at Gibson reissues, in the 50s they had a thicker neck, starting in the 60s is when they became thinner (As with Fender).

If you liked the neck of the 335, get the 335.
I've read that the Breedlove Mark Series electrics feel similar to acoustics because of details like the fingerboard edges, and I think that that would work in your favor here. They're quite pricey, though. If all you want is a huge neck, then I think a PRS Wide/Fat would do the job nicely. Problem with PRS in this case is that the fingerboard edges are well rolled; it doesn't feel acoustic, it feels like an electric with a big neck.
Quote by irishstang_87
Check out the Gretsch 5120 as an alternative

Personally I didn't like the 5120. But right kind of guitar. Go hollowbody and see whether the necks 'feel' like an acoustic. NB this could be the downfall of the Gretsch for you.

Other than hollowbody styles unfortunately I cannot think of an electric guitar that feels like an acoustic (not having a painted neck/neck width/edges etc).
I would deffinately reccomend the Epiphones of the Ibanez Art series. I was playing one of the Ibanez ones in a music store the other day, and it played like a $600+ guitar. I looked at the price thag and it was $350. I waw very pleased. Or what it sounds like to me is that you like to write your songs on an acoustic, so you could always just use a real acoustic guitar to write, then when you have your songs written play them on a regular electric.
Maybe i should explain further what i mean with a electric that feels like an acoustic...
Except for the neck, i want a guitar that have the same kind of direct response to my playing that acoustics have. I also want pickups that amplifies the strings as it sounds acoustically and not changes the basic sound of the guitar and that is as sensitive to my pick-attack as an acoustic guitar. The guitar i want don't need to be a sustain monster. Even though i prefer playing acoustic guitar, i'm still quite of a rocker.
Played loud and overdriven, a semi-acoustic may feed back more? That's why i'm a bit skeptical to them.
I like guitars that is a bit hard to play, the electric guitar i've got now is an old Vantage that is so easy to play it just aint fun.
Quote by jsaatsaz
I played an Eastwood Airline Tuxedo today at GC, and it felt a lot like an acoustic to me.

I can't speak for the tuxedo but my airline doesn't feel much like an acoustic. The action is way to low to feel like an acoustic.
Quote by Genov1
I can't speak for the tuxedo but my airline doesn't feel much like an acoustic. The action is way to low to feel like an acoustic.

I'm sure he already figured out what guitar to get.

OLD THREAD.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Check out Warrior Guitars, they have an electric with an added L.B. Baggs acoustic bridge, fat neck, play like a dream, in the acoustic mode only, or blend it with the humbucker pickup.