Hey folks,
I'm starting to save up for a new amp of a more proffesional standard and what I'm really gassing for is a Splawn Quick Rod. The problem is that they're very expensive here in the UK (as American amps always seem to be; see Mesa Boogie...) and I don't think I'll be able to stretch quite that far.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to amps with the modded Marshall vibe and high quality standards that are fairly priced here in the UK?

The Splawn Quick Rod will run me about £1750. An ideal price would be around £1250. Absolute maximum is £1500, or around that area. Wattage is, nothing under the volume of a typical 15 watter, but preferably no more that 50 watts, although if it's ideal in every other way, I'll tolerate the higher wattage.

This isn't including the any cabinets, either; should the amp be a head I'll simply use my VK as a cab until I can afford a better one. Head or Combo doesn't really matter much either.

Ones I've looked at are the Splawns and the Mesa Stilletos, which seem to fit the bill fantastically but are a bit too expensive over here, the Hayden Classic Lead 80, which I haven't had the opportunity to try and which might be too loud, and the Marshall JVM, which is passable but not the optimum in terms of quality.

Fire away, and thanks if you do!
You could get a marshall and then have it modded.

That's pretty much what a Splawn is
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Mesa Oversized recto 4x12
Jackson DKMG (w/ BareKnuckle Warpigs )
Ibanez Acoustic

Feel free to add me or PM me.
my head is perfect for you I think, JCM 900 SL-X, most hod rodder marshall ever
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Buy a marshall and hod rod it?
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by {Ѵëņŏmőůş}
You could get a marshall and then have it modded.

That's pretty much what a Splawn is

Yeah, I mentioned the modded Marshall vibe in my own post.
Which begs the question, how could I possibly not have thought of that? :]
I'll look into having a JCM800 modded, too. Not sure there are that many decent amp modding types around my area, though.
Cheers for the reminder!
Mod your VK. The distortion is pretty Marshally and will sound even moreso after an OT swap.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Coda music have a used stiletto for £1000. Might just hit the spot as you get a guarantee on that so if anything bad happens you are covered. They were great with my tremoverb problems a few months ago.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
I'd rather not mod the Valveking; at the end of the day the cab's not made of great stuff and it's a bit too loud for me, and considering the extent I think I'd end up modding it to I do think I'd be better off simply buying another amp.

Laneys I hadn't considered. Any specific model recommendations?

And yeah, that used Stiletto looks like a good deal; if it's still there by the time I've amassed the cash I'll definitely check it out!
The GH,LH,VH, and TT are the tube models worth looking. I really like the gh's and lh's. good cleans. lots of balls with the drive on. VH has ballz to spare, cleans are ok, imo not as good as GH. TT i have limited experience with. best way to compare laneys in general are a hotrodded british sounding amp

The used stilleto might be better. I liked the Stilletos better than any laney i tried but laney might be cheaper. hotrodded marshall kinda
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
If the VK's loud for you, I'd think a Splawn would kill you.

The mods I'm talking about would be nothing more than an OT change, and if you haven't already, a speaker swap.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
The VK I have's the 100 watter, not the 50, in case you didn't know. Wattage aside it's probably the loudest amp I've ever played through; louder than the Dual Rec and JSX, from my experience. If you think a Splawn will be louder though, I'll bear that in mind.

I have considered an OT change in the past, but on looking around there's not really anywhere within a sensible distance that would be able to do it, what with the rebiasing and things, and I'm sure you'll understand it if I'm reluctant to brave the capacitor voltages and do it myself. If I can find somebody who'll do it, I'll definitely consider modding the VK. El-34s or 6550s, do you think? And yeah, the speakers are already swapped.

And thanks, I'll deffo check out those Laneys.
You wouldn't need to rebias the VK unless you've already done the bias mod. From what I know, EL34s and VKs don't mix well. 6L6es or 6550s are best for them.

Check this video out to get an idea of what the VK with an OT swap is capable of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaQm8_16n8U&feature=related
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
You wouldn't need to rebias the VK unless you've already done the bias mod. From what I know, EL34s and VKs don't mix well. 6L6es or 6550s are best for them.

Check this video out to get an idea of what the VK with an OT swap is capable of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaQm8_16n8U&feature=related

I was under the impression that since it runs on a fixed bias, it would need rebiasing in order to sound decent with different output tubes.
And yeah, that vid sounds pretty good. It's too compressed to hear all the nuances and dynamics, but I can tell that it sounds pretty different.
Cheers for the advice.
Last edited by Rock Pig at Oct 11, 2009,
martamp/mjw? i haven't tried them, but they're very well regarded. Would be worth a look, anyway, the orion model is around your budget, i think. he does powerscaling, too, though that'll up the price quite a bit.

http://www.martamp.co.uk/

I haven't tried the QR, either. Really want to.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, if you were to switch to a different type, then yes, it would need to be rebiased (which would call for a bias mod) but it doesn't need to be rebiased if you switch 6L6es. The mods for the VK would be alot less expensive than buying a whole other amp, but ultimately it's your choice.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
The Martamp looks really nice. Derbyshire isn't even too far away from where I live so I might even be able to drop by and try it out.

As for the VK, if I were to change the output tubes it would definitely have to be to a different type; I'm after the modded Marshall vibe, as said before. It would have to be EL-34s or 6550s, I think.

I'm also looking at secondhand Marshalls; the JCM900 SL-X looks pretty good, like Adrian said earlier, and I'm particularly interested in the 25th and 30th anniversary models. Anybody have any experience with any of those?

Thanks for the suggestions guys, real good stuff
ah, if you could try it, that'd be the best thing (as i said, I haven't tried them). I'm not even sure how hot-rod-marshally it is, lol. But i assume it's vaguely based on a marshall, based on what i've heard.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah, if you could try it, that'd be the best thing (as i said, I haven't tried them). I'm not even sure how hot-rod-marshally it is, lol. But i assume it's vaguely based on a marshall, based on what i've heard.

I tend to assume that any amp with high gain and Brit tubes is going to sound at least vaguely like a souped up Marshall, myself. As long as it's got that midrange harmonic richness I tend to hear in Brit valves, it's all good
Tempted to try out a Cornford Hellcat too. Definitely have to try that one first though.
Hell, I'm even tempted to go with an Axe-FX Ultra/Atomic Reactor combo. God knows it's probably the most intelligent thing to do, but whether I want to go that route or not is another issue entirely...
hehe.

yeah, cornfords are nice. might be a little too smooth and warm for "hot-rod marshall", but they're in the ballpark. mk50 would be worth a try, too (though i haven't tried that one).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
hehe.

yeah, cornfords are nice. might be a little too smooth and warm for "hot-rod marshall", but they're in the ballpark. mk50 would be worth a try, too (though i haven't tried that one).

That's exactly why I think I'll have to try the Cornford first. They market the Hellcat as a metal machine, so hopefully it'll be able to get a little gnarlier around the edges when required.
good luck
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My suggestion is an old 800 with some mods.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Dave_Mc
hehe.

They may be a little pricey as well. Although you could probably pick one up second-hand if you are patient. While a Splawn never seem to pop up on the used market in the UK--for obvious reasons.
Cornford looks like it might turn out a little pricey, although I've certainly seen them go for about the right price in the past.

Just to ask one more time, does anybody have any experience with the Marshalls? The ones I'm considering buying stock are the Jub, the 6100/6101, or perhaps the JCM900 SL-X.
MatrixClaw has a 6100 for sale I believe, but I doubt he would ship to Euro unless you paid for the shipping. I'd buy it if I didn't already own a Splawn. As mentioned previously, I'd just get a modded 800 or get an 80's 800 and find someone to mod it to what you want.
Quote by mmolteratx
My suggestion is an old 800 with some mods.

+ infinity.

ALL the Splawns are based of 800s for the most part.. so I suggest you get a 800 and get it modded.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by AngryGoldfish
They may be a little pricey as well. Although you could probably pick one up second-hand if you are patient. While a Splawn never seem to pop up on the used market in the UK--for obvious reasons.

problem with the HW cornfords at the moment is that there's a backlog...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
orange rockerverb's so badass

but look at blackstar they do the artisan stuff which is really nice, based on a plexi and super build quality, the S1 serise they have a knob for the voicing so u can make it sound like an american gain monster or a hot rodded marshall i should know i just orderd one haha and spent nearly 2 hours playing it b4 i did