Page 1 of 3
I need some serious help here GB&C. I want to convert a Squier Strat to an Orange&Black variation of EVH's Frankenstein.

So to all you pros, (I know your out there, ive seen your stuff) Can you please help me? How would i get started? And how do you make the Frankenstein design? I have no idea how to get started or what materials I need, etc

AS MUCH INFO AS POSSIBLE ON WHAT I NEED, AND WHAT TO DO WOULD BE AWESOME!!

This would be my first project ever, and as excited as I am, Im a bit nervous because I dont know the first thing about customizing a guitar. Help me out guys!

The victim:

After: (except black base, orange stripes)

If anyone experienced give me like a Step 1, Step 2, Step 3, Step... etc? That would be so helpful. If I get enough info to start going, Ill keep you guys posted on my progress!

Thanks guys!
.:.MetaLLIcA.:.
step 1: be creative.
step 2: abandon project for something more unique.
step 3: ???
step 4: PROFIT!
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Spray paint it orange. tape it (in random strips), spray it black. Remove tape.
Smart Pothead and Proud
Quote by TK1
step 1: be creative.
step 2: abandon project for something more unique.
step 3: ???
step 4: PROFIT!

Usually, I;d say this. But as a first project this is pretty good.

1. Sand down whatever is on there. Try not to go through the sanding sealer t save yourself time.
2. Prime it.
3. Get creative. Lay a base coat. Then go crazy with different sized masking tape, doing coat after coat.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Krylon paint would be the best, but that is a discussion for the Painting And Refinishing Thread.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Do you know how to put the guitar back together, wire it, set it up...all of that good stuff?

Cause if not, this step1, step2 crap is going to get pretty out of hand......

You completely disassemble the guitar. Sand the existing finish, you don't have to take it all the way down. Read some threads about refinishing.

The EVH paintjob is accomplished by spraying a basecoat, letting it dry completely, then taping off a pattern with various widths of masking tape, then spraying the secondary color. In the case of the 3 color frankenstein, throw in one more step of the same process.

Clear coat if you want to, buff it if you want to. Lots of threads about that I'm sure.

Reassemble the guitar.

You can use an assortment of different materials, everything from spray can Krylon to top of the line Automotive paints. Just depends on the specifics of your goal and what you're capable of.
If your planning on installing a Floyd Rose, etc., I'm sure there are loads of threads about those things specifically.
I don't know about the paint job, but if you want to upgrade the hardware as well, I have a bunch of links and info in my project thread. The link is in my sig. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
Last edited by ATLstang at Oct 12, 2009,
EVHs Frankenstein design is one of the sickest ever in my opinion. So sorry for not being more "creative". Its my first project, and I think I might be able to handle it.

My plan is to actually have a black base coat with burnt orange and dark red stripes. Almost like a tri-burst, but in stripe form.

After I get all that done, I hope to put an actual floyd rose in (depending on the cost), and change the pickups. But thats a story for another day.

Quote by Metalhead_28
Do you know how to put the guitar back together, wire it, set it up...all of that good stuff?

Cause if not, this step1, step2 crap is going to get pretty out of hand......

I have NO idea how to disassemble a guitar. What do you suggest I do? Should I go to like a repair shop and have them strip it for me?
Quote by ATLstang
I don't know about the paint job, but if you want to upgrade the hardware as well, I have a bunch of links and info in my project thread. The link is in my sig. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

Thanks for your support man. I plan to reconfigure the hardware and stuff after my paint job is complete. Ill hit you up if I have any questions.
Quote by .:.MetaLLIcA.:.
EVHs Frankenstein design is one of the sickest ever in my opinion. So sorry for not being more "creative". Its my first project, and I think I might be able to handle it.

My plan is to actually have a black base coat with burnt orange and dark red stripes. Almost like a tri-burst, but in stripe form.

After I get all that done, I hope to put an actual floyd rose in (depending on the cost), and change the pickups. But thats a story for another day.

I have NO idea how to disassemble a guitar. What do you suggest I do? Should I go to like a repair shop and have them strip it for me?

Theres a book by John Gleneicki called "How to Create a Factory Guitar Finish," which I bought a long time ago. You seem to be very new to this stuff, and it is geared toward people like you, and talks about dissasembling a guitar, painting, soldering, and even tells you how to paint the design you want (obviously youd have to change the colors though). Im not affiliated with them in any way, but it was very helpful to me when I first started out, so you may want to looks into it
Impossible is Nothing
First off, I would read the Ultimate Refinishing Thread.
Link Here

As for the Floyd Rose, if you really want that, I would do it before you paint the guitar. The reason being, you're going to need to route a recess under the bridge to be able to pull the floyd up. Also, you'll have to route the nut for a locking nut. Also, on that squier, you're going to have to fill the 6 existing bridge mounting holes and drill out 2 more for the floyd's mounting studs.

That is why I'd recommend staying with a Fender style tremolo since you're new to the game. Guitar Fetish makes a nice upgrade Tremolo assembly that fits import strats, but I would just upgrade the BLOCK and the SADDLES. I like those stainless steel saddles better than the one on GFS' upgrade trem. They're the ones I used in my build, and paired with the solid big steel block they made a large difference, just use the baseplate from the Squier trem. Also, if you have the money, I would invest in some TUNERS and a new NUT to replace the stock pieces. Also, replacing the bridge mounting screws with screws of better quality will make a difference. CALLAHAM GUITARS has some really awesome hardware, all of it made of hardened stainless steel. The bridge mounting screws are about halfway down the page. All of this stuff will help your guitar resonate better, increase sustain, and help it keep in tune a lot better, especially when you're using the trem. Guitar Fetish is good mid-range hardware, and it will be a large upgrade over what that Squier has now, especially if it's a bullet. Callaham has all the parts that I listed as well, probably of higher quality, but that $20 block from Guitar Fetish is about $60 from Callaham, not worth it on a Squier IMO. If you really want a Floyd, go for it, but the parts that I linked to are affordable, easy to install, and will really make that little guitar come alive. WARMOTH is another great source of guitar hardware. They really have everything you need to build/rebuild a guitar, and it's all name brand stuff at really great prices.

Just do some research man, I hope this helps a little, or at the least, give you something to think about. Check my project thread maybe for some ideas if you want, and like I said above, feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I've done a lot of research on budget Strat upgrades, and I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.
Gear:
Vox AC4TV
Quote by ATLstang
First off, I would read the Ultimate Refinishing Thread.
Link Here

As for the Floyd Rose, if you really want that, I would do it before you paint the guitar. The reason being, you're going to need to route a recess under the bridge to be able to pull the floyd up. Also, you'll have to route the nut for a locking nut. Also, on that squier, you're going to have to fill the 6 existing bridge mounting holes and drill out 2 more for the floyd's mounting studs.

That is why I'd recommend staying with a Fender style tremolo since you're new to the game. Guitar Fetish makes a nice upgrade Tremolo assembly that fits import strats, but I would just upgrade the BLOCK and the SADDLES. I like those stainless steel saddles better than the one on GFS' upgrade trem. They're the ones I used in my build, and paired with the solid big steel block they made a large difference, just use the baseplate from the Squier trem. Also, if you have the money, I would invest in some TUNERS and a new NUT to replace the stock pieces. Also, replacing the bridge mounting screws with screws of better quality will make a difference. CALLAHAM GUITARS has some really awesome hardware, all of it made of hardened stainless steel. The bridge mounting screws are about halfway down the page. All of this stuff will help your guitar resonate better, increase sustain, and help it keep in tune a lot better, especially when you're using the trem. Guitar Fetish is good mid-range hardware, and it will be a large upgrade over what that Squier has now, especially if it's a bullet. Callaham has all the parts that I listed as well, probably of higher quality, but that $20 block from Guitar Fetish is about $60 from Callaham, not worth it on a Squier IMO. If you really want a Floyd, go for it, but the parts that I linked to are affordable, easy to install, and will really make that little guitar come alive. WARMOTH is another great source of guitar hardware. They really have everything you need to build/rebuild a guitar, and it's all name brand stuff at really great prices.

Just do some research man, I hope this helps a little, or at the least, give you something to think about. Check my project thread maybe for some ideas if you want, and like I said above, feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I've done a lot of research on budget Strat upgrades, and I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

Ya im low on funds as well. As for the hardware, I really havent decided whether or not to go floyd rose. I mean I want to go floyd, only thing is theyre expensive as sh.it and a pain in the arse. I just dont know much about the bridge the squier has on it now and I want to have the best setup possible so my shredding isnt restricted, you know? I dont want to get cheap, crappy parts. I will def check those sites out tho. So you think I should make the upgrades BEFORE I start paint work?

I also kinda want some locking nuts at the neck used mainly with floyds (im not sure if they work without the floyd but I would think so)
Don't get to far ahead of yourself. Yes, it is possible, but I suggest that you learn how to take the guitar apart and reassemble it before you do anything to hard.

The EVH paintjob is not hard, you can get all of your questions answered in there.

I suggest that you do some of your OWN research. Because honestly, if you can't even disassemble a bolt on neck guitar, then I highly doubt that you will be able to install a floyd rose and a monkey grip.
I just had an idea.

WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO MONKEY GRIP IT??

Anything is possible. Just like the floyd it will take a lot of custom routing, something probably better left to a professional if you don't have the right tools.

As for the locking nut, it will work regardless of what bridge you have, it's just a nut that clamps the strings so they don't go out of tune. They work best with a floyd rose though, because when you clamp the thing down it makes the strings go slightly sharp and then has to be adjusted with the floyd's fine tuners.

If you really want to shoot for the floyd, Warmoth has probably the best prices on the original ones. If you get the floyd, yes, I would get that before you paint it, just because you're going to have to rework the body and neck for it to work properly, like I said above.

Link Link to Locking Nut

I did link to some budget minded parts earlier, and I'm not telling you what to do, but personally, I wouldn't put a $180 bridge on a guitar that costs that much brand new. If you are set on a floyd rose, that's cool, but keeping with the Fender style bridge and upgrading those parts will work really well and give you a lot more bang for your dollar, especially on a Squier.

The thing is that it's your build, and you can do what you want with it. Maybe if you want to save some money, you can pick up a licensed floyd. I know guitar fetish has one, both a double locker and a speedloader version, I can't speak for the quality of those though. If you're wanting to upgrade the fender bridge and tuners with something of name brand now, check around warmoth and they have all that stuff as well at probably the lowest prices you're going to find.

HTH
Gear:
Vox AC4TV
Quote by ATLstang
As for the locking nut, it will work regardless of what bridge you have, it's just a nut that clamps the strings so they don't go out of tune. They work best with a floyd rose though, because when you clamp the thing down it makes the strings go slightly sharp and then has to be adjusted with the floyd's fine tuners.

A locking nut can only be used with a bridge with a fine tuners eg. Floyd Rose because of the strings going after clamping down the string locks.

TS, You can buy a schaller or gotoh floyd rose and save a bit of money. They are essentially the same tremolo and same quality level. Try All Parts or Warmoth.
Step 1, Step 2, Step 3, Step... etc? That would be so helpful.

step 1: use google
step 2: use the searchbar
step 3: use the stickys

considering how completely overdone the whole frankenstrat-type projects are there is no excuse for not being able to find any of the information/step by step tutorials that you seek on your own.
Quote by guitarcam123
A locking nut can only be used with a bridge with a fine tuners eg. Floyd Rose because of the strings going after clamping down the string locks.

TS, You can buy a schaller or gotoh floyd rose and save a bit of money. They are essentially the same tremolo and same quality level. Try All Parts or Warmoth.

Isn't that what I said ... What I meant was that you can install a locking nut on any guitar, I guess if you wanted to, but it only works properly with a bridge like a Floyd Rose. Then I went on to explain that.....sorry if I was unclear

TS-I liked you to the OFR on warmoth, they have the schaller licensed version as well if you want to look at those as well. Also, like the guy said above, allparts.com has a good selection, also stewmac.com.

Happy Hunting, and if you want more answers about the Floyd Rose as far as installation goes, there is a designated thread floating around here about installing a floyd rose on almost any guitar. Also check google, there's many articles about installing a floyd rose on a strat.
Gear:
Vox AC4TV
You said, "it will work regardless which bridge you have"

To me that sounds like it will work with any bridge, which it can't, unless you don't use the string clamps off course.
Quote by guitarcam123
You said, "it will work regardless which bridge you have"

To me that sounds like it will work with any bridge, which it can't, unless you don't use the string clamps off course.

Ok, well whatever, I clarified it. Thanks for letting me know that I was wrong.
Gear:
Vox AC4TV
I just dont know much about the bridge the squier has on it now and I want to have the best setup possible so my shredding isnt restricted, you know? I dont want to get cheap, crappy parts.

The only reason I chose floyds in the first place was because EVH has one on his Frankenstein. But as I came to find, they are too expensive and a pain in the as.s for me to use. Plus, because of my experience level, I dont think I should. Ill probably end up staying with a Strat stlye tremolo.

Quote by guitarcam123
A locking nut can only be used with a bridge with a fine tuners eg.

Ya I overlooked the fine tuners. One of my guitars has a floyd, so I should of known.

Quote by guitarcam123
Don't get to far ahead of yourself. Yes, it is possible, but I suggest that you learn how to take the guitar apart and reassemble it before you do anything to hard.
I suggest that you do some of your OWN research. Because honestly, if you can't even disassemble a bolt on neck guitar, then I highly doubt that you will be able to install a floyd rose and a monkey grip.

Im just throwing out ideas. And I really dont even know where to get started to learning how to disassemble the guitar. Am I supposed to get a book? What if I just went to a luthier?
And I did do some research in the forums last night, I found the guide to refinishing, but no guitar disassembly process, etc.

All your input helps guys, even the bad stuff.
Thanks
Last edited by .:.MetaLLIcA.:. at Oct 12, 2009,
There is no mysterious method involved in disassembling a guitar.
A casual inspection should reveal the required tools for the job, a couple of wrenches and screwdrivers. Surely you are not looking for a screw by screw rundown.....?
If you're going to do a refinish - everything has to come off.

basic assembly of a guitar is much the same - largely obvious and self-explanatory. Wiring is a different story, as is machining for new hardware, doing a set-up, etc. All of that stuff is covered pretty well in dedicated threads I'm sure and I think it would be better to tackle the things you cannot figure out as individual problems rather than asking for a step by step procedure for an entire project.
TS, if you go to the GB&C starter kit thread, download the Painting and Accessories files. In it, there is a PDF version of a book that pretty much goes step by step as how to paint a frankenstrat.

Link
Gear:
Vox AC4TV
Quote by Metalhead_28
A casual inspection should reveal the required tools for the job, a couple of wrenches and screwdrivers. Surely you are not looking for a screw by screw rundown.....?

...rather than asking for a step by step procedure for an entire project.

Im not asking for a step by step for the entire project, just to get started. When I said a step 1 2 3, I didnt mean like Step one, loosen the left screw. Step 2, loosen the right screw, etc. I was thinking of something more along the lines of this:

-Step 1, Dis Assemble the guitar.
remove the strings, and unscrew the neck.
(the wiring is the part im clueless about. I dont want to just yank that sh.it up out of there and mess up my guitar.) @Metalhead: And I WILL search the forums for walkthroughs.

-Step 2, Refinish.
Sand down and prepare for paint.
Let dry thoroughly before continuing.
Do Frankenstrat design.
*(Can anyone explain a little more in depth about the taping? If I want a black base coat, how do I tape and get red and orange stripes?)

-Step 3, rebuild the guitar.
Step 1 in reverse.

See? Not that hard to explain. I dont even know if those steps are right. Did I miss anything? All Im asking for is a little clarification.
-Step 2, Refinish.
Sand down and prepare for paint.
Let dry thoroughly before continuing.
Do Frankenstrat design.
*(Can anyone explain a little more in depth about the taping? If I want a black base coat, how do I tape and get red and orange stripes?)

If you want black to be the part you see the most then you will do that last.
Prime, spray with orange, tape it up, spray your red. Untape. Retape over the lines somewhat and wherever else you want really and then paint it black.
Last edited by C1337us at Oct 12, 2009,

Yeah, click on the link I posted for you, download the file that I said to. It's all in there.
Gear:
Vox AC4TV
Quote by C1337us
If you want black to be the part you see the most then you will do that last.
Prime, spray with orange, tape it up, spray your red. Untape. Retape over the lines somewhat and wherever else you want really and then paint it black.

Ohh. Ok. I think I get it now. But one question: wont painting the red over the orange make a red-orange color? Or will the red totally overpower the orange?
And if you were to add another color, say yellow, how would that affect the process?

Quote by ATLstang
Yeah, click on the link I posted for you, download the file that I said to. It's all in there.

Ill be sure to check those guides out. Do you think it has anything about how to remove the tremolo?

Thanks guys
Ill be sure to check those guides out. Do you think it has anything about how to remove the tremolo?

The tremolo couldn't be easier to take out, seriously. Take the strings off of your guitar first, then take off the rear tremolo cover (the plastic piece on the back), remove the springs that are attached to the block attached to the bottom of the bridge. Then, just unscrew the 6 screws that hold the bridge on on the top.
Gear:
Vox AC4TV
Quote by ATLstang
The tremolo couldn't be easier to take out, seriously. Take the strings off of your guitar first, then take off the rear tremolo cover (the plastic piece on the back), remove the springs that are attached to the block attached to the bottom of the bridge. Then, just unscrew the 6 screws that hold the bridge on on the top.

Haha thats it? Wow. I just took the plastic back cover off of mine to see what was inside and was wondering how hard it would be. I guess not hard at all. Thanks.
Question:

How difficult is it to mod your pickup holes to fit a humbucker, single, humbucker?
or maybe even a single, nothing, humbucker like EVH?

Any input about that- which might sound better?

I know Dave from Maiden uses a HSH setup on his strat..

Once again, im just throwing out ideas. No need to shoot me down.

Thanks guys.
I would be willing to bet your strat is routed for an HSH configuration. you'll have to take off the pickguard to see though. If it's routed for that configuration, just buy the appropriate pickguard for whatever configuration you want. while you have the strings off to remove the tremolo, unscrew the screws holding the pickguard on and have a look under there.
Gear:
Vox AC4TV
Ohh. Ok. I think I get it now. But one question: wont painting the red over the orange make a red-orange color? Or will the red totally overpower the orange?
And if you were to add another color, say yellow, how would that affect the process?

If you let the orange dry fully then apply the red properly and thick enough you should be fine.

And yellow is just another colour, just another layer of taping.
Quote by ATLstang
I would be willing to bet your strat is routed for an HSH configuration. you'll have to take off the pickguard to see though. If it's routed for that configuration, just buy the appropriate pickguard for whatever configuration you want. while you have the strings off to remove the tremolo, unscrew the screws holding the pickguard on and have a look under there.

No way? I would never have guessed. You have a Squier Strat, right? Is that the case for yours?
No way? I would never have guessed. You have a Squier Strat, right? Is that the case for yours?

Yes, most Squier strats produced over the past few years are routed that way.
Gear:
Vox AC4TV
I just had an idea.

WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO MONKEY GRIP IT??

I was just rereading this thread, and a thought hit me: Squier Strats are solid body guitars, right? While its sanded down and naked for the paint job, I could actually just wing it and design my own grip, and cut it out accordingly? Then I could just sand down the finger indentations in the grip, paint and whallah! Monkey Grip.

What do you think? Theres bound to be a stencil around here somewhere..
Last edited by .:.MetaLLIcA.:. at Oct 13, 2009,
How much do guitar necks cost?

Im thinking about just buying a whole new neck because Im not a fan of the Squier Strat or the regular Strat necks. I like the necks with jumbo 24-frets. Those are nice for soloing on. This one, not so much.

At first I was thinking of buying a Fender Strat neck. But then I thought about being creative, and I thought to myself, what if I were to get like an Ibanez neck? Jackson? What about a Les Paul? (not the SGs because I dont like their necks)

That would give me A- a better neck to play on, and B- a different headstock to be more creative. Like the Chimera- body of lion, wings of an eagle, tail of a snake? Mine would be Body of a strat (well squier strat, but no one has to know that), Monkey grip of a Jem, Neck of something else. How about that?!

What do you guys think? Would that be playable? Any major sound difference to either you know of?
Quote by divinorum69
Yes.... You need to check neck pocket compatibility issues, and scale length compatibility issues.

How would I go about doing that?
Page 1 of 3