So, I went to guitar center the other day and they had gotten in a fresh shipment of some more uniquely styled basses. Included were a black Explorer and a black Flying V, both with white pickguards and gold hardware.

I honestly thought they were gorgeous. Looks wise, Second only a certain style of stingray that I love and the Jaguar. They fealt alright in my hands. A little light, actually. The neck did feel a little thick, but I'm used to playing Jazz Basses.

Now, I didn't have much time, so I didn't bother with bothering any of the workers to get me a cable. I just picked them up and messed with them a little. I was wondering if any of you guys had plugged one in and had an oppinion on the sound. Anything is appreciated.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
I Actually own the korina version of the epi explorer, but Ive played both. Mine has a korina body, and because epi's are cheaper, a mahogany neck. The mahogany model is a little on the bassey end, but not too much like the korina model. The pickups are a little on the weak end. I think their the same ones they use on the les paul customs. But when I say weak, I mean that they arent really high output, but they arent thin or unbalanced like you see of other cheap asian pups. The stock pups wont do a great metallica impersonation, but anything like grunge, stoner metal, classic rock, modern rock, and even some blues would sound great on one. I will say this though, I think most epi's with stock parts sound pretty dull in solid state amps.
I changed the pickups and tuners in mine, and now I think it might be my favorite guitar.
Quote by Spaz91
Dunno about the sound but they're rare as ****.

Not anymore, they're in Guitar Center's monthly pamphlet thing they send in the mail. My little brother shot me a text a few days ago saying they had them at our local GC.

However, them being Epiphones gives me a moments pause, them being so cheap gives me even more reservations. It's generally a good bet to stay away from Epi basses, even if they look epic
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
Not anymore, they're in Guitar Center's monthly pamphlet thing they send in the mail. My little brother shot me a text a few days ago saying they had them at our local GC.

Goddamn americans with there decent music shops selling a decent variety of basses
Quote by Spaz91
Goddamn americans with there decent music shops selling a decent variety of basses

Haha i wouldn't say decent, the only thing we enjoy over here are the cheaper prices. My GC sells almost nothing but Fender, Epiphone, Ibanez, Warwick, and Schecter. I have to search out the little shops or trek to Seattle to get my fix of Peavey, ESP, Spector, Ric, ect. or my favorite G&L ASAT lol.

On the subject of the V and Explorer basses, I just checked the specs out, and they frankly don't look that impressive
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
Haha i wouldn't say decent, the only thing we enjoy over here are the cheaper prices. My GC sells almost nothing but Fender, Epiphone, Ibanez, Warwick, and Schecter. I have to search out the little shops or trek to Seattle to get my fix of Peavey, ESP, Spector, Ric, ect. or my favorite G&L ASAT lol.

On the subject of the V and Explorer basses, I just checked the specs out, and they frankly don't look that impressive

I'm lucky in that I love Fender as, other than ****ty brands like Wescoast, its pretty much all I can find in my area.
I thought about buying the V myself but I read that it has horrible neck dive. The only other V-shaped bass in that range I found was the Dean Metalman V, and a Dean at that price is a Dean to be avoided.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Quote by Spaz91

Glasgow's like a Scottish mecca for buying musical instruments especially Guitarguitar /drools you can go in there for a while and still come out with nothing went in a few times solely intent on trying basses needless to say my ex wasnt amused i spent an hour trying out a load of basses.

She only tried an LP Junior.

Guitarguitar's got 3 branches and from the sounds of some guitar centres they are prolly on par with them xD they have like 1k guitars in the shop and a lot of amps but its a mix of bass's,acoustics and electrics :P

Tried the V its an ok guitar think its the same pickups as my t-bird tho which are ok but not great.Never stood up with it so i dunno what its neck dive is like.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
I couldn't stand Guitarguitar's selection in Glasgow. No Overwaters, and the only ones I bothered trying where some Laklands and a Sadowksy. Wasn't impressed. One of the staff was liking I was playing some double hand tapped Final Fantasy X themes though.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I couldn't stand Guitarguitar's selection in Glasgow. No Overwaters, and the only ones I bothered trying where some Laklands and a Sadowksy. Wasn't impressed. One of the staff was liking I was playing some double hand tapped Final Fantasy X themes though.

Awesome xD i was just riffing off NFG makes me feel a bit unskilled cause you were tapping FFX songs xD (Otherworld? Lol), its good if your not looking for some make specifically or just go in for a general browse but its really geared for Electric guitars the bass not so much :I the Edinburgh shop's smaller but its mainly Fender and Gibson with a lot of Ibanez on the side,but they did have the Dan Armstrong Plexi-glass bass last time i was in there never paid attention to see if there was any Lakland's.

Merchant city music's up there aswell not been in there for ages but their stock wasnt to great last time i was in.They had a Hagstrom and a couple of Schecters that i seen but i just went in and bought a few picks on the way back to Queen St Station.That was like August tho.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Damn, at least you have Laklands, I've only ever seen/played one over here, and never a Sadowsky. Old, ancient Fenders and Rics are about as exotic as it gets here
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
Old, ancient Fenders and Rics are about as exotic as it gets here

Old and ancient as in vintage or as in worn out junk? Becauce old fenders and ricks are pretty much my ideal.
Quote by Spaz91
Old and ancient as in vintage or as in worn out junk? Becauce old fenders and ricks are pretty much my ideal.

You can find both out here, I too love nothing more then a vintage Fender or Ric (or a new G&L ). The old 4001's usually have really worn out pups and fretboards though. The vintage Fenders are usually Jazzes, in pretty decent condition, but they're priced in the $8000+ range (were talking about early, pre-CBS era)

EDIT: ^ those Fenders are almost always locked away in display cases, though I have been lucky enough to play a few
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Oct 12, 2009,
Quote by Tostitos
You can find both out here, I too love nothing more then a vintage Fender or Ric (or a new G&L ). The old 4001's usually have really worn out pups and fretboards though. The vintage Fenders are usually Jazzes, in pretty decent condition, but they're priced in the $8000+ range (were talking about early, pre-CBS era)

EDIT: ^ those Fenders are almost always locked away in display cases, though I have been lucky enough to play a few

You jammy sod I'm in the unenviable position of loving vintage looks (I hate pointy guitar bodies beside the explorer) but I love a modern sound (everything I play turns into shoegaze). Most of the basses I find are the opposite, e.g. pointy rip-off basses with passive pups, Westcoast and Stagg will burn for this, mark my words
Quote by Spaz91
You jammy sod I'm in the unenviable position of loving vintage looks (I hate pointy guitar bodies beside the explorer) but I love a modern sound (everything I play turns into shoegaze). Most of the basses I find are the opposite, e.g. pointy rip-off basses with passive pups, Westcoast and Stagg will burn for this, mark my words

I think I'm lucky enough to only have seen one Stagg in my life, and the shop that carried it quickly went out of business. I love Vintage guitars and have an unhealthy love for well-made Japanese copies of the infamous copy era (there are almost none around here). Sadly, I have recently moved from my guitar shop-rich area just north of Seattle, to college out in eastern Washington, where my college town has only one music store that stocks only cheap Peaveys, a broad collection of Squiers, one or two actual Fenders, and a 5 string Ibanez

EDIT: I feel bad that we've dragged this thread so ridiculously off topic . . .
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Oct 12, 2009,
Quote by Tostitos
I think I'm lucky enough to only have seen one Stagg in my life, and the shop that carried it quickly went out of business. I love Vintage guitars and have an unhealthy love for well-made Japanese copies of the infamous copy era (there are almost none around here). Sadly, I have recently moved from my guitar shop-rich area just north of Seattle, to college out in eastern Washington, where my college town has only one music store that stocks only cheap Peaveys, a broad collection of Squiers, one or two actual Fenders, and a 5 string Ibanez

EDIT: I feel bad that we've dragged this thread so ridiculously off topic . . .

If I was in Seattle, a place with a musical history as good as Birmingham in England, and I knew it had decent music shops I would never EVER leave. Not to mention my love of Frasier

To keep it on topic: yeah, whatever, go play it blahdy blahdy blah, epiphones suck unless you love then, etc, etc, etc... The usual
Quote by Spaz91
If I was in Seattle, a place with a musical history as good as Birmingham in England, and I knew it had decent music shops I would never EVER leave. Not to mention my love of Frasier

To keep it on topic: yeah, whatever, go play it blahdy blahdy blah, epiphones suck unless you love then, etc, etc, etc... The usual

Haha well it wasn't really a choice for me, I didn't want to head out of state, got turned down by all the prestigious private schools, and Washington State was the best state school I could get into . Ill move back to that wonderful city once I get that music/art double degree Im after, and after I spend all my scholarship money on new gear.

And Frasier was a good show, sad to see it gone

And a question actually on the threads topic: Are these Epi V and Explorers like a re-issue thing? What I mean is has Gibson/Epiphone put out a production run of Explorer and Flying V basses in the past?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass