So i was wondering whats the best OD pedal to use as a boost for a hi gain tube amp..the amp in question is a bugera 333xl. thanks
What do you want to do, tighten the amp up, boost gain or both? I can't imagine you needing more gain. Also, what do you want to spend?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
it sounds like you want something like a Zvex super hard on, check that out.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Yeah just as a signal boost to tighten it up. umm well around the 100-200 mark
I've tried a few boosts through the 333xl before I bought it, I liked the Ibanez Tubescreamer through it. I have a BOSS SD1 and just bought a TS9DX to run through it also, and as a boost the Tubescreamer worked really well. You could also consider a Bad Monkey, or a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster I find really helps too.
If you just want to tighten it up and not boost the gain, I'd recommend an EQ with a frowny face curve in front of the amp instead.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Sorry, didn't read TS' last post as he posted same time as me.

If that's what you're after, try the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster, an EQ as mmolteratx suggested, or a TS9 (Level 10, Drive 0) as a clean boost if you're not happy with the Pickup Booster or EQ.
fulltone OCD

it can do anything
GEAR

1966 MUSTANG

valveking 112

markley tuner
Ernie Ball Wah
digitech whammy
fulltone ocd
usa big muff
boss dd7
boss rc-2

Quote by simpleben09
You sir have a mean ass rig. Have a great day.
If you want a boost, get a boost and not an overdrive.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
The EQ would work well to tighten up your sound, you should look into the MXR Ten Band. However, check out the Xotic Effects AC Booster or the RC Booster. Both work well as a clean boost, tighten up your amp significantly, and sound great. One of them gives you more high end, if that's your thing. I forget which one though.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
you might also take a look at the Xotic pedals

RC Booster

and the Unreleased EP Booster
Quote by slickerthnsleek
try the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster

I'll add another +1 to this. They're a tad on the rare side, though.
Quote by ibz_bucket
The EQ would work well to tighten up your sound, you should look into the MXR Ten Band. However, check out the Xotic Effects AC Booster or the RC Booster. Both work well as a clean boost, tighten up your amp significantly, and sound great. One of them gives you more high end, if that's your thing. I forget which one though.

I wouldn't recommend either for tightening up an amp. Both are too transparent. You don't want something with a lot of highs in front of an amp if you want to tighten it up and it doesn't cut much bass, which is absolutely essential in tightening an amp up. I didn't feel like it tightened up any amps I tried it with significantly. If he wanted just a gain boost, I would recommend either in a heartbeat though.

An EQ is still my recommendation, I say get a used Boss GE-7 and mod it for lower noise. If you want an OD, get something in the Tubescreamer vein, those already have the correct EQ response for tightening up an amp. Just make sure to keep the OD level all the way down unless you want to add gain.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Bad Monkey?
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Quote by Flying Couch
I'll add another +1 to this. They're a tad on the rare side, though.

You think so? I see them pretty often.
Maxon OD808, its the classic form of the ibanez tubescreamer. All the kool people use it. (im pretty sure you like metalcore, so people such as as i lay dying, and devin townsend)
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
I use a cool cat drive as a boost and it works wonders.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by mmolteratx
What do you want to do, tighten the amp up, boost gain or both? I can't imagine you needing more gain. Also, what do you want to spend?

sorry for interrupt:
What is the difference between "tighten up" and "boost gain"?
Quote by faramarz
sorry for interrupt:
What is the difference between "tighten up" and "boost gain"?

Tighten up just means smooth out the overall sound, like abbreviate the bass a little, pull down the highs, and usually boost the mids.

Boost gain means to add gain to the signal, which will drive the amp harder and cause the amp to distort more.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Any Tubescreamer or Tubescreamer variation would be good for boosting. TS-9, TS-10, TS-808, Boss SD-1, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive etc...
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Any Tubescreamer or Tubescreamer variation would be good for boosting. TS-9, TS-10, TS-808, Boss SD-1, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive etc...

NOT SD-1, at least without mods... It cuts bass almost completely.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!