Hi, I need some help getting that distortion rock sound.

I just purchased an Epiphone Special 2 and a Raven RG 20. I've totally cranked the gain but I can't get that rock sound. Do I need to get a pedal? If so, what's a good affordable one to get? If not, what do I need to do to get that Distorted sound that lasts.

Thanks, Barkwood!
Fave Artists:
-The White Stripes
-Sublime
-Nirvana
-RCHP
-Dave Matthews Band
-Jack Johnson

"Life is so short, so love the one ya got, cause ya might get run over - or ya might get - shot."

My Rig

Peace
here, lemme go grab some distortion off the shelf so i can pack it up and ship it to you. whats your zip so i can give you an estimate on shipping.

yeah, what exactly do you qualify as "that rock sound". heaps of distortion doesnt always sound like you think it would.
what sound are you looking for, exactly? that'll help us make suggestions.
I've got the spirit, but lose the feeling.
EQing makes a huge difference. I love mids so if you have them scooped try cranking them up a bit or add some treble for a bit of bite. IDK. Easing up on the gain with help too.

Hard to help, "rock sound" is really vauge.
More of a grunge, "Icky Thump" type sound, I'd say.
Fave Artists:
-The White Stripes
-Sublime
-Nirvana
-RCHP
-Dave Matthews Band
-Jack Johnson

"Life is so short, so love the one ya got, cause ya might get run over - or ya might get - shot."

My Rig

Peace
Might wanna invest in a pedal. A simple Boss DS-1 will get you a grunge like tone
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
Quote by Barkwood
More of a grunge, "Icky Thump" type sound, I'd say.

that might be fuzz?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
for a thicker sound, you'll want to keep as much lows and mids without them being overpowering. sinsyringe has a good idea with re-trying your EQ and turning down the gain a good bit. you should be happy with your clean tone before you proceed to add gain to it. and when you add gain (in increments, mind you) do a quick EQ-check to make sure everything still sounds the way you want it to. dont max out with your tax out and expect the IRS to keep quiet.
Quote by nedthehead
Might wanna invest in a pedal. A simple Boss DS-1 will get you a grunge like tone

i agree with this i play grunge and i use a DS-1 and it is very good for the grunge sound.