the time has come, long hours, hard work, tedious composing, and my band is ready to start playing shows (we have 5 lined up for next month). up untill this point i only played really small stuff with another band and my 18 watts was enough. but now its not, im going to be playing some larger venues and some are not miced. i was thinking about an orange rocker 30 or rockerverb 50. with the 50 i probably wont have to turn it all the way up, so what to do about the overdrive? put an onboard preamp in the guitar? i dont want to **** up my les paul. the 30 i dont know if itd be lound enough, it sucks. so basically i love the orange sound and im open for suggestions. thanks in advance
HiMyNameIsMatt
Quote by surge666
the time has come, long hours, hard work, tedious composing, and my band is ready to start playing shows (we have 5 lined up for next month). up untill this point i only played really small stuff with another band and my 18 watts was enough. but now its not, im going to be playing some larger venues and some are not miced. i was thinking about an orange rocker 30 or rockerverb 50. with the 50 i probably wont have to turn it all the way up, so what to do about the overdrive? put an onboard preamp in the guitar? i dont want to **** up my les paul. the 30 i dont know if itd be lound enough, it sucks. so basically i love the orange sound and im open for suggestions. thanks in advance

If you go with a tube amp, 60 amps can get pretty damn loud. Even my 75w Solid State is pretty damn loud.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
How big are these gigs going to be? An Orange Rocker 30 should be big enough for most medium sized gigging situations.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

the average show will be no more than 300 but some will exceed 500 people
HiMyNameIsMatt
Don't get an Orange. You have a large budget so you should be able to find something better. You know beforehand that you'll need an OD. Why not get something that has the gain you'll need?
Quote by JELIFISH19
Don't get an Orange. You have a large budget so you should be able to find something better. You know beforehand that you'll need an OD. Why not get something that has the gain you'll need?

Better?! Orange amps are amazing. I'd play an Orange over a Marshall or Soldano any day.

Orange amps have an awesome warm tone to them. The rockerverb and thunderverbs have really good gain in them. you wont need anything but an instroment cable going from your guitar straight into the amp itself man. Go test out the amps if you can. This isnt something you should rush. My amp set up is a long time in the works and still isnt even close to being complete. you cant go wrong with orange if you have the money though.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Crohny
Better?! Orange amps are amazing. I'd play an Orange over a Marshall or Soldano any day.

Orange amps have an awesome warm tone to them. The rockerverb and thunderverbs have really good gain in them. you wont need anything but an instroment cable going from your guitar straight into the amp itself man. Go test out the amps if you can. This isnt something you should rush. My amp set up is a long time in the works and still isnt even close to being complete. you cant go wrong with orange if you have the money though.

And they sound amazing when you play Sabbath on them
Quote by Crohny

It's all opinion. I personally think Mesas sound far superior than an Orange, though they're more expensive, they also have more versatility.

TS, we need to know your budget.
Quote by darkcheef
And they sound amazing when you play Sabbath on them

haha truth! i wish i had 2800 to get myself a thunderverb 200. just palm muting on one of those sounds so good. haha.

Quote by FallsDownStairs
It's all opinion. I personally think Mesas sound far superior than an Orange, though they're more expensive, they also have more versatility.

TS, we need to know your budget.

yeah i know its all opinion. i've honestly never heard anyone say that about an orange before though. it caught me off guard. as for mesa, i honestly cant get into them. pretty overrated in my book.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Last edited by Crohny at Oct 11, 2009,
Quote by Crohny

I wasn't saying anything bad about Orange. I personally like them (not top 5 though). But the TS asked about using an overdrive for more gain. If you're spending $1500+ on an amp, I don't think an OD should be the first thing that comes to mind. There are a lot of amps out and he should play a bunch.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I wasn't saying anything bad about Orange. I personally like them (not top 5 though). But the TS asked about using an overdrive for more gain. If you're spending $1500+ on an amp, I don't think an OD should be the first thing that comes to mind. There are a lot of amps out and he should play a bunch.

understandable. i dont see why he'd need a pre amp in his guitar with an orange. you can get a lot of gain out of the rockerverb. from what i read of his im pretty unsure about what hes looking for sound wise. he says he likes the sound of orange, yet wants to add unnecessary items to his line. i've never played a rockerverb at full volume, but ive heard them and its straight guitar to amp. nothing in between and they sound amazing.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
budget is no more than $2500 but thats for the head and cab if its not a combo
and im talking about using a preamp to boost the output signal so i can get natural breakup easier at lower volumes and less gain, more "classic" overdrive
HiMyNameIsMatt
Last edited by surge666 at Oct 12, 2009,
Have you decided yet? I'm having the same dilemma (30 or 50 watts) and was wondering what you chose.
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
Quote by surge666
budget is no more than $2500 but thats for the head and cab if its not a combo
and im talking about using a preamp to boost the output signal so i can get natural breakup easier at lower volumes and less gain, more "classic" overdrive

ok, you're losing me here... you're worried that the 30w won't have enough power, but you want cranked tones at lower volume, and you want either an od or a pre built into your guitar?

gain is gain, regardless of where it's coming from... though results will vary, and more power from your pickups is not neccissarily a good thing. this usually = noise or at the very least a loss in articulation.

the "classic" overdrive you're talking about actually comes from pushing your powertubes. this means the volume's gotta go up. if you want more of a saturated tone, then you push your preamp tubes. you can get similar results by using a simple od or transparent clean boost (depending on what you want... Durham Electronics' "Sex Drive" gets my vote for clean boost).

your budget would more than cover the 30x, an orange 2x12, and a decent od, especially if you're open to buying used. what else do you plan on running in your chain? got any fx you're particularly fond of, or maybe you want to loop a gate, eq, whatever?

the un-mic'd gigs part might prove to be quite a problem too... all you need to do on stage is match the volume level of your drummer, but that doesn't mean the people in the back are going to hear you as well as the people up front. crank it up too loud, and people will ONLY hear you, thus destroying your mix. might be worth your trouble to rent equipment and a sound guy for those gigs... turn some of your worst sounding venues into some of your best (if the price is right and you're getting paid for the gig... might get other bands on the bill to help cover the cost???)

also, what amps have you tried, because as great as orange amps generally are, there's only about a million different amps that fall into the same category. i wouldn't thumb my nose at a jcm800 in good shape at a great deal... you get what i'm saying.