I have been having touble with a very simple technique. Just a simple chromatic scale

E--8-7-6-5-6-7--- x10

I have REALLY slowed this down then slowly increasing it but i can't seem to get this really fast. Im not a beginner, I have been playing for a year and a half. Right now I'm working on Afterlife solo by Avengesevenfold and the part before the sweep picking is a simple chromatice run, but its killing me!

Any tips?
well year and a half kind of is beginner but id say keep it slow for a while and just keep doing it over and over on the slower speeds then move up to some medium speeds and then once again just do it over and over, sometimes those back and forth chromatic licks can be a pain if the muscles arent built up
Fast cromatic scales are a bitch, dont worry about it. Just keep practicing as the guy above already said.
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

Co-ordination on the level of Syn's solo in that song is not an easy thing to achieve. A year and a half in my view is kind of like the point where you can call yourself a guitar player, but can still have a lot of technical weaknesses and its fine. That speed and technique, even though its a straight simple pattern, is going to take a while to get.

And make sure you do yourself a favor with the right guitar tone, adjust it so its responsive to your natural, comfortable style, and you don't have to force it too much to get a loud, clear tone
is the problem in the picking or in the fretting? chromatics like that are always difficult to get right, just practice, not much else we can help you with.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TK1
is the problem in the picking or in the fretting? chromatics like that are always difficult to get right, just practice, not much else we can help you with.

I think there is something wrong in my fretting hand because I have also been having trouble doing runs and getting stuff up to speed even though I slow things way down and practice them a lot.
It might be a finger independence issue. I can play 110bpm 16th note 3 notes per string exercises smooth and fine.

But, once i involve all four fingers in a run like in your lick i have to slow it down to half that speed, because my fingers don't work together when i'm using all four. However, the way around this is to do the exercises extremely slowly, and look up economy of motion and finger independence on google. Good luck!