I got like three questions.

Well first off I bought a Takamine EG333C Acoustic/Electric about 6 months ago and I like it but not nearly as much as some I have played. Its "harder to play" which is an acoustic thing but I've played some acoustics that are a little more twangy ( without sounding like a slide or anything like that ) and easier to play which sounds nice and is more fun.. Is that the strings or the guitar?

Secondly I decided to replace strings for the first time ever on a guitar I've owned ( sadly yes, and I've played guitar for a year or two ) and I took the bridge pins out with pliars like told, which put dents all over them, taking all of them out ( which I later found out was bad to do.. ) and then I put the low E, A and G strings back in and made a crease at the end by the headstock slid it through and twisted, anyways the strings look horrible lol at the end, I get fret buzz and yeah I'm sure I'm not doing it right.

How much would it cost to bring it in and have some one replace them for me/show me? Can I get that different sound/play style from different type of strings ( suggestions? ) or is that just the guitar? I don't know what I think about my guitar right now..

Thanks for the help, I know its not fun dealing with idiots..
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Peavey Triumph 112 120W all tube
Takamine EG333C
Take it to a guitar tech, maybe all you need it a truss rod adjustment and a restringing, shouldn't go over 15 or 20 bucks.
actually around here it would cost around $50. it's less likely that you need a truss rod adjustment than a set up, although it's certainly possible. most likely you need your action set up, which would mean adjusting the bridge and saddle. some taks have shims under the saddle, which might make things easier.

having a guitar properly set up - which often means having the action lowered - makes a guitar easier to play. heavier strings also make guitars harder to play. and some guitars are a bit shorter than others, which makes them easier to play, as well. you might want to find out what your guitar's scale is.
Last edited by patticake at Oct 12, 2009,
WELL to start with your not a fool , everyone learns one way or the other. I can,t see why you would put holes or dents in the pins, unless your strings didn,t have all the tension released And yes your strings do have great deal of overall sound e mmail me
Well if your in Omaha, NE let me know and I would be glad to show you how to do it and take a look at it.
Don't believe the numbers on prices you get around here. I had numerous people tell me that a guitar setup for my fixed bridge ibanez should be 40-60 and the lowest price I found was 100 from a reputable place and 75 from a dude that claims he used to be a luthier and now just advertises on craigslist and wants me to drop off my guitar at his house, lol.

Taking off all the bridge pins at once will not hurt your guitar. Maybe if you left them off for weeks at a time, but for minutes, not possible.

Smaller gauge strings are easier to play. If you have really tender hands get some custom light strings ( I like D'Addario EXP 80/20 Bronze Strings. Sounds great and stay fresh for a good long while). As far as twang goes I can't help you cause I've never really searched for any twang in my guitar.

As far as the bridge pins go just replace them. They aren't that expensive and you can get nicer ones for pretty cheap. Get one of these and only use this from now on. Anything else and you risk popping off one of the heads or scratching up your bridge. It is a lifesaver and a must have at a cost of 2 bucks. They have a indent on the side which slides up under the pin and plies it up with no harm done.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop-Gel-String-Winder-100010981-i1165598.gc
Also, you have to be careful when putting on new strings that the ball at the end of the string isn't stuck under the pin but wedged on the side of it like this:
http://www.guitarimports.com/images/setup3.jpg

The fretbuzz could very well be that you aren't tuning up properly. When you put new strings on you have to stretch the hell out of them so that they won't loosen up after every single pick stroke.