I was wondering what basses Flea used? I'm lookin around for a new bass, and am going to be playing some funk rock band, and goin for a sounds similar to his. thanx
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Flea's used quite a lot of different basses. StingRay's, Wal's, Alembic's, Modulus's, Fender Jazz's and most recently is using his FleaBass brand.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Mostly MusicMan Stingrays, Modulus Funk Unlimited(formerly his Sig Model), Fender Jazz, and now his own brand FleaBass.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
has anyone played a FleaBass? i'm looking for a new bass and i actually really like flea's sound
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.
Quote by TK1

Anyone have opinions on the Model 32 bass? It's looks pretty nice but $500 is a pretty high price
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Quote by cal1
Anyone have opinions on the Model 32 bass? It's looks pretty nice but $500 is a pretty high price

Not really a high price. Flea is supposedly one of the best bassists around and he uses it, I guess his opinion must be worth something.
just watched him play with thom yorke and he was using an assortment of fenders.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
I tried a FleaBass several weeks ago. it was OK, but nothing to get excited about. It was pretty much what he says it is in the ads for the thing - a very basic bass that plays and sounds good. No bells and whistles and not a lot of variety in sounds (one pickup; basic EQ). I'm surprised to hear he isn't using it himself. He did an interview in a British Bass magazine and said he planned to use one as soon as they hit the market. Of course, he didn't use his signature Modulus model very much, either.
Quote by FatalGear41
I tried a FleaBass several weeks ago. it was OK, but nothing to get excited about. It was pretty much what he says it is in the ads for the thing - a very basic bass that plays and sounds good. No bells and whistles and not a lot of variety in sounds (one pickup; basic EQ). I'm surprised to hear he isn't using it himself. He did an interview in a British Bass magazine and said he planned to use one as soon as they hit the market. Of course, he didn't use his signature Modulus model very much, either.

That's because you always go running back to the trusty old fender jazz. I just depends on what period in time. He used his modulus a good amount.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by Spaz91
Not really a high price. Flea is supposedly one of the best bassists around and he uses it, I guess his opinion must be worth something.

Not to start an argument or anything but he is one of the best known bassist, not one of the best bas's by along hot. IMO of course.

His new bass's i wouldn't give them a look, they look cheap from that recording on the page sound cheap, and have no appeal what so ever to me. I would prefer any one of his other bass's, but uve always thought this was a real let down.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Spaz91

Look at the Flea's Mission thing on the site. It says he's trying to sell basses to disadvantaged people, but they cost more than a high-end Squier. Then again they're probably built better...
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Quote by cal1
Look at the Flea's Mission thing on the site. It says he's trying to sell basses to disadvantaged people, but they cost more than a high-end Squier. Then again they're probably built better...

The idea is they're solid basses that sound OK, they're gigging standard but affordable, like MIM Fenders. They sell off Flea's name and fame but they aren't crap basses.