I've been saving up but I don't really know much about effects. I play alternative rock and want to incorporate some different sounds. I've been interested in an octave divider or a wah pedal.

Thanks in advance.
are you looking for single effects or multi-effects pedals? check out the line 6 dl-4, it has some cool sounds. online websites like musiciansfriend carry an array of multi-effects pedals to help you experiment
I hadn't even realized multi-effects pedals. I checked out the pedal you mentioned, it seems very cool
No, there are absolutely no good effects. Ever.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
No, there are absolutely no good effects. Ever.

Everyone knows effects pedals were forged in the fires of hell to ruin man kinds tone!
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Are there any advantages/ disadvantages in single and multi- effects pedals? I'm a newbie when it comes to effects.
Multi effects pedals tend to sacrifice quality for versatility, although there are some notable exceptions. Generally speaking single pedals are good because you can tweak each individual one and it's not an all-or-nothing deal.

If you play alternative rock, check out some delay pedals and fuzz pedals. Depending on your budget you can get something really interesting.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Multi-effects have their place but single pedals are better quality and I have no regrets about switching to single pedals. You can pick up some bargains on Ebay. The pedal I use most is an overdrive as it tightens up my distortion beautifully. I wouldn't play without it. After that I use an MXR Line Boost most so solos will stand out better. Other than that I'd look at either a delay or chorus pedal.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Multi-effects pedals are getting better. They all used to sound horrible. The advantage to a good multi-effects pedal is that it lets you pre-program different effects schemes so that you can trigger them instantly. This helps if you plan to use a lot of effects. If you get one, make sure it is a sturdy one. Some of them are made of plastic and definitely don't hold up well. The biggest drawback to them is that if something goes wrong with the unit, you lose all of your effects at once. According to Murphy's Law, this will happen at the most critical moment of the most important gig of your life.

Single effects pedals sound better because each one is designed to do one thing only. They don't try to be all things to all people all at once. The drawbacks to them are (1.) they can be expensive, and if you start collecting them you can end up shelling out a lot of cash, and (2.) everything you put in your signal chain is going to have some effect on your tone, so if you like to daisy-chain a dozen pedals together, your tone is likely to suffer. Check to see if the pedals you like are equipped with "True Bypass." This should help your tone, as it means that when the thing is switched off, it is removed from the signal chain. Finally, if you use a bunch of pedals, you'll need a power source like an MXR Power Brick. Otherwise, you'll have to deal with a bunch of wall warts to power the things. Batteries are not an option. Effects pedals eat batteries very, very quickly.

Try as many as you can find and see what you like.
My general advice to anyone new to effects is to go for a multi-effects unit first - true, they usually aren't as good sounding as individual pedals, but until you get a sense for all the different effect types and the tone you're after, not much sense in doling out $ for separate pedals. And you can try out combos, like "what does this amp sim sound like with a slapback delay and mild octaving?"

Then after you develop an ear for all the effect types do, how they blend and what you like you'll spend your money more wisely.