I need your help guys. What's better in your opinion Ibanez or Schecter basses? I'm returning my schecter custom 4 bass cause it has an unfixable buzz. I don't think its schecter, I think I just got a warped bass. So i'm not sure if i want to stay with the custom 4 or lean towards the Ibanez sr500. Your opinion is greatly appreciated.
Well, play both and pick which one feels better in your hands. Personally, im more of an Ibanez fan, Schecters just have never really "clicked" with me, I've just always liked the feel of an Ibanez (especially the SR series), but both are great basses.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
ok thanks. the reason i asked is cause im having trouble getting my hands on a sr500 to try out. so yeah......
I think the 500 is loads better, in terms of sound. The only thing is the really thing neck. I have very small hands, and I think it's too thin. I'm a definite minority though.
Quote by Tostitos
Well, play both and pick which one feels better in your hands. Personally, im more of an Ibanez fan, Schecters just have never really "clicked" with me, I've just always liked the feel of an Ibanez (especially the SR series), but both are great basses.

+1....to everything....

I really like the 500 series and nearly bought it over the 750 cus i'm cheap...but eventually got it anyway. But cha....if you "click" with the ibanez then go with that but not everyone like the thin necks so if that's the case then the schecter is undoubtedly a good instrument and I think you'd be happy with it
I have a SR400QM and I like it alot. I wanna get at least a 500 to use as my main one...I think that's next after the megoliath I'm getting tomorrow.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

I prefer Ibanez over Schecter from an overall feel and sound. Canadian Basser is right, they are very versatile in sound. I own an SR800 myself that I bought second hand.
Both are great basses. I think the Bartiloni pickups beat the EMG-HZ pickups, so I'd probably pick the Ibanez. Play both before purchasing.
Last edited by spectorlegend at Oct 12, 2009,
Apples and oranges. Both have some brilliant unique models, obviously I'm a fan of the ATK series from Ibanez. Schecter do some good Fender rip-offs too.
Ibanez. better resale when you decide you'd rather get a Warwick.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I actually just got an SR500 a few weeks ago. It's my first bass, so I can't really compare it to anything else, but I really like it. I like the thin neck, and it just sounds great in general. I don't know anything about Schecter basses, but I can tell you that I'm really glad that I have an SR500.
Personally, I like schecter.

That buzz probably wasn't unfixable, btw. Schecter has a habit of cutting the nuts on their basses a bit low. Ass you have to do is put a spacer underneath it, which is a very simple process. You pull the nut off, put something under it, and glue it back on.
Nope, no sig here.
I heard some schecters over that interwebs there and they sounded like they were missing something, it sounded hollow. It didn't really sound like it was the lower quality sound either.
They have a very clear tone with an even response across most frequencies, which is typical of an active bass. Any perceived 'emptiness' would have either been from the eq or the recording.
Nope, no sig here.
I own an Ibanez Sr400 and a Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 and I have played almost every bass in the Soundgear Series extensively at a local store. I find that in the same price range, the Schecter bass always wins over the Soundgear in terms of feel and sound. It also doesn't hurt that they look nicer. I really like Schecter's necks because they are thin, but not too thin like a lot of the Ibanez basses. I also found the Schecters' tones to be more flexible than the Ibanez counterparts. The Schecter basses seem to specialize in a mid range "growl" tone while a lot of the Ibanez basses have a tighter low end.

Both companies make very nice basses but I prefer Schecter overall. Both Ibanez and Schecter make basses in the $400-$900 range and I like the Shecters more for that price. However, in the $1000 + range, I would go Ibanez purely because Schecter has no bass in that price range (and the SR and BTB Prestige editions are just beautiful).