So I have a lot of feedback coming from my amp when I have my distortion pedal and pa2 running, and even without them running I still have a lot of feedback. I was recently playing master of puppets and there was so much feedback when I was doing the 0-0-7 0-0-6 0-0-5 0-4-0-3-0-2 part of the song (part right after the power chords at the beginning), and it was hard to hear the notes because if the feedback from the other strings and so forth.
His can I cut down in this?
move your amp to another position or try tilting it upwards, or try turning the volume down or turning down the distortion, you may not need as much as you think. Are you playing in a small room?
A good song should make you wanna tap your foot and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs. I'm only interested in writing great songs.
Mute the strings youre not playing?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
yeah mute the strings and play it slow because you might just be being sloppy. no one likes a sloppy master of puppets
GEAR:
Vox AD30VT XL
Jackson DK2M Dinky Trans. Black
Fender G-Dec
Razorback DB Black
EHX Metal Muff
Originally Posted by Kaasflipje
Metallica. I don't get what's so awesome about Master of Puppets.

he's awesome because he pulls strings
I know you want a CRUSHING OVERDRIVE tone, but try to cut the gain back and retain the tone. Higher gain general equals higher feedback, because more signal is getting in, and that includes signal that's already gone through...hence a feedback loop.

You'll almost never be able to eliminate feedback in high gain applications, but you can minimize it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
you own a marshall MG and line 6 spider. theres your problem. make sure you mute the strings that arent being played
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
you own a marshall MG and line 6 spider. theres your problem. make sure you mute the strings that arent being played

I never had Feedback problems with my MG, I wanted to kill for some feedback when I had that amp.
A good song should make you wanna tap your foot and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs. I'm only interested in writing great songs.
Quote by Xanron
move your amp to another position or try tilting it upwards, or try turning the volume down or turning down the distortion, you may not need as much as you think. Are you playing in a small room?

Yes, i usually play in my bedroom
Quote by pedroskins
Yes, i usually play in my bedroom

That may be the problem or maybe it's your amps like the other guy said. Try playing your amp in a bigger room and see if you have the same problem.
Quote by Xanron
That may be the problem or maybe it's your amps like the other guy said. Try playing your amp in a bigger room and see if you have the same problem.

How does the size if of the room affect feedback? Is it cuz I'm so close to the amp that I notice the feedback more?
Quote by pedroskins
How does the size if of the room affect feedback? Is it cuz I'm so close to the amp that I notice the feedback more?

That could be it, but your ear is diffrent than my ear. Also, your guitar could be closer to the amp with a small room, which is known to cause feedback.
Quote by pedroskins

Your sound has less room to "move" and it bounces right back, is picked back up by your pickups, and causes a feedback loop.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Well I usually play in my room so is there anything i can do about bass mid or treble (someone mentioned cutting back on gain) that will help lower the feedback?
Quote by pedroskins
Well I usually play in my room so is there anything i can do about bass mid or treble (someone mentioned cutting back on gain) that will help lower the feedback?

Yeah, I'm not saying that your room size is the cause of the problem, but you should cut back on the gain and/or distortion. It may be the cause of the problem. Or try moving your amp to a diffrent spot in your room
Quote by pedroskins

What "range" is your feedback in? Low, mids, or highs? You can attempt to curb some of it by rolling back the range the feedback occurs in, but that's really only a band-aid.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
It's mostly in highs like when I turn up treble or (in my distortion pedal) turn up distortion and turn down tone.
This happens to even the best if amps right? Even amps that guitar gods use right?
Quote by pedroskins
It's mostly in highs like when I turn up treble or (in my distortion pedal) turn up distortion and turn down tone.
This happens to even the best if amps right? Even amps that guitar gods use right?

No, John Petrucci's amp doesn't feedback at all due to his pickups being hand wound by Tony Blair. And if they dared feedback, he'd probably incerate them by going into ultra kill zone mode.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
No, John Petrucci's amp doesn't feedback at all due to his pickups being hand wound by Tony Blair. And if they dared feedback, he'd probably incerate them by going into ultra kill zone mode.

a mark IVC+ going into a vintage 40's cabinet is the way to go (you get e-cookie for reference)

anyways, i would suggest that you turn down your gain. you shouldn't need it past 6 when you have EMG pickups as well as the PA2 preamp
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
try this. my old guitar teacher gave me this tip once. stand in front of your amp and mute the strings. then let them off til you get feedback. then start turning around slowly while muting and unmuting. try to find an angle where you dont get as much feedback. the close interaction of amp and pickups causes a lot of feedback, and sometimes the angle of your pickups to the amp can help it. like with my amps if im facing them i get screeching feedback. if i turn around its gone
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣