How are singers in screamo bands hitting some of these notes, they just sound inhumanly high but you can tell they are belting and pegging them.

such as:
a skylit drive
of machines
pierce the veil
in fear and faith
saosin
etc.

anybody?
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
how do you get to broadway? practice...?...or pitch shifting...if your lazy and have no talent lol
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
Could you give a link to any examples please, with the time these notes occur? I'm not familiar with these bands but may be able to tell what they're doing

Most likely it's a variation of falsetto though, with a bit of raspiness thrown in judging by how you describe it. If you know the song, would roughly 7:00 into I Won't See You Tonight (Part I) by Avenged Sevenfold (over the lyrics "No more breath inside, essence left my heart tonight") be a similar kind of thing?
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Oct 11, 2009,
Are we talking about actual screaming here, or operatic screaming.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
I have no idea how to do stuff like that. If you're interested in screamo, try getting some of Melissa Cross's instructional videos.
Operatic screaming? What's that?

I've watched a couple of Melissa Cross' videos. I wouldn't advise them. But then again.... I suppose if you're looking for something that will destroy your voice in five years, then it's probably a pretty good resource. Ironically, the average person can probably save their $69.99 or whatever and figure out how to destroy their voice on their own. It's not hard. It just involves abuse and punishment and pain. Meh....I'll pass.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
By operatic screaming I meant the really high 80's clean screams.

My screaming specialty is high screams, and it took me a long to develop them.

The concept behind high screaming is really simple, to get those insane high notes. It's like a guitar string, where theres harmonics on different parts of the string. When screaming, you can add these harmonics (Essentially multiple pitches, and yes the throat IS capable of doing this it's not impossible.) if you move your throat the right way and such.

It depends on the screamer, and what harmonics they choose to use or 'isolate' as I like to call it. Like I can literally pick tones to add to my voice. Generally it's death growl, then a mid harmonic, then a high, then a very high, and then it just whistle/crackles and dies. It's all feeling though, and really cannot be taught.

Unless you've screamed for a while though, I would seriously not recommend trying this at all. I'm not going to lie, you can **** up your throat really easy if you use the wrong part of your throat. Screaming that high should not hurt, but it will feel uncomfortable simply because of the massive amounts of pressure passing through your chords and the high notes.

If you feel that certain physical pain (You WILL know), which any screamer will recognize as accidentally using their chords, I can tell you that even the black metal shrieks are almost entirely pain free, and that you should figure out a way that does NOT involve the throat because it IS possible, I do it.

-------------------

To axe: The fry screaming melissa teaches DOES work and will NOT screw with your throat but it's really only useful for a handful of genres. She never really goes into false chord for more then half a minute, and does a bad job of adding safely adding rasp to your voice.

For modern emo band screaming though, she hits the mark. Just not for death metal or black metal....
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Last edited by Ghast at Oct 12, 2009,
example would be around 2:36 in this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3wSeAZXo70

when he is singing "whoa" it seems freakishly high for a male

also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByfSMc-0gFk at :50 seconds

same band when he is singing "fall asleep" way high

does the reverb just make it sound higher and more epic than it actually is or what?
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
Last edited by NnjRik at Oct 12, 2009,
Quote by axemanchris
Operatic screaming? What's that?

I've watched a couple of Melissa Cross' videos. I wouldn't advise them. But then again.... I suppose if you're looking for something that will destroy your voice in five years, then it's probably a pretty good resource. Ironically, the average person can probably save their $69.99 or whatever and figure out how to destroy their voice on their own. It's not hard. It just involves abuse and punishment and pain. Meh....I'll pass.

CT

Okay, I was actually wondering about the worth of her screaming sections. I don't at all agree with her approach toward singing, but I figured maybe her forte was maybe just more geared toward screaming.
Quote by NnjRik
example would be around 2:36 in this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3wSeAZXo70

when he is singing "whoa" it seems freakishly high for a male

also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByfSMc-0gFk at :50 seconds

same band when he is singing "fall asleep" way high

does the reverb just make it sound higher and more epic than it actually is or what?

No, that doesn't sound like studio trickery. He's doing that legitimately. It's really high, but it's totally doable. Just develop a really strong head voice. I don't know how he does those screamo things though.
mmk I was just checking to make sure it was not a convincing falsetto or some studio magic

thanks
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
Yeah, it's like a screaming falsetto.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
There's a screamo-ish Japanese band called 凛として時雨 ("ling tosite sigure" is one romanisation) whose male and female vocalists both have insanely high pitched voices. When I first heard them I thought it was two female singers. :P

The guy's screaming technique doesn't seem particularly healthy though; I think he might be actually screaming? There's some good closeups of his throat in some of their live videos, though I don't really know what good or bad technique looks like. Try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJlctWuLs8g and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edZJyQH2Dgs