What up. I'm rather a n00b here... tell me if this is in the wrong thread or whatever. I'm looking to buy a new axe, and I've been doing a lot of searching, but haven't managed to find anything I really truly would be satisfied with. I play mostly brutal death metal, black metal, and creepy progressive stuff and I'm looking for something in the $500-700 price range. My current rig is an Epiphone SG hooked up with EMGs; 85 bridge, 81 neck, running it through some big fat 115 watt Marshall thing I don't remember the name of. I'm in a band with 2 guitarists, and I wanna make sure my axe has the versatility to operate as such (i.e capable of generating a tone that doesn't turn both our sounds into random fuzz, and preferably that compliment each other). Of course, I still wanna sound awesome in doing so I have short fingers and a fast neck is essential to me. Anyone have anything they would recommend?

And if those are too many specifications I apologize. Feel free to just throw a random idea out there if you have something that doesn't fit my elaborate specifications but you think would work, I'm an open minded person
Yamaha RGX-A2, not American so I don't know how much that is, sounds quite a bit though, I have this guitar and it is amazingly versatile, amazing tone and even my Music mentor, who has played countless gigs and guitars, says that my guitar is one of the best guitars he has ever played
Yamaha RGX-A2
Line 6 Spider
Need a new amp so much D:
Orange Stack or Marshall JCM 2000 Stack please.
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos could be good
If you don't know me then your life sucks

Gear
SX Acoustic
I bet its a MG or AVT
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
*cough* Schecter Blackjack ATX *cough*
Nvm, I lied. Schecters don't have thin fast necks. Look into some of the Ibanez RG Prestiges; I'm sure I've seen one with EMGs in them.
Last edited by pixysticks at Oct 12, 2009,
You have an 81 in the neck and an 85 in the bridge? That doesnt sound right.

Id look into the LTDs, most of the LTDs in that price range have an 81bridge/60neck combo.

But dont feel like you need active pickups to have a great sounding tone.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
@Phil, Dawnwalker was right. I'm quite sure it's a Marshall MG50DFX (don't have it with me as of now). Definitely something in the MG series. I really have no way of knowing with the SG, it was owned by my uncle before me who (I assume) ripped off the truss rod cover to replace it with one that says 'Gibson', even though it clearly says Epiphone on the headstock. It looks closest to a G-310, though.

@Mitochondria, I don't think it is right. Once again, crazy uncle owned it, no idea what was going through his head. Perhaps I'm mistaken and it's a 60, since I haven't actually opened it up and looked, but I doubt it.

@pixysticks, DAMN those are nice lookin' guitars. Fast necks are essential to me, but not so essential that I'd pass up completely on a guitar that looks and sounds as good as that. I'll keep those on the list of considerations.

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far, I'll go check out some Ibanez and ESPs
ESP LTD AX-260

shred neck with nice humbuckers

600$ or something like that

looks like a BC Rich but higher quality or so i've heard. i have the cheapo AX-50 and i love it.
ESP LTD AX-50
Rocktron VG08
i would say my schecter has a thin neck. It's just right. I have an RG too, and it makes my hand cramp it's so small after awhile, it's an awesome guitar too, just not my fave.
Quote by Erich Zann
@Phil, Dawnwalker was right. I'm quite sure it's a Marshall MG50DFX (don't have it with me as of now). Definitely something in the MG series. I really have no way of knowing with the SG, it was owned by my uncle before me who (I assume) ripped off the truss rod cover to replace it with one that says 'Gibson', even though it clearly says Epiphone on the headstock. It looks closest to a G-310, though.

@Mitochondria, I don't think it is right. Once again, crazy uncle owned it, no idea what was going through his head. Perhaps I'm mistaken and it's a 60, since I haven't actually opened it up and looked, but I doubt it.

@pixysticks, DAMN those are nice lookin' guitars. Fast necks are essential to me, but not so essential that I'd pass up completely on a guitar that looks and sounds as good as that. I'll keep those on the list of considerations.

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far, I'll go check out some Ibanez and ESPs

Hmmm if it is in fact both a G-310 and a Marshall MG than personally invest the money into a new amp, and with your price budget you can definitely pick up a great brutal amp that is suited to your EMG pickups. Of course the G-310 isn't by far the most wondeful guitar but imo give it a good set up and it definitely does play well and is giggable.
Quote by Mitochondria9
You have an 81 in the neck and an 85 in the bridge? That doesnt sound right.

The 85 makes a good and somewhat warmer and more versatile bridge pickup then the 81
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Lol I wonder how the 85b/60n would sound
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Hmmm if it is in fact both a G-310 and a Marshall MG than personally invest the money into a new amp, and with your price budget you can definitely pick up a great brutal amp that is suited to your EMG pickups. Of course the G-310 isn't by far the most wondeful guitar but imo give it a good set up and it definitely does play well and is giggable.

The G-310 is terriblé.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Dawnwalker

The G-310 is terriblé.

G-310 is decent enough to gig with. Of course I would rather have the ts spend **** more money on a new amp but going by his budget the best the ts will ever get with the remaining cash is probably of the same quality as the G-310.