Hey
iv been offered a dual rec with a flight case
its had a gain mod done to it and a serial fx loop
which all sounds good and fun!!
BUT
they are the original tubes in the amp, and its been used by quite a famous band so had done a few tours over the past 4 years

he is asking £1100
Yay or Nay?

And do you think it will be needing a new set of tubes anytime soon as i dont fancy having to pay out for them

HELP!!! i need ur advice!
facebook.com/crazymentalchris
youtube.com/chrisprsguitars

come say Hi!
make all band member sign it,and then buy it
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
make all band member sign it,and then buy it

lol that may help with value but i actually wanna use this amp as my main one so im more interested in if its gonna serve me as well as it has them

come say Hi!
Have 'em sign it anyway if the band is famous. If you wanna sell it down the line, it certainly couldn't hurt.

And yeah, you'll probably have to end up changing the tubes.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
any ideas how much a retube would cost me?
in ££££

come say Hi!
200 is the max
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
So
Good deal?
Bad Deal?

come say Hi!
also can anyone explain the advantages of a serial loop too me?

come say Hi!
effect loop?
Quote by angusfan16
wich band is it?
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by ethan_hanus
Just buy it, thats like the best price I've seen on a Dul rec in a long time. A retube is simple and dosent cost very much.

yeah,they dont have much used mesa around austin
Quote by angusfan16
Is it a 2 channel or 3 channel? either way it's a good price, with the flight case and all. that's Just tell them youll take it but ask if they would mind signing it.. im sure it wont be a big deal..

which band is it anyway?

but as for that peavey ultra plus.. they normally go for like $400.. But I don't know how much they go for in the UK, so..
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

Last edited by injected at Oct 12, 2009,
Quote by injected
Is it a 2 channel or 3 channel? either way it's a good price, with the flight case and all. that's Just tell them youll take it but ask if they would mind signing it.. im sure it wont be a big deal..

which band is it anyway?

but as for that peavey ultra plus.. they normally go for like $400.. But I don't know how much they go for in the UK, so..

3 channel

its a british band so you probably wouldnt have heard of them

and as for the ultra i did end up selling it for £350
they are pretty rare in england (mine was a US model) so they tend to reach a bit more over here..great amp though

come say Hi!
Still looking for more advice/info people!!!!

come say Hi!
Thats a good deal for a mesa in the UK. Mesa rectifiers usually come with with parallel effects loops. This allows you to mix an amount of your signal that goes through your effects processor with some dry signal that goes straight to the power amp. This is really nice when using old effects that can alter your tone in a bad way because you don't have to send all of your signal through. A serial effects loop send 100% of your dry signal through your effects processor. With mesa amps the parallel loop causes phasing issues with delay pedals. because of this phasing issue most people mod the loop to a serial.
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
yeah,they dont have much used mesa around austin

http://austin.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=Mesa&catAbbreviation=msg&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

yeah, it's a bit thin at the moment, but I often see lots of Mesa in the Austin area. try Houston too, notorious for Mesa, whereas Austin is all about Fender (I generalize, of course).

EDIT: oh yeah, almost forgot, TS:

http://thetubestore.com/

some really great reviews on there if you're not sure what tubes you want to go with (and yes, you'll probably need to retube soon).

a series loop is an essential thing to have if you use an EQ, noise gate, compressor or sonic maximier in your loop. if you're using a lot of time-based fx in your loop (delay, reverb, etc.) just adjust the mix on the pedal(s).

and get the damn band to sign the amp. it'll help retain its resale value, and it's cool. period.
Last edited by GrisKy at Oct 13, 2009,
Cool! thanks for this information guys and the tube website!!

and yeah ill definately get them to sign it.

come say Hi!
Quote by GrisKy
http://austin.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=Mesa&catAbbreviation=msg&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

yeah, it's a bit thin at the moment, but I often see lots of Mesa in the Austin area. try Houston too, notorious for Mesa, whereas Austin is all about Fender (I generalize, of course).
EDIT: oh yeah, almost forgot, TS:

http://thetubestore.com/

some really great reviews on there if you're not sure what tubes you want to go with (and yes, you'll probably need to retube soon).

a series loop is an essential thing to have if you use an EQ, noise gate, compressor or sonic maximier in your loop. if you're using a lot of time-based fx in your loop (delay, reverb, etc.) just adjust the mix on the pedal(s).

and get the damn band to sign the amp. it'll help retain its resale value, and it's cool. period.

Your pertty much right, there is some weird music comeing out of Austin nowadays. Its either experimental pyhsidelic or Death metal. Neither of which are all that great.

I really dont see what kind of decision your trying to make here, its basicly a win win situation, if you buy the amp and get the band to sign it, you can sell it for even more money than you bought it for, or if you keep it, you have a badass amp thats singed by a professional band.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Your pertty much right, there is some weird music comeing out of Austin nowadays. Its either experimental pyhsidelic or Death metal. Neither of which are all that great.

I really dont see what kind of decision your trying to make here, its basicly a win win situation, if you buy the amp and get the band to sign it, you can sell it for even more money than you bought it for, or if you keep it, you have a badass amp thats singed by a professional band.

well my only concern was that id have the tube blow in like a month and then would have to pay out like £200 for them to be done when i could just buy one for the same price which hadnt been used by a professional band on the road and stuff for 4 years

come say Hi!
Quote by ChrisRuffell
well my only concern was that id have the tube blow in like a month and then would have to pay out like £200 for them to be done when i could just buy one for the same price which hadnt been used by a professional band on the road and stuff for 4 years

i would consider this another advantage rather than a cause for concern. if they're a professional band, it would make sense that they'd have a professional guitar tech working for them. while the road presents many dangers to equipment, touring pros' livelihoods depend on their gear to work. i'd argue that the amp you're looking at buying has been better cared for for over 4 years than a "new" head that's been a floor model at GC for just a month!

besides, amps vary. your dual rec and guy down the block's dual rec very well might not sound the same. this one has been good enough for a touring band for quite some time. btw, what band is it?
Ooo never thought of it like that Thanks

come say Hi!
GOT HER!!!!!
IN-F***ING-SANE!
this amp could kill a population lol
ill probaly put some vids up of it on youtube soon

come say Hi!
Which band did it belong to?
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by no.mop
Which band did it belong to?

they actually asked me not too mention their name to people coz of something to do with their mesa endorcement means they aint ment too sell the amps?> if that makes sense.. it didnt really too me
but i dont fancy pissing them off

They are just a British rock band (probably seen them in Kerrang a fair few times)
but so i dont get into any shizzle im gonna not say their name

(yeah that seems gay to me too but its what they said so... what can i do)

come say Hi!
glad you like it man!

...i also have a theory bewing that the "band" is actually a secret CIA operations cell, but perhaps i have said too much!
Quote by GrisKy
glad you like it man!

...i also have a theory bewing that the "band" is actually a secret CIA operations cell, but perhaps i have said too much!

Bugger how did you know?!!
its actually the prime ministers Mesa... he just loves to shred

come say Hi!
only thing with the Mesa is a slight Rattley noise under one of the big recto tubes.. this normal???
Appart from that she is in amazing shape, now to find a way to remove the bands name from the flightcase lol

come say Hi!