Im looking for a new amp head to use for both live and recording at home. I only play melodic death metal and some power metal. I would like to have a decent clean as well as a nice metal distortion. I dont want to spend any more than $1500. Currently im leaning towards a peavey 6505 but im just wondering what other options there are. Thanks alot guys
Self proclaimed prophets are great people...
whats your location? willing to buy used?
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
im near winnipeg manitoba in canada. And yeah if its in good shape ill at least consider used.
Self proclaimed prophets are great people...
I doubt that you will be dissapointed w/ a 6505. I have a 5150 and coulnt be happier. Some folks will knock the clean channel, but I find it very, very nice. Get a nice chorus pedal and your ready to rock.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Its a nice clean channel stand alone. hell you can find a cheap 6505 head and cab, and buy a "clean" amp for cheap if the clean isnt up to you're standards

cheap subsitutions for 6505, Ampeg Vc140. Jazz chorus cleans, and gain that is meant for death metal. they go for about 250-400 usd
Framus Cobra?

I'm actually just quoting Matrix Claw's recommendation here.

I was looking at a melodeath metal amp before I settled on my Mark V and MC suggested a Framus Cobra.

You can't doubt Matrix Claw's recommendations, it'll be like doubting God.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Framus Cobra?

I'm actually just quoting Matrix Claw's recommendation here.

I was looking at a melodeath metal amp before I settled on my Mark V and MC suggested a Framus Cobra.

You can't doubt Matrix Claw's recommendations, it'll be like doubting God.

Thats not a bad suggestion. The ones on HC go for around 1300-1500 usd. The only beef i have with them after trying them is at low volumes they aren't the best sounding of amps.
Quote by mexican_shred
Thats not a bad suggestion. The ones on HC go for around 1300-1500 usd. The only beef i have with them after trying them is at low volumes they aren't the best sounding of amps.

Well I've never had a chance to try one, no Framus dealers 'round these parts of the woods.

Also, you just described over 80% of tube amps with that low volume statement haha.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Well I've never had a chance to try one, no Framus dealers 'round these parts of the woods.

Also, you just described over 80% of tube amps with that low volume statement haha.

true, but the framus more so than others(similar to one channel laneys and splawns at lower volumes). Angry goldfish warned me about it when i was thinking of buying one earlier in the year and when i got a chance to try it was rather accurate. Then again the 6505 doesnt get that sweet spot in thickness until you push that post gain past a certain limit. The only amp i tried that sounded great low volume wise has been marks. And even then compared to their cranked state its lackluster
Quote by mexican_shred
true, but the framus more so than others(similar to one channel laneys and splawns at lower volumes). Angry goldfish warned me about it when i was thinking of buying one earlier in the year and when i got a chance to try it was rather accurate. Then again the 6505 doesnt get that sweet spot in thickness until you push that post gain past a certain limit. The only amp i tried that sounded great low volume wise has been marks. And even then compared to their cranked state its lackluster

I see...

to be honest... at low volumes, my Mark V sounds significantly better than my Krank Rev Jr Pro... but then again, my experience with tube amps isn't as comprehensive as some others here...
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
I see...

to be honest... at low volumes, my Mark V sounds significantly better than my Krank Rev Jr Pro... but then again, my experience with tube amps isn't as comprehensive as some others here...

Its not you. When i tried a splawn nitro and mark IV head to head with the same cab at the same general volume, the lower volume situation had the mark with more balls and fuller tone than the nitro.

to ts: Try out the 6505 at a volume you think will be for studio/home playing to see if it fits you're criteria. It really is the workhorse behind many death metal bands, and i liked the older version(5150) i had quite alot.
Quote by mexican_shred
Its not you. When i tried a splawn nitro and mark IV head to head with the same cab at the same general volume, the lower volume situation had the mark with more balls and fuller tone than the nitro.

to ts: Try out the 6505 at a volume you think will be for studio/home playing to see if it fits you're criteria. It really is the workhorse behind many death metal bands, and i liked the older version(5150) i had quite alot.

Well... at the end of a day, what we need is a stadium with 100,000 people so we can properly crank our amps!
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
the sound engineers running that show would hate us
Quote by mexican_shred
the sound engineers running that show would hate us

No they won't, cuz I'll be the one that'll be paying their salaries to pay their rent
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )