Page 1 of 3
A lot of us swap them out for something "better". Lets discuss what we have and why.

I have a lp style guitar with duncan pearly gates. Great classic rock buckers.
I use lace hot golds in a strat for single coil strat tones.
I have texas specials in a tele and dig those a bunch.
Also, a Bill Lawrence L500 sits in the bridge of my Washburn, that thing is a monster.

What cha got? What kind of music do you use them for?

Basically, i am bored, and the threads have been a bit stale lately.

Post away gear vvhores!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
EMG 85 in the bridge of my Viper 400, 9v/18v switchable by a mini toggle. no neck pickup.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Gibson Explorer reissue that i replaced the stock pups with for a duncan JB/59, god i love the sound those make. im debating putting some EMG's in my LTD M series, as it currently has some janky Duncan designed ones that just dont have enough output.

Also, I once had a strat with a set of those Mini-JB's (the ones that fit into a single coil profile, but are buckers) all the way through. that thing had the most rediculous tone.
Guitars:
Gibson Explorer - White
PRS SE Singlecut
Fender Acoustic

Amps:
Crate head w/ POD preamp
Crate 120 watt POS
Crate Cab
I haz a DiMarzio D-sonic in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck of my Ibanez S, and they're pretty solid. D-sonic is sooooooo chunky. Air Norton not bad. Looking for a switch to some BareKnuckles or Lundgrens but I don't see it happening anytime soon cause they cost a fortune.

Stock PRS pickups which are dope.

See if I can buy a pair of suhr pickups some time. SSV+ is tasty.
Burstbucker Pros on my LP, 57 Classics on my SG, Vintage Noiseless or Lace Golds on my Strat depending on my mood. The BB Pros are pretty decent for stock pickups. I don't like the 57 Classics much in my SG but they sound a bit better in my LP. I want to try some new stuff but I got my hours cut back really bad at work today and can't afford anything ATM.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Converted my EMG 81/85's to 18v. Much more organic tone.

Swapped out a Dimarzio Evolution and Duncan Single Coil (Not sure what model) for a Breed and Air Norton. Much fatter and more responsive tone. Both are extremely versatile for anything from Shoegazey cleans, light breakup to the heaviest of Metal tones.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
I'm a pickup nut...

The current pickups that are residing in my les paul are...

Wolfetone Dr. Vintage neck and a Wolfetone custom wind in the bridge which replaced a set of WCRs (which are badass in themselves).

I pretty much use them for anything. I really like them, very PAF-like.
I have a BKP Nailbomb in the bridge of my Artcore, which sounds phenomenal.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I have a Bare Knuckle Mircale Man in my Edwards Alexi sig (White Scythe) - Mainly a metal guitar

I have a Bare Knuckle Painkiller in my 2nd Edwards Alexi sig (Pink Sawtooth) - metal & shredding guitar

I also have a a Bare Knuckle Nailbomb and a Trilogy Suite in my Ibanez.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
raging whats the triology set like?

I've gone through so many duncans and dimarzios its crazy.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
raging whats the triology set like?

I've gone through so many duncans and dimarzios its crazy.

Its fat... really fat.

I don't really use it all that much.

Its one of my quirks / OCDs... I need to have my guitar complete. So I picked it up at Tim Mills recommendation when I said I wanted a single coil to accompany the Nailbomb set and round out my Ibanez (H-S-H).

It sounds like a single coiled humbucker... if that make sense. It doesn't have have the loss of some twang like most humbuckers, but the sound is huge.

Its really hard to describe. Think of a humbucker sound, without that humbucker chug... but with a very slight twang like most single coils. The Triolgy Suite screams and pounds more than it sounds light and twangy.

Its a good match for high output humbuckers... you don't feel that the tone is thin or nasally like with some single coils. I think its a perfect match for my Nailbombs.

Compared to most single coils I have used... I'd say it rates as a 8.5... I like the up-front tone, but it doesn't really twang as much as most single coils. Its not your typical single coil. If I had to describe it... it fills the in-between ground that exists between single-coils and humbuckers.

Does that help you?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 12, 2009,
based on the name i thought it would be some kind of yngwie malmsteen type pickup. and from the description of it it seems to fit the bill. Thanks for the description
Quote by mexican_shred
based on the name i thought it would be some kind of yngwie malmsteen type pickup. and from the description of it it seems to fit the bill. Thanks for the description

I understand that some of BKP's pups are named after songs / artist / albums that inspired their voicing... so it could be.

On a note... the Trilogy Suite is really great for shredding and metal techniques.

Palm mutes sound thumping, pinch harmonics literally scream, and arpeggios sound fluid and filled out when using the Trilogy Suite.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Ha that explains it then. if i ever get a strat ill be sure to check them out.

btw YJM has a song called triology suite which his tone on there describes your description
Quote by mexican_shred
Ha that explains it then. if i ever get a strat ill be sure to check them out.

btw YJM has a song called triology suite which his tone on there describes your description

Yeah I think they are worth the time.

I preferred the clean twang of my Lace Sensors... but they were overpowered by my D Sonic... so when I changed over to Bare Knuckles... I thought I should get the single changed too.

Haha... I'm sure I have YJM's CD somewhere.. I'll go check the tone out and tell you if that's the sound I hear from my Trilogy Suite.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Dragon II pickups in my Standard 24.

In the Strat that was stolen, I had a set of Stephens Design overwound Mojo V pickups. They were heavenly.

Still rockin' the stockers in my Tele until I can get some extra scratch for a set of Stephens Design pickups.
Hi, I'm Peter
I really want a set of SD vintage labs, but alas, $400 is a bit hard to swing
Quote by al112987
I really want a set of SD vintage labs, but alas, $400 is a bit hard to swing

That's the new one right? Stephen says he's not gonna experiment further on vintage repros since he's basically achieved his goals now.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
After 7 months, I'm still finding great tones on my 81/85 combo, I find they are pretty versatile and will cover from Blues to Metal and get the early Rock tones perfectly. My Yammy has a 500L in the bridge and DiMarzio himbucking soapbar in the neck but may get both replaced with Hot Slags eventually. My 12 has stocks which do the job.
The LP I'm getting next Spring will probably have a pair of Rolling Mills with an overwound at the bridge as it will be mainly for Blues and Classic with the odd bit of Country/Folk,
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

A homemade Wolfgang with a Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge for nice harmonics and crunchiness. Humbucker from Hell in the neck for beautiful cleans.

A Jay Turser Explorer with a Tone Zone in the bridge and the stock neck pickup.

Stratocrapster (the body is now falling apart which will probably lead to a new body being built some time...) it has a stock single coil in the neck, I took out the middle, and it has a cheap EVH knockoff pickup in it from accessories.

Planning on making another guitar sometime and I plan on having a tone zone in the bridge and a Air Norton with coil tap in the neck, for cleans when tapped and "woman tone" solos untapped.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
I've got a Super Distortion in the bridge of my RG with an Air Norton in the neck. I really like the SD but want to swap the Air Norton out for something ceramic.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I've got standard squier singlecoils in my squier bullet and they REALLY have a twang :P, SO MUCH that they suck balls.

In my Epiphone Korina Explorer I have standard Epi Humbuckers and the neck one is nothing more than OK, and the bridge one is much too bright for me, it should be fatter and chunckier but I don't know for what I am going to swap them out.

I only want SDs or EMGs because they have nice gold covers and I can get them at my local shop.

Doubting between classical 85/81 combo or SH2 / 4 6 or even invader.
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 RI
Gibson Les Paul Custom '57 Historic RI '05
Fender American Vintage '52 RI Telecaster '02
Fender American Vintage '62 RI Stratocaster '07
I got stock pickups in my SSS Squier (one of the older ones)...They sound fine to my ears, but I haven't actually played a better guitar, so I'm not one to judge :P

They're ceramic, but I guess they're gotten demagnetized over the years, if that's possible, they're much more warmer than other ceramic guitars I've played (I've actually been told a lot that the bridge sounds like a humbucker in terms of warmth and bass), though I'm hoping to replace them eventually. Any recommendations? I play electric blues and classic rock.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Last edited by AntiG3 at Oct 12, 2009,
BKP cold sweat neck and painkiller bridge in my custom 24, mostly for melodic death metalish stuff
Last edited by Eltis at Oct 12, 2009,
I've got some '52 RI tele pups right now. nice and microphonic. I can tap my guitar and hear it through the amp. I play some country, mostly blues/blues-rock
I have a modified Duncan JB with a stronger magnet in it. I think it just gets me that crunch that I could never find. But there is a downside. Way too much treble when you switch over to the clean side of things.

My DREAM machine would have a Duncan Alternative 8 bridge, My JB in the middle and a Duncan '59 in the neck on a Les Paul.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
In my Les Paul, I've got a Suhr DSV bridge pickup and a Dimarzio Air Zone in the neck. The neck pickup can be split via turning the neck tone knob down.

In my Dean, I have the original stock Dimarzio Super Distortions. They sound too rad.

My Carvel copy has a Dimarzio P.A.F. Pro that was rewound hotter.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
In my strat I've got a set of Rock Monkey pickups from our very own Cord. Great single coil sound, can't remember which models I'll edit them in.

Smooth Groove 62s in the neck, Warm Gorilla Groove in the bridge
Last edited by aaronni at Oct 12, 2009,
I have a Jb humbucker in the bridge of my Brian Moore and an alnico II s in the mid and an Alnico II h in the neck. I have a js30 hb in my charvel and it sucks. i want to get one of those PRS 57/08 pups and I also want those customized jb/ custom customs in my Brian Moore. I kinda want a gold EMG set for My Brian Moore also. do they have gold covereed single coils.
Quote by aaronni
In my strat I've got a set of Rock Monkey pickups from our very own Cord. Great single coil sound, can't remember which models I'll edit them in.

Smooth Groove 62s in the neck, Warm Gorilla Groove in the bridge

Cord is a great guy, very helpfull. Plus he gives us UGers 10% off.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Cord is a great guy, very helpfull. Plus he gives us UGers 10% off.

Indeed he is, I actually got mine in a pedal trade otherwise I may not have been as willing to splash the cash on them. Had been wanting them for a while though, great pickups.
I have a Dean Evo with stock pickups But I am thinking of switching in either a Seymour Duncan JB or Full Shred into the bridge. I am already pretty set with my sound, I just want to refine it more and I feel that new pickups will add that little bit of clarity I feel I am missing. Any comments guys?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I think this is a very interesting thread! Keep em coming!
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 RI
Gibson Les Paul Custom '57 Historic RI '05
Fender American Vintage '52 RI Telecaster '02
Fender American Vintage '62 RI Stratocaster '07
In my Strat, Dimarzio Virtual Solo in the bridge and stock Alnico III single coils in the middle and neck. The Dimarzio is a stacked humbucking single coil, and IMO sounds better than the humbucker pickup on my other guitar: the Dimarzio is completely and utterly silent, which is great for higher gain stuff.
SD JB in the bridge and SD Jazz in the neck
i LOVE taylor swift...oyes in a creepy way
Gibson les paul standard

neck has jazz bucker
bridge has jb

its rocks my socks i can tell you
#1- Carvin DC127M - Seymour Duncan Blackout set.

#2- Carvin Bolt - Carvin classics and AP11 (HSH).

#3- JC Harper BD model - Dimarzio D'Activator set.

#4- Epiphone tele - GFS Lil Puncher MV set.

Four guitars four beasts.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
On my Warmoth Strat I have the SD Pearly Gates in the bridge and DiMarzio Area 61 and 58 in the middle and neck. Great single coils...just great.

On my LTD, I changed the horrid stock ESP pickups to GFS Classic II and the change in sound was amazing. I'm really starting to like the LTD. The looks, the feel, the sound, everything.
Gear
Warmoth Stratocaster
Jackson KE3
ESP LTD EC-256

Bogner Alchemist 2x12
Vox AD30VT

Gator GPT-PWR Pedalboard
MXR CAE MC-404 Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Line 6 Uber Metal