So I recently got an electric guitar and I'm not playing for so long yet like 2 months or something, and I had some questions about how to tune using the electric tuner, I mean I know how to use it for the standard e tuning but I don't know how to use the stuff on the tuner or how to set it when I want to get it in drop D tuning for example.

EADGBE This is what it looks like now

DADGBE This is how I want to get it on the tuner but my tuner won't find the "D"

This might be a stupid question but I just started out so yeah
Quote by LaidBackDude
So I recently got an electric guitar and I'm not playing for so long yet like 2 months or something, and I had some questions about how to tune using the electric tuner, I mean I know how to use it for the standard e tuning but I don't know how to use the stuff on the tuner or how to set it when I want to get it in drop D tuning for example.

EADGBE This is what it looks like now

DADGBE This is how I want to get it on the tuner but my tuner won't find the "D"

This might be a stupid question but I just started out so yeah

just lower the e string till the tuner says d?
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
if you've got a basic tuner try holding down the second fret and retuning that string, works for me
Or hold the second fret down and do that until the tuner says E, this is good if you want to tune your guitar to a tuning that uses a note your tuner doesn't have (assuming it only has EADGBE).
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
Quote by Balmazer
Or hold the second fret down and do that until the tuner says E, this is good if you want to tune your guitar to a tuning that uses a note your tuner doesn't have (assuming it only has EADGBE).

This helped me out, How does this work for other tunings

you guys are really helpfull thank's so far ;P
easy tip for Drop D. if you're in E standard, hold the 7th fret on that low E and play the open A string. retune the low E until that 7th fret Low string sounds like that Open A.

to retune back to E Standard, play the 5th fret of your low string and retune that string until it sounds like your open A.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by LaidBackDude
This helped me out, How does this work for other tunings

you guys are really helpfull thank's so far ;P

Lets say you want to do drop C. You would have to tune every thing down one whole step (each fret is a half step so 2 frets= one whole note, with a few exceptions like b to c) so when you tune down a whole step you put play two frets up from open so that the note would be the same as standard. Now, for the dropped C you would have to have hold down the fourth fret which would equal E since C is two whole steps below E.

I hope I made sense.
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
Yeah my tuner doesn't work for my 7th string either.

Quote by randomhero93
easy tip for Drop D. if you're in E standard, hold the 7th fret on that low E and play the open A string. retune the low E until that 7th fret Low string sounds like that Open A.

to retune back to E Standard, play the 5th fret of your low string and retune that string until it sounds like your open A.

^this. That's how I first learned how to tune a guitar. Get one string in tune and you can tune the others by playing the note you want and getting it to match.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Balmazer
Lets say you want to do drop C. You would have to tune every thing down one whole step (each fret is a half step so 2 frets= one whole note, with a few exceptions like b to c) so when you tune down a whole step you put play two frets up from open so that the note would be the same as standard. Now, for the dropped C you would have to have hold down the fourth fret which would equal E since C is two whole steps below E.

I hope I made sense.

It made sense I think I get it now tyvm all