Ive decided its about time to upgrade the stock pickups on my Epiphone Les Paul custom. What are some good pickups, both neck and bridge, I could get for a versatile sound for under 250$.
Thanks
depends on style u play but anything from Gibson Pups to Seymour Duncans or DiMarzio's
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
Asking a question like this here isn't going to do much more for you than going to www.musiciansfriend.com and searching for humbuckers less than $250.

If you want advice that works you have to provide information about your preferences:

-Type of music you want to play
-Amp(s) you plan to use it on
-Pedals you use or plan to use
-Etc.
Quote by jetwash69
Asking a question like this here isn't going to do much more for you than going to www.musiciansfriend.com and searching for humbuckers less than $250.

If you want advice that works you have to provide information about your preferences:

-Type of music you want to play
-Amp(s) you plan to use it on
-Pedals you use or plan to use
-Etc.

I play everything from reggae to metal. There going to be used on a VOXAD50VT amp. Only pedal BOSS distortion.
I would not recommend EMGs at all. Depending on your budget I would go with either Rockfield or GFS pups. Both are great and fairly inexpensive. If money is not an issue Gibson Classic 57s would be awesome. Just like with guitars you do not need to brake the bank when buying pups you can get good pups and not go into debt.

John
I've heard good things about the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs. I haven't tried em, but when I get my Carvin CS4 I'm thinking about putting in a pair.
Get as set of either Wolfetone Dr. Vintages or Marshallheads.

They're very slightly beyond your budget ($270 a set) but imo beat the living hell out of the Gibsons (and I have owned the 57 classics). It's worth the price difference, '57 classics and Burstbuckers are ok as far as stock pickups go, but I would not spend several hundred dollars upgrading to either of them considering the better options that are out there.

But I have Wolfetones iny my les paul and I have liked them over every other PAF style pickup that I've owned, only exception maybe being the WCR Crossroads neck, which is also phenomenal. Boutique pickups aren't for everyone though, there is a wait time involved and it's a much more hands on experience in general, but you get great interaction with the guy who winds them and can get a truly custom pickup. I had a sound in my mind that I wanted my pickups to get, a certain output range I wanted and several sound references when I ordered my Wolfetones and they nailed it. And really for slightly more than I would've paid for a set of Duncan Antiquities (which are also great) I got something more suited to my tastes, and are imo, better in a lot of ways they're unpotted yet do not squeal, even under a lot of gain, and are more usable throughout the entire taper of the guitar volume and tone than any other pickup I've ever used. Backing the guitar volume down to 6-7 to play the main line to "Steppin Out" and then rolling it all the way up and blasting out the lead is just awesome.

A nice clip of the Marshallhead through several amps playing various styles from classic rock to clean country picking to metal.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7575926
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 12, 2009,