There's an MIA Fender HM 5string at guitar center for $530...not in the greatest asthetic condition but not bad at all really. All the electronics work thought there's a bit of hiss when i turn the tone knob all the way up...not a big issue. It wasn't set up very well at all. The neck was bowed toward the strings pretty bad so I lowered the tuning a bunch and it went back a bit.(didn't have time to wait for it to really settle ya know) and it played pretty nice, considering the action was crap. Which is easily fixable. Sounded amazing and I actually loved the feel of it. I'm not a fan of fender basses and i've only ever found one that i liked enough to buy for a backup bass.

The problem is that I really don't have money to be spending on a new bass. The options for me are:1. just let it go because i shouldn't be spending money. 2.sell my MIM Fender P-bass special to raise some money for it...I just don't know if I can do it. I own every bass I've ever had and hate to part with anything, but the MIA is just so much better. So I guess this is a what would you do thread.

here is a pic of the same model bass only in 4 string version. other two pics stopped working...

And that's a 5way pup selector switch

From my playing around with it the switch seems to choose these options.
1. bridge pickup solo
2. both bridge-area pickups
3. all three pickups( i was a bit surprised at this but the sound was really BIG)
4. neck pickup and middle pickup
5. neck pickup solo
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Oct 11, 2009,
I would keep, its unique and is most likely alot better then your MIM, so sell your MIM and have everything done to this that is needed. Im sure you can sell another bass aswell, just to cover a bit of it and make yourself feel better.
Then youll have a couple of great fivers to keep you going, say 5 hours until you see something else you want.

Good find though, i wouldnt playing a bass like this.

EDIT i myself would add another knob and have a 2 band MEC EQ or a ACG filter preamp.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
haha. ya i buy too many basses. I have 6 basses now. If i sold the MIM P-special how much do you think i'd get? it's in just about mint condition.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Im thinking they must be 600-700 bucks new(of my head) so 400-550 most, im thinking this is if im right about the new price. Did you buy it second hand or new, if second hand sell for what you bought it for.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
second hand but can't remember what i got it for...thinking 450 or so. making the true cost of the HM $80....hmmm this is so tempting.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
See, then send me $80 though paypal for my time, everyone wins.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Also, does anyone know what the HM stands for?
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by Revelation
Also, does anyone know what the HM stands for?

this place and a review said that the HM stands for Heavy Metal.

I'd say go for it. Don't be too sentimental with your basses If someone was willing to buy my first bass for a fifty, I'd do it in a heart beat.
Ah. I can see how the tone from this could lend itself toward Heavy Metal so I guess it was just to specify what it was made for? Seems odd but plausible.

EDIT: just did some looking around on the fender forums. HM = Heartfield Model, which is a company that they had recently aquired. These basses were only made for a few years from the late 80's to the very early 90's. MIJ versions are pretty rare while MIA ones are even more so.

Anyone else got opinions on what to do?
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Last edited by Revelation at Oct 11, 2009,
Do it, it's a better find than the MIM P-Bass (in my opinion anyway)
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Quote by Revelation
EDIT: just did some looking around on the fender forums. HM = Heartfield Model, which is a company that they had recently aquired. These basses were only made for a few years from the late 80's to the very early 90's. MIJ versions are pretty rare while MIA ones are even more so.

Anyone else got opinions on what to do?

how the hell did they get heavy metal then? Good luck, I hope you're happy with whatever you choose. Better choose soon though, before someone else snaps it up ^^
I know. that's the hard part. no time to make a decision and i'd have to sell the mim first too. MIA for $530 though...
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
would the store consider a trade in? It might not be as much as selling it yourself, but depending on how much it is, it might be a good trade off to have it sold right away
I might ask what kind of deal I'd get on a trade in. maybe haggle it a bit. maybe ask for an even trade since the one i'd be getting is pretty beat up looking. either that or have them throw in a case if it doesn't have one in the back. good idea. I'd prolly be able to get a bit more from the store if i did it in a trade deal than if i just tried to take it in to them and selling it to someone would prolly take too long.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by Canadian_basser
how the hell did they get heavy metal then? Good luck, I hope you're happy with whatever you choose. Better choose soon though, before someone else snaps it up ^^

They possibly got that due to Fender releasing a range of electric guitars with the HM model as well. However from memory of the guitar range it is infact the Heavy Metal range, released around the late 80's early 90's

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
The was a company called heart a long while back from what i know who made a fairly good guitars and bass's, and then got in some endorsement deal with a band called heart, and then the band pulled attempted to sue and maybe that is what they are called now, and maybe fender did buy them, and maybe this is something they did together i still say get it though.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
get it, seems more your style.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
OK. thanks guys. I'm gonna hit guitar center and get a quote for what i'd get for a trade in since selling to the public would almost definitely be too slow. should hit it on saturday...wish me luck!
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian