number one fact : i prefer guitars with a tummy contour. i love the way that the contour angles the body/fretboard towards me when strapped on.

i even have a gibson lp and a tele thinline with such a cut.

so strats, jazzmasters are all gods own gifts for me.

i would like to own an SG. i hear of SG contour/beviled body etc.

so are SGs as comfortable as say strats, when strapped on? does the thin 'beviled' body allow a tilt etc?

and btw the SG i am interested in is the gibson sg menace primarily because it has a slim taper neck. anybody owns or has played it?

appreciate the feedback from SG lovers here.
Personally for me, not at ALL.
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
They're ok, but the strap button placement and the neck-heavy nature is just a bit weird for me.

Nowhere near as comfortable as my strat though
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
The only problem might be that one of the strap buttons can get in your bellybutton.

However, when you play an SG you throw it around like a madman and for that it's perfect.
Military use of children?

Infantry.
I think they're pretty good. the only down side it the position of the strap button. It makes the headstock slip downwards if you let go and if you dont have a very good strap it can give you a sore shoulder after a while. but its not too bad. just try one in a shop to see for yourself. i did this and the strap didnt worry me too much.
I moved te strap button to the tip of the horn.After that I found it VERY comfortable.Sits on me well,yet still has even weighteness to get a good feel from it.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
i played a menace, i really liked the thin neck altho i'm normally more a guy for the fatter neck types.

played smooth with me.
In pertinence to the guitar as a whole, strats are way comfy-er. The main reason I like the SG is the comfy-ness of the neck, which is also quite fast and a blast to play. Your fingers rarely get tired. Otherwise the whole thing is just sorta awkward to hold; personally I think the strat is far superior in terms of the overall feel of the guitar (I prefer the SG because I think it sounds a whole helluva lot better)
Neck Heavy = Epiphone G400
Gibsons are much better balanced and the slinky sixties neck improves it further. Being about the lightest popular guitar, an SG is really easy to play a long gig with and yes, the chamfering helps the angle. I greatly miss my SG and LP/SG from years gone by so I have a project for one in a year or two.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Neck Heavy = Epiphone G400
Gibsons are much better balanced and the slinky sixties neck improves it further. Being about the lightest popular guitar, an SG is really easy to play a long gig with and yes, the chamfering helps the angle. I greatly miss my SG and LP/SG from years gone by so I have a project for one in a year or two.

My SG Standard and my SG Supreme were both neck heavy. SG guitars aren't chambered either.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
SGs are pretty comfortable IMO, people say the Epis ones are neck heavy but none of my non-Gibson SGs neck dive nor did any of the Gibson SGs I have owned over the years. I think it's all in the placement of the strap button some companies place the button too far down the body the closer it is to the neck joint the better I have actually seen people move the button onto the lower part of the neck near the joint. My Tony Iommi Epi has the strap button right on the top horn and it's balanced perfectly.

There are several ways to compensate for neck dive. You can move the strap button, use a strap that is wide and won't slip. A lot of guitars I try are neck heavy especially guitars with weird shapes or thin light bodies. The only SG I tried I thought was too neck heavy was the Robot.

John
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
My SG Standard and my SG Supreme were both neck heavy.
This. Anyone who says Gibson SGs aren't neck heavy is either playing with the strap super glued in place on their shoulder or only plays sitting down with the guitar's body clamped under their arm. Even the SG Goddess was neck-heavy, and that had a slimmer neck than even the modern 60's neck profile (which in turn is slimmer than the actual 60's necks were). Epiphone models are definitely even more drastically neck-heavy than Gibsons, but that doesn't mean the Gibson necks don't dive to the floor at the first chance they get too. You've got to weight down an SG's body or reposition the front strap button to get any kind of proper balance out of any - any - SG.

SG guitars aren't chambered either.
He said chamfer, not chamber. A chamfer is the beveled edge.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
This. Anyone who says Gibson SGs aren't neck heavy is either playing with the strap super glued in place on their shoulder or only plays sitting down with the guitar's body clamped under their arm. Even the SG Goddess was neck-heavy, and that had a slimmer neck than even the modern 60's neck profile (which in turn is slimmer than the actual 60's necks were). Epiphone models are definitely even more drastically neck-heavy than Gibsons, but that doesn't mean the Gibson necks don't dive to the floor at the first chance they get too. You've got to weight down an SG's body or reposition the front strap button to get any kind of proper balance out of any - any - SG.

He said chamfer, not chamber. A chamfer is the beveled edge.

Thanks for the correction. I had no idea what a chamfer is.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I've said it before I'll say it again. The button placement is the key. Gibson SG's are a lot more balanced the most Epiphone SG's because the button is placed higher on the neck...(because the neck joint is also higher). Just proclaiming SG's neck heavy is the whole story.
i personally don't find the comfortable at all, sitting or standing. for me the weight of a les paul is way more comfortable
Quote by GuitarDTO
I've said it before I'll say it again. The button placement is the key. Gibson SG's are a lot more balanced the most Epiphone SG's because the button is placed higher on the neck...(because the neck joint is also higher). Just proclaiming SG's neck heavy is the whole story.
Which doesn't hold up because anyone who's played both knows they're in the exact same place, and have been for several years.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Which doesn't hold up because anyone who's played both knows they're in the exact same place, and have been for several years.

And, yet again, as I've said to you in another thread...you are wrong. I owned a 2008 Epiphone SG, I've played several 2009's this year because I was considering getting another one with a better button location. Only the Gibson had it, not the Epiphones. Epiphone buttons were about an inch lower. You are wrong. But don't take my word or Flibble's word for it, go find out for yourself....it's blatantly obvious if you go play them both.
Heavy neckness is an easy problem to correct on any guitar if you are willing to drill holes and live with the old ones.
i find that due to the strap button location, the uncontoured back and my beer gut that the guitar pushes away from me, which doesn`t happen happen on other guitars with a traditional strap button location.

yes it`s the fact that i`m a fat barsteward that causes this problem coupled with the strap button location.
honestly, it's just preference, but i hate the feel of them. They feel so flimsy and they slip off my lap. Plus they are headstock heavy.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
They're super thin.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
I don't like SGs due to their neck heavy nature. I prefer my guitars to have some weight in the body, or at least to be balanced. The SG feels like its going to nose dive toward the ground at any moment whenever I have played on in the past, and I wouldn't buy one simply based on that.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
IMO, you need a pretty long, WIDE LEATHER strap to easily play an SG - also helps it you are not fat. They are best when they "hang" off your body. I never liked them till I bought one.
Now I have two of them, maybe three after Christmas....I hit the pawnshops in January/February, get GREAT deals when I bring cash....
They have great necks once you get used to them, and really more tone than you expect from a plank.

Get either a Gibson or a high end Epiphone G400.

mark
"I'm very happy to be here - on Earth." Les Paul, Inventors Hall of Fame induction speech.
I love my g-400, neck heavey, but I put the strat button on the upper horn so its great now. Really nice fret access, really light.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ