I have been playing guitar for about a year and 3 months.
I have a few videos on youtube.
Here's a link to one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqH5oMLMkiQ&feature=channel
How am I progressing?

Main reason I am here,
I have pretty much no theory under my belt.
I am self taught to this point.
I have been trying to read lessons on theory, but I just can't get a grasp of it.

Would you guys advise getting a teacher to learn theory and scales and such?
Or maybe link me to a really awesome lesson.
All the ones I have read have been real hard to follow.

thanks!
-Mike.
Last edited by mikemangone at Oct 12, 2009,
On the lessons, just don't go too fast. Learn at your own pace. I'm going to watch your video now, will comment in a second..

edit: Pretty good cover, although the recording sounds a little cluster**** of sound, but that's me. Work on your altpicking in that riff in the beginning, try not to sweep it.
Last edited by KoenDercksen at Oct 12, 2009,
Better than me (I've been playing for the about same amount of time.)
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
If you can afford a teacher, its probably worth it as you'll be able to ask questions, and get them to go over stuff in a way that makes sense to you.

Failing that, I'd start with Freepower's video theory lessons: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=58DA70A2123C71CD&search_query=freepower+ug+theory
He covers all the basics pretty well. Then try those lessons again and see if they make more sense
Use your pinky more.
It was all pretty well done, timing was good, but you need to work a bit more getting a cleaner sound and better phrasing (although your phrasing of the solo was excellent).
Bridge sections needs to be tightened up too.

At 1 year of playing, I was attempting this song and thought it was impossible. Now it seems at 3 years, it's a helluva lot easier.
With practice, you will get it down perfectly and effortlessly.

One thing has helped me improve significantly is Freepower's lessons on figure independence (and various of his other lessons).

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1091796

Very useful. In fact, I'm keeping a copy of that link in my profile nao.

Huedit:

As you can see, Freepower has quite some influence on UG (to the post above me).
Last edited by huevos at Oct 12, 2009,
Hey there, I didn't see your vid because I think I would be of no help on the technique topic.

As for the theory, I highly recommend you to start learning your fretboard and the major scale. Most people will tell you to start with chords, but imo it's better to start with scale, and then construct the chords by yourself. I think this gives you a more solid base, since you can basicly understand the chords you play, rather then just place your fingers in a specific pattern.

For example, take the C major scale. The most simple/common chord out there is the basic 1st, 3rd and 5th notes. So with the C major scale(C D E F G A B), you get C E G. And there ya go, you got a basic C triad(triad=chord formed of 3 notes). Now if you learn your C minor scale, you can apply the same intervals and get C Eb G, which is a Cm.

Start learning by heart the major scale intervals (WWHWWWH, where W=whole-step(2 frets), and H=half-step(1 fret)). When you got that down, start applying it on your fretboard. The best way to go about this imo is to select a note(I suggest C) and figure what notes are in this particular scale. Once you got that down pretty easily, start applying it to other notes. It should already be easier, as you already learned the intervals.

If that still sounds confusing, start with the VERY basics of theory, for example;
- What a whole-step and a half-step are.
- What flat(b)and sharp(#) mean.
- The chromatic scale, or in other words every notes on the fretboard( C, C#/Db, D, D#/Eb, E, F, F#/Gb, G, G#/Ab, A, A#/Bb, B).

With that down, you can already start constructing scales out of intervals. My personnal trick for learning scales was to print out blank fretboard diagrams, and I figured by myself what a specific scale is. This is a much better option then just learning by heart from diagrams, without understanding the intervals of the scale. Also, a good trick I find with the intervals, is when you practice the scale, call the intervals(say outloud "Whole" or "half"). You can also call notes, which is recommended by a lot of teachers.

Sorry about the big text, the main idea is that imo, the place to start learning theory is really the major scale. Once you got that down, you already took a big step forward.

Edit: Forgive the amount of times the word intervals was used; it just means that you need to put emphasis on learning them, rather then just a pattern.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Oct 12, 2009,
You're a TFoT fan, so I automatically love you. Interesting idea sweeping the intro. Thomas downpicks it, I alternate pick it... Sounds good either way. I can tell you practice a lot, and you pay attention to technique. Nice work.
The Fall of Troy is my favorite band I just saw them live on the 8th. It was rad.
But back on Topic.
I figured out pretty much everything Spike said.
I have the major scales intervals down. And can apply that to the guitar.
So where to next?
Last edited by mikemangone at Oct 13, 2009,
Put it into practice. Use a backing track in your major key of choice, find out what the chords are and improvise over it. Do this for a number of backing tracks in different major keys.

Mastering the application of the major scale is not something you can do in an afternoon.
Quote by mikemangone
The Fall of Troy is my favorite band I just saw them live on the 8th. It was rad.
But back on Topic.
I figured out pretty much everything Spike said.
I have the major scales intervals down. And can apply that to the guitar.
So where to next?

Keep practicing it, and if you feel like you're ready then it might be time to move on to a new scale, like the minor scale. A lot of people will tell you to start with pentatonics but I think learning the major and minor scales first will give you a more solid grasp of your scales.

When you got those two down, learn how to form pentatonics out of these scales, and start researching for scales that YOU think sound good. Say you like metal a lot, you could go with harmonic minor. You can also start studying your fav artist's style, by finding out which scale they use, over what context, etc.

You should also start trying to improvise, like Myshadow46_2 said; it's not something that comes over night. You need to keep practicing it in a real context until it really "prints" into your brain.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.