Ok. So a couple of questions:

1) I have an Ibanez RG 350EX with a basswood fretboard. I was wondering which type of oil will be suitable for polishing the fretboard. Will lemon oil do?

2) I use a gauge 9 strings presently. Can I use gauge 10 strings? If I do, will I have to put in another spring? I use 3 springs at the moment. I play my guitar in standard tuning. Can I use Ernie Ball Slinky hybrid strings?
Basswood fretboard? Do you mean rosewood...?

Lemon oil is fine, but you need to use it sparingly. You should only really be using it on there once or twice a year.

You shouldn't need to add a spring for the trem, it's more than possible to do it without it, but you might want to get one just in case you ever need one
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 12, 2009,
You do not have a basswood neck! you've got a Rosewood fretboard and maple neck and you do not need to put any oils on it! just clean it with ernie ball wipes or fret fast .

You dont need to add a spring to go to gauge 10, You just need to tighten the 2 spring claw screws.
It says basswood on the site. So . I'm a total noob when it comes to woods.

Won't my neck warp or anything if I go for gauge 10?

I live in Delhi and it's not very humid so the bending due to moisture is ruled out.
No, you might need a truss rod adjustment but that and the tightening of the trem springs is about it as far as that goes. Intonate and set it up like you should be doing after every string change though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Yeah you might need to adjust the truss rod, depending on how it's set now, but I've had 13s on guitars that were setup for 9s and they worked just fine

Your RG has a Basswood body
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I don't think many people use rosewood for the bodies, it's generally used for the fretboard.

There are two major parts to your neck. If you look at the neck, you can see them pretty easily. There if you hold the guitar the way you hold it when you're playing and you look down, you'll see the two different woods that make up your neck. It'll probably be a lighter colour for where your thumb and palm bit goes, and a darker colour for where the frets are. The darker one is the rosewood.

If you don't know much about Floyd Roses, then it might be better to take it to a technician to get the strings changed and everything adjusted.
Although the change might not seem to drastic, I tried to restring my mate's guitar with 10's (he had 9's on) and the bridge pulled up like crazy. A technician would know about how to remedy this, as well as adjust intonation and the truss rod if needed.

As for the Lemon Oil, you can use it. It'll make it a bit darker, and it'll help prevent the fretboard from drying out and in some cases, cracking. Use it once or twice a year, you don't need to over do it. It'll help keep it nice and new looking.
Quote by Gunpowder
You almost banged her? Well you get an almost high five!

*Stops half way*
i love my ibanezes, but their thin necks and truss rods have setbacks.
using any gauge above 9's or 10's you'll be having a hard time getting a really straight neck setup.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
Hybrid slinky strings won't cause you any problems. If your guitar needs an adjustment because you went to a much heavier gauge string, it is a very minor one. Guitarists like Robben Ford and Stevie Ray Vaughn used ridiculously heavy strings on a variety of electric guitars and managed to set them up just fine. Changing to a heavier gauge on a guitar with a tremolo will necessitate an adjustment, but again, it is no big deal. Sometimes, just adding one or two springs will even it out.

Rosewood is a common material for fretboards and for the backs and sides of acoustic guitars. Most guitar builders don't use it for solid guitar bodies because it is expensive and it weighs a ton. Fender made a Telecaster with a solid rosewood body and neck that was considered almost too heavy to play standing up. It looked great, though. George Harrison played one. Basswood is a tonewood commonly used for guitar bodies. Not too heavy; not too light. I've never heard of it being used for a fretboard. It would probably be too soft.

There are a couple of fretboard oils out there if you feel the need to use it. One is a mineral oil called Fast Fret that Metal_in_1983 mentioned, and Dunlop makes one (I don't remember what it is called). As Boxie said, use it sparingly. Most people use the stuff to clean a rosewood fretboard once or twice a year.