Emma Anzai of the Sick Puppies is an absolutely incredible bassist, and very understated.
Could anyone out there describe her slap technique? It's amazing to watch.
Anyone?
John 3:16 = Truth

Sight reading tableture = Guitar Hero for real guitarists
youtube link please.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
She appears to be slapping with her thumb pointed downward, instead of holding her thumb out in a hitch-hiker fashion. She also keeps the fingers of her right hand relaxed and spread out instead of curling them in a semi-clenched fist. She also seems to use her rigth index finger against muted strings to get a percussive thump.

I've seen a few DVDs that recommend you try slapping with your thumb pointed downwards if you have trouble getting a good slap sound with the traditional thumb sticking out method. It works.
Thanks Gear. Really helpful man

She also seems to use a pick normally, so she's probably worked out an arrangement that lets her hold a pick and slap at the same time, which might explain why her right hand appears so unusual whilst slapping.
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"
Yeah. That makes sense

Quote by FatalGear41
She appears to be slapping with her thumb pointed downward, instead of holding her thumb out in a hitch-hiker fashion. She also keeps the fingers of her right hand relaxed and spread out instead of curling them in a semi-clenched fist. She also seems to use her rigth index finger against muted strings to get a percussive thump.

when i first started slapping, this way was just the one feeling "natural" to me. I just tried slapping without any lesson (without even looking at people doing it).
I still prefer it, but i have only one problem: i can't slap the A string without touching the E string, is there a way to avoid it with that position?
It can be done. I'm not much into slapping. Most of the bassists I listen to don't slap, and I never spent the time to learn it well. But to the extent that I do it, I use the downward thumb method and I seem to hit the A string with no problem. I wish I could tell you that there is some very specific technique to accomplish this - you know, "Just do A, B and C and you will have no problems," but there isn't. Like most other playing techniques, it just comes from endless repetition at slow speeds. Slow practice builds up accuracy, and as the gunfighters say, "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final!"

Good luck. Learning or just perfecting a new technique can be insanely frustrating. Stick with it and you will succeed.
Am I the only one that doesn't find these videos THAT impressive?

She's good at what she does, but there are probably several people (not including myself) who could play just like this.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
There's really nothing that unusual about her slapping. She just points her thumb downwards. She's not bad but that solo in the second video was just awful.
I agree with the above post. Her technique isn't unique it's just sloppy, pointing the thumb down is probably because her bass is so low. She seems to pop with her middle finger, and throw in a string with nails every once in a while, and the usual thumb-hammer-pop. Nothing too hard.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Quote by FatalGear41
I've seen a few DVDs that recommend you try slapping with your thumb pointed downwards if you have trouble getting a good slap sound with the traditional thumb sticking out method. It works.

I believe that this is how Timmy C does it in 'Take the Power Back' (the only RATM song with slap bass) and I too find it much easier, but only when slapping the lowest string. Once you move in, everything gets sloppy if you slap like that.