hi.

im starting my christmas shopping early this year, and am wanting to buy my girlfriend something she will love for christmas. (already getting her a diamond!) she is a wonderful artist, and i love her sketches. im thinking i want to get her some nice sketching pencils and paper, however i dont know whats good and what isnt. anyone want to help?

im considering this pencil set.
http://www.dickblick.com/products/derwent-sketching-collection/

is that any good?
im completely lost as to what paper to get.

i also thought about this, but i think it looks pretty cheap, im worried the pencils wont be very good.
http://www.dickblick.com/products/sketch-and-drawing-art-kit/

thanks guys and gals. and feel free to suggest other ideas that i should look into!
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I'm also an artist (everything from charcoal to paint, although i stick mainly to pen and ink), and in the way of pencils... i really think that a pencil is a pencil. there are good and bad paintbrushes, charcoal brands and paints but you can really use any pencil. i think that the gesture and showing her that you like her art is probably good enough.

EDIT: also, while a big pencil set is nice, i've never use anything above a 4H pencil, or below an 8B

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Last edited by SPBY at Oct 11, 2009,
Mirado Black Warriors are the best drawing pencils there are. They're made so that the lead breaks off just a tiny bit easier, allowing a greater access to different shades of grey.

Prismacolor colored pencils are the best colored pencils you can get. Professional artists use these often.

Keep in mind that these both cost extra money when compared to the other brands, but they're definitely worth it.

EDIT: On a side note, I use .5mm Mechanical pencils, because I like the hard contrast in the shadows. Sometimes very hard shadows are the way to go, while others it's about being smooth.
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Oct 11, 2009,
Quote by SPBY
I'm also an artist (everything from charcoal to paint, although i stick mainly to pen and ink), and in the way of pencils... i really think that a pencil is a pencil. there are good and bad paintbrushes, charcoal brands and paints but you can really use any pencil. i think that the gesture and showing her that you like her art is probably good enough.

thanks for the feedback. ive heard her complain about pencils before, but it was just a regular old school pencil, hopefully to her a sketching pencil is a sketching pencil lol.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
thanks for the feedback. ive heard her complain about pencils before, but it was just a regular old school pencil, hopefully to her a sketching pencil is a sketching pencil lol.

im not a big pencil sketcher so that's my opinion lol, the guy above seems to know more

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
I use 3 Faber Castell, 2HB 2B and 2 1/2HB and I can manage almost all the shadows decently.
Buy her what she needs, not what you think she likes.

EDIT: ASK HER! But don't let her notice you've asked. Sit next to her when she's drawing and ask "Hey, you can manage drawing so nicely, and only that stuff you use?"
-Answer = needs.
Last edited by Fiire at Oct 11, 2009,
thanks everyone so far! please keep em coming.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
get her a dickblick
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.