Its 1 oclock in the morning currently. I'm not in a right state of mind. I see a lighter, and a guitar.

A little experimentation with the lighter and the white grip part of my tremolo bar yielded an interesting smoky effect.

So i figured what the hell, why not deface my pickguard. I started to burn the tip of a part, it got like yellowish burnt, cool... but kind of a bad idea.

I then held the lighter far enough that the flame didn't touch and i started to get like soot on the white pickguard. It created a black smoky effect. Went around the entire pickguard with the only exception being in between the pickups where the strings were.

Had a smoked up guitar (think smoked glass)... looked pretty damn... okay. (i got the "this mightve been a bad idea" thought in my head.) I couldve taken the strings off and smoked up in between the pickups but i decided, no this needs to go.

A wet paper towel scrubbing later and to my surprise I got left with a present.

The Pics are of pretty ****ty quality, you can see most of the more prominent marks but it doesn't really do it justice. You get the idea though.

I got most of the black off, but instead of a clean white like I had hoped, It looked like a faded burntish black. The most interesting thing was every little scratch and ding made on the pickguard was outlined in black and you could see each very clearly. Right now, it looks pretty awesome, but I might just punch myself in the morning. I might take off the strings and do the same in between the pickups just for the sake of completing it.

Doesn't look half bad imo

Anyone ever hear of anyone doing such a thing? I suppose Jimi had something along the lines of this when he lit his up. Although this probably doesnt hold a candle to it.

Thoughts? Keep it and continue? or is it time for a new pickguard?
Last edited by forgiveforget at Oct 12, 2009,
Quote by forgiveforget
Although this probably doesnt hold a candle to it.

Icwatudidthar.

anywho, looks decent. ive been there before with that stupid decisions you'll regret in the morning though lets just say i woke up with half my head shaven.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Looks interesting but next time take your guitar off first.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
This + a light relic job?

Any takers?
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Epiphone Prophecy EM-2
'06 Epiphone Les Paul-100
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
yea when people relic a guitar they offten do this or drop the guard in a pot of coffee personaly I like the smoked look better...
Looks pretty gay to me but whatever floats your boat man. Personally I prefer a sleek looking guitar.
Dude........
yea it looks dope but i like my guitar to be sleek and clean
"Remember folks, it's all bull****. It's all bull**** and it's bad for ya." ~ George Carlin.
RIP
"The last real man in showbiz"
it looks like you tried too hard. subtlety should be the goal when it comes to this sort of "relic" project. the more obvious it looks, the less good it looks.
Thanks for all the replies, its 9:30 in the morning I kinda half kicked myself but it looks okay. I always kinda had a thing for kind of dinged up/aged guitars so I guess this'll work.

Agreed that its a little too pronounced. I plan on just burning a little between the pickups and doing some wiping down to see if i can get some more off.
if thats what you like, I have 3 no name pawn shop guitars I'll sell you.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Any tips on how to fade the marks a little? Water isn't doing much. Might have to break out the windex.