OK.
First, I'd like to point out that I'm in agreement that Rise Against has watered down too far with their last album. This pisses me off. There are exactly 3 outstanding tracks on it (I don't care what you think, I refuse to apologize for liking Hero of War.) So I'd like to use this thread to A. Discuss what Rise Against should do in the future and what you'll do if they don't change, B. Bash Appeal To Reason, and C. Talk about your favorite RA song and other recommended bands.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
siren songs of the counter culture is my faveorite album, i don't think its necessarily a bad thing that they are changing their soudn a little, i will find it problematic when they start doing what gree day did and try to mimic u2. Other than that appeal to reason was a pretty solid punk rock album i liked most of the songs on it. Bands grow and change their soudn and if they don't they just end up being sad parodies of themselves later on
I know what you mean, I just feel like most of the tracks on Appeal to Reason were too... mainstream sounding. And not all that great. Tim's still one of the best singers/lyricists out there, but I think RA has already started to become a parody. If they keep going in this direction, they will become Green Day.
Now, all of that out of the way, they're still one of my favorite bands, and their concert with Rancid was still the best show I've been to in a while. I just want them to not sell out.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
OK.
First, I'd like to point out that I'm in agreement that Rise Against has watered down too far with their last album. This pisses me off. There are exactly 3 outstanding tracks on it (I don't care what you think, I refuse to apologize for liking Hero of War.) So I'd like to use this thread to A. Discuss what Rise Against should do in the future and what you'll do if they don't change, B. Bash Appeal To Reason, and C. Talk about your favorite RA song and other recommended bands.

They can do what they like with their music, you sound like you're going to email them and threaten them or something, grow up, get over it. There's plenty of other bands out there. Check out a band called Smoke or Fire, they're like older RA.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
some songs on appeal to reason were good, but they are kinda losing their melodic/hardcore punk vibe. a good example of their prime stuff is the song blood red white and blue
also, take this to the punk forum. you'll get some responses for sure
have you heard 'Grammatizator'? or 'Voice of Dissent?' They were two songs recorded for Appeal to Reason which didn't make it. I wish they did make it though.

I think it's the change the people don't like; possibly more than the actual songs.
My current acoustic group:

Fiftieth Parallel

Martin Guitars
Elixer Strings
Acoustic amplification
BOSS pedals

Quote by FrustratedRocka
I know what you mean, I just feel like most of the tracks on Appeal to Reason were too... mainstream sounding. And not all that great. Tim's still one of the best singers/lyricists out there, but I think RA has already started to become a parody. If they keep going in this direction, they will become Green Day.
Now, all of that out of the way, they're still one of my favorite bands, and their concert with Rancid was still the best show I've been to in a while. I just want them to not sell out.

I say we wait until they become a green day before we start saying things like that.... we don't wanna jinx em lol
Quote by consecutive e
They can do what they like with their music, you sound like you're going to email them and threaten them or something

This is exactly what I thought.
its true that there older stuff was alittle better, but Rise is still an amazing band. sure, there alittle more mainstream then they were during RPM or even siren songs, but like it was said b4, tim is one of the best singer/song writers out there and he has inspired me so much. i would like if they went back to there unravaling or RPM days, but ATR was a good cd.

now with that out of the way, i think revolutions per minute was there best cd over all, but sufferer was my fav. survive is my favorite song ever and it really speaks to me
There is a saying in poetry, "show me, don't tell me." here you are announcing everything, like an announcer to a sporting event. "Dave has the ball. Dave passes the ball. Dave picks his ass."

~Zanascross

XD epic win
I really like Appeal to Reason, although they did go a bit more mainstream with it. But they did release Death Blossoms after ATR, so there's still hope.
Quote by bush_slayer_07
siren songs of the counter culture is my faveorite album, i don't think its necessarily a bad thing that they are changing their soudn a little, i will find it problematic when they start doing what gree day did and try to mimic u2. Other than that appeal to reason was a pretty solid punk rock album i liked most of the songs on it. Bands grow and change their soudn and if they don't they just end up being sad parodies of themselves later on

Well Rise Against is doing both of those right now so its a lose lose situation for us.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
I like the more melodic songs. It's the alternative rock sound I like that they have. I'm not much on their more punk style stuff. The singer is really good and I wish he would sing more like he does on a few of the songs.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
I really enjoyed appeal to reason. Yes, it is more mainstream sounding compared to the others but I think on a whole it's great - it's not a 'selling-out' type mainstream, just it'd be easier to introduce this great band to people with this album.

I thought I'd just like to add: on whereabouts unknown the closing sections are some of my favourite bits from them because of how much passion and raw energy tim's voice has (not saying the other songs don't have lots of energy, they're all lively )