so im doing a composition at school and I like to use weird chords and trying to fit them in with the music, to an extent, im not going to use a random chord just for the sake of doing so. Basically I like music theory and am bored of everyone else in my class thinking they're the best composers in the world because they've figured out what a I-V-IV sequence, or saying they've written a really cool love song piece by using IV-V-VI (both examples are in a major key).

So far Ive used the chords Ddim7 (sounds really cool) and loads of suspended chords like Csus4 and Fsus2. But does anyone know any other types of chord (other than a major, minor, suspended(4 and 2), diminished 7th)? Because I'm really interested in this kind of stuff.
The opening chord of Supersonic by Oasis, its a fancy chord unfortunately i don't remember what its called, it has an 11th in it

Its C# F# A B E... kind of like an F# minor with the two high strings, b and e, left open
Check out the tabs for some Billy Talent.
Should do the trick for ya.
The Other, Other, Other North Devon Rock Band
I'll see what i can work out here, but just to say, you're right about that Ddim7 is a really nice chord!
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
try major 7b5 chords (7#11) and minor 11 chords

Emi7..CMA7b5..Bmi11

its a bit jazzy with a fusion feel in this progression..

the b5 flavor is very nice and gets the ears attention...when uses as a melody note in a progression it turns out dynamic harmony..

play well

wolf
Just a friendly warning. Don't get too pretentious. Surprising and interesting chords can be clever and add depth to a song, but the ability to write a REALLY good song using the simple chords and age old progressions is a much surer sign of talent.

By all means though experiment and have fun - good luck to you.
Si
EbMin7 Ddim7 Dbmin7 C7

I VI II V subs!!! Plus chromatic progressions are nice.

Or, if you ever wanna piss anybody off with a composition do the entire thing as subdominants.
thanks for all your help, found this useful, and i think the chord at the start of supersonic is C#m7, though im not sure
Quote by voodoochild23

Its C# F# A B E... kind of like an F# minor with the two high strings, b and e, left open

That's a F#m11/C#. Or a C#m11+.

And I agree with 20T.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Last edited by 7even at Oct 12, 2009,
Check out zeguitarist's theory lessons as they are top notch. As for chords you have a few others, ninths, elvenths, thirteenths, augmented, diads, and triads. You can arpeggiated shapes as well so really there is a vast amount of chords for you play with. Oh, forgot about slash chords as well (f#/d,g/c, etc.)

Good luck,
Lank
My Gear:
Guitars: Vintage LP, Martin DX-1, Epi Viola Bass,
Amps: Marshall JMD501
Effects: Empty Set right now
thanks for the advice 7even and 20tigers, I dont always use these chords, I should more of put at the top 'for common interest' because i will only use it if it fits with the music. but thanks for the advice anyway, appreciate it.
Not that finding nice sounding chords is a good idea, but an idea to make it a little easier..

instead of finding "nice chords" try different voicings.
get your easy chord progression, whether it be a 12BB or a I, IV, V or a II, V, I. and explore some substitutions. It's a great and effective way to make a creative and different sounding progression, that will still work over the melody given.

Here are some examples of what kind of substitutions you could look up:
Common Tone Substitution
Tritone Substitution
Diminished Chord Substitution

These are the easiest to pick up quickly.