Page 1 of 3
Not that I'm gonna be philosophy major, but I always here people say that it's a useless degree to have, and I'm just wondering if that's really true. I mean, yeah, I doubt it'll make you as rich as a surgeon, but I'm sure there have to be some employment opportunities with a bachelor's or master's.

Basically: What kind of employment opportunities are there with a philosophy degree?
That's strange, I was reading this Wikipedia page when I opened this thread:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Dennett

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
philosophy graduates have extremely fine tuned analytic thinking skills. this is a good skill that a lot of employers and government agencies look for. the top degrees the FBI wants, for example, are doctors (for forensic stuff), accounting (to investigate business crimes), and philosophy, because those bastards can think.
If nothing else, someone with a philosophy degree can teach.

You don't go into philosophy for the pay check is all I can say.
It's actually more useless than every one says it is.
"You can't fight in here, this is a war room!"- Dr. Strangelove
Quote by Zero-Hartman
That's strange, I was reading this Wikipedia page when I opened this thread:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Dennett

For the record, i prefer the new avatar

also, any degree shows an employer you can work hard so it's not like you have zero prospects.

i'll do some research, see what comes up.
At least when you're driving a fork lift, you'll know why.
Call me Jack
Quote by clockwork555
It's actually more useless than every one says it is.

this
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Quote by mental_zer0
For the record, i prefer the new avatar

also, any degree shows an employer you can work hard so it's not like you have zero prospects.

i'll do some research, see what comes up.

Sig changed

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by bakin
philosophy graduates have extremely fine tuned analytic thinking skills. this is a good skill that a lot of employers and government agencies look for. the top degrees the FBI wants, for example, are doctors (for forensic stuff), accounting (to investigate business crimes), and philosophy, because those bastards can think.

They don't really, not unless you can speak say, Chinese and Arabic. Philosophy degrees and other BAs and BSs fall under the Diversified path for entry, and require a amount of relevant work experience and usually some form of masters/Phd and other skills. It's by far the most difficult way to get into the FBI, to quote the Bureau themselves "opportunities to qualify through the Diversified Critical Skill are very limited.". What the FBI really look for are language graduates, computer science graduates, law graduates, physical sciences, and accountants. You can also get in with intelligence experience, military experience and/or law enforcement experience.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
that kind of tought made me decide to major in electromechanical engineering rather than physics
If you graduate with a degree in philosophy you can either:

a) hope to teach it at a high school or university
b) spend your life writing a tone of books, articles, essays, etc. and hoping to make money off of any of them that get published.

c) or both.

So yes, it's not too practical.

That being said, I'm majoring in Biology and will probably have a minor in philosophy : /
Quote by technicolour

b) spend your life writing a tone of books, articles, essays, etc. and hoping to make money off of any of them that get published.

c) or both.

That being said, I'm majoring in Biology and will probably have a minor in philosophy : /

You forgot "d) dying in poverty"
it's pretty damn useless. the odds you get a good job is so slim. the only thing you can do with that degree is end up teaching philosophy students. don't waste your time and money.
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Quote by deluxity
that kind of tought made me decide to major in electromechanical engineering rather than physics

I had a similar situation except I switched from a physics degree to a degree in biomedical engineering.

Yes, a philosophy degree is pretty useless. You're gonna end up with a job that simply requires you to have a college degree.
Quote by captaincrunk
This. Combine Philosphy with another major and you're set for law school.

All of the pre-law kids at my school have at least a minor in philosophy.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I know only a few philosophy majors, and they're all doing it for pre-law.

Alex Trebek graduated with a philosophy degree. You could be a game show host!
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
With a philosophy degree, you can either go to law school or hone your skills making piping hot baskets of golden fries. The only person I know who was a philosophy major that didn't go to law school is a manager at a clothing store.
Hi, I'm Peter
A philosophy degree is better then those guys going to GIT or MI and thinking they're gonna be the next Paul Gilbert.
In Road House, Paddy Swayze had a degree in philosophy. Dude was a bouncer.
They probably make better money anyway.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Quote by paintITblack39
how do you get a philosophy major off of your porch?

pay for the pizza.

With a degree in philosophy, you can... teach philosophy.

I'm sure you can get pretty defensive and come up with a roundabout reason for how it can be useful for very obscure scenarios or careers, but I see very little options in it being a practical study that can be used by people and is in demand.

Hey, if you want to say that it makes you happy and you prefer to discover the many vistas of the universe and the human mind over monetary gain - fine, be my guest. Trust me, I feel the same way about music. Just remember that you've got to eat one day too.
i have a philosophy degree and i am currently a recording artist. so for me, it was.
IAMREALLYCOOL
Quote by captaincrunk
This. Combine Philosphy with another major and you're set for law school.

yeah i heard that philosophy majors make good lawyers.
Go Veg.
I don't have proof to back up my claims right now, but I've read that those with philosophy degrees tend to be top of their class in law school. Also, they are able to run circles around English majors with reading comprehension, critical thinking, and grammar. Combined with a business degree it can also lead to high paying private sector jobs. You can also always teach.

You're unlikely to become rich with a philosophy degree, but the majority of us will never be rich anyways.

Proud Philosophy major here hoping to be a professor one day.
Quote by technicolour

c) or both.

Its very practical. Its probably one of the most relevant undergraduate degrees you can get (aside from business, nursing, or premed) since it can be applied to just about any field.

Its not like the majority of majors really give you anything useful for the job world. Unless you are doing engineering, or *possibly* some of the hard sciences, or one of the aforementioned fields, its the work experience that really counts. Some of the most popular majors are English and Psychology, and I think Philosophy is far more useful than either of those.

Philosophy is good preparation for further school, such as going to med school or getting an MBA or JD or some other specialized graduate degree.
Last edited by bajeda at Oct 12, 2009,
Psychology is popular because it's an easy way to get a college degree.
Quote by Korosu
Psychology is popular because it's an easy way to get a college degree.

wat

Anyway, it's a butt-****ing awesome degree - the most interesting (next to science) out there IMO. Just combine it with a 'career' degree so you wont die after.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Hmmm...

Quote by TheClincher
I give you the lolslope
---
--------
--------------
---------------------

Quote by Trowzaa

I love you.

Well what is useful? Useful in what sense? And who is this 'everyone' you speak of? Is it just an media sieved impression of that part of society that gets a voice? Does this infiltrate and inform peoples impression of the said usefulness of said degree? What is the basis of this line of thought.

ahem ... yeah, no, idunno
Quote by output24
Hmmm...

the-philosophers-paradox.gif

You should put that in the paradox thread...I would, but everyone would probably yell at me for stealing it =P
It's extremely useful.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by bakin

Then again, so do lawyers. And if I were the FBI I'd be far more willing to employ someone with a law degree than one in philosophy, no offense.

Good on me, eh?
Quote by Carnelian K
Well what is useful? Useful in what sense? And who is this 'everyone' you speak of? Is it just an media sieved impression of that part of society that gets a voice? Does this infiltrate and inform peoples impression of the said usefulness of said degree? What is the basis of this line of thought.

ahem ... yeah, no, idunno

Useful in the sense that if you don't earn money you will die. No one's disputing the intellectual value of the degree - but at the end of the day one needs to eat.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Quote by JamesDouglas
Useful in the sense that if you don't earn money you will die. No one's disputing the intellectual value of the degree - but at the end of the day one needs to eat.

Well, maybe one could try thinking of bread on the table.

I think, therefore it is?
Page 1 of 3