Page 1 of 2
..... I find it very difficult to find electric guitar artists or bands in general who play electric guitar that I actually enjoy listening to.

There are two underlying reasons. I've come to realise that I am extremely fussy about tones. Most artists playing electric guitar, I don't like listening to their tone, it puts me off enough that I find it spoils the music.

The second reason, is that most bands / artists playing electric guitar, I find (for me personally) that there just isn't enough melody to satisfy me. I adore music that is crammed with melody and rhythm and I find it so difficult to find music that satisfies me in this respect. I'm also terribly fussy about singers. If I don't really like the singer's voice, I can't listen to the music.

So I've started listening to alot of classical guitar music and flamenco. I find overall I prefer the sound of a classical guitar to electric guitar and I've found I prefer the music in general.

However, I do still love electric guitar and I'd love to be able to find new artists to listen to where there is loads of melody and the electric guitar tones sound organic and natural, so if people can give me recommendations, that would be awesome.

The kind of music I'm looking for is stuff that;

- has minimal vocals or is instrumental
- is not in the metal genre (only metal band I like is Iron Maiden)
- is very melodic and rhythmically interesting
- is not shred music

Thanks
Last edited by XtAsY2007 at Oct 12, 2009,
Wrong forum.

Also, look into the genre of 'post-rock', seems right up your alley. It's a bit of a confusing genre, since most people think it is just feedback and foreign people moaning, or indie hipsters playing metal and end up making weird ambient math rock.

Edit: Listen to a band called My Bloody Valentine. It sounds like pretty much everything you're asking for. If you like that, listen to Chapterhouse, LSD and the Search for God, Slowdive, The Boo Radleys, other shoegaze bands etc.
Quote by kwidjibo1
oh really? i didnt know children of bodom were better than a band far more famous and popular than them, cheers for the update

Quote by Mr.Maccy
Your from the states. I end my case.
Last edited by Sopheydood at Oct 12, 2009,
So you are saying you are a snob, check message received. Welcome to the club.

Cracker

James
you could also try some jazz (john scofield or pat metheny for example). And scenes by marty friedman should satisfy your needs too
Quote by Sopheydood
Wrong forum.

Also, look into the genre of 'post-rock', seems right up your alley. It's a bit of a confusing genre, since most people think it is just feedback and foreign people moaning, or indie hipsters playing metal and end up making weird ambient math rock.

Basically this.
Quote by IronFeliks
So you are saying you are a snob, check message received. Welcome to the club.

Cracker

James

Basically yes Just have very specific taste in music and sounds.

I apologise if I posted in the wrong forum, but thanks for the suggestions none the less
If you forgo the metal criterium - the new Mastodon. Do eet
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Buckethead.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
If you like jazzy stuff then check out some Jeff Beck, especially his album Blow by Blow.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Pink Floyd!

Maybe Black Sabbath? Not sure thou
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
Quote by Commodor 64
Greenday.

no...

on topic, Opeth has some really nice mellow songs like Windowpane, or their cover of Bridge of Sighs.
Given what you claim, I would try out the work of these Rock/Prog/Jazz/Fusion artists:

Eric Johnson
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Tony Geballe
Robert Fripp
Adrian Belew
California Guitar Trio
Alex Skolnick Trio
Charlie Hunter
John McLaughlin
Al Di Meola
George Benson
Kaki King
Michael Hedges
League of Crafty Guitarists
Andy Summers
Ronnie Montrose
Rodrigo y Gabriella
Jennifer Batten
Dick Dale
Nicky Skopelitis
Shawn Lane

Now, personally, I love Buckethead, but my guess is that he's probably a bit "shreddy" for you. However, he has a surprisingly broad taste in music, and I can definitely recommend you his albums Acoustic Shards, Electric Tears, Colma and Death Cube K (although its more ambient than anything else). You might also check his discography- he has done a number of little side projects and worked with many bands.

Likewise, Opeth has some songs that I think you'd find amazing, but again, they may be a bit more metal overall than you're looking for. That said, check out the album Watershed for the songs "Burden" and "Porcelain Heart" and "Hex Omega."
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 12, 2009,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Given what you claim, I would try out the work of these Rock/Prog/Jazz/Fusion artists:

Eric Johnson
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Tony Geballe
Robert Fripp
Adrian Belew
California Guitar Trio
Alex Skolnick Trio
Charlie Hunter
John McLaughlin
Al Di Meola
George Benson
Kaki King
Michael Hedges
League of Crafty Guitarists
Andy Summers
Ronnie Montrose
Rodrigo y Gabriella
Jennifer Batten
Dick Dale
Nicky Skopelitis
Shawn Lane

Now, personally, I love Buckethead, but my guess is that he's probably a bit "shreddy" for you. However, he has a surprisingly broad taste in music, and I can definitely recommend you his albums Acoustic Shards, Electric Tears, Colma and Death Cube K (although its more ambient than anything else). You might also check his discography- he has done a number of little side projects and worked with many bands.

I agree with the bolded ones. For the way he described what he likes, Steve Vai and Satriani, no offense to them, wank away on their solos. I like listening to Satriani, but I don't find his solos real fitting in a lot of his songs/lives when he plays them/improvises them. With Vai, he's just odd to listen too. I don't like his tone, it's too sharp and trebly and just hurts my ears. This is no insult to them, I think they're superb players and I have found a few of their songs I'll listen too because the tone is pleasing and everything fits, I just don't like a lot of the aspects people admire them for.

I highly recommend EJ to anyone. Perfect tone, perfect amount of speed on his fast runs, perfect melody and rhythm. I'm a fanboy, nothing more to say. Same with Shawn, his music is superb and a joy to listen too. West Side Boogie and Get You Back are amazing songs, as is Paris and Epilogue for Lisa.

Also, to add to your list, and another superb player with amazing tone. Andy Timmons.
I should be embarrassed- I meant to include Andy Timmons. Not only does he have an incredible body of solo work, but his work with other artists can be interesting as well.

As it turns out, Timmons good buddies with my church's music director, the Christian music artist Curtis Stephen (not to be confused with Christian music artist, Steven Curtis Chapman) and often plays on his albums. Curtis has a nice, mainstream vocal style, and his stuff sounds mostly like classic rock/jazz. Timmons was on the studio album "Through the Storm" and the live album recorded in 2008 (I was at that show!).
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Thanks for all the recommendations I am slowly going through them all, giving them all a listen (apart from the ones suggested I already know I don't like )
Sounds like a stage I went through once, becomming a tone nazi but emerging the other side with a new appreciation of the more technical aspects of good song writing.

Organic, melodic and rhythmically interesting you say? Try Steve Morse if you havn't already, a good start would be a compliation/greatest hits album of his such as Prime Cuts.

My favorite song to listen to on that record is Prognosis, my favorite to play is Busybodies
Biaxident by Liquid Tension Experiment is an amazing song for that. State of Grace by the same group is nice also. Wishful Thinking by John Petrucci has some nice melodies too.
I forgot Carlos Santana.

And I recently saw Chickenfoot (Satriani/Hagar/Anthony/Smith) play at Nokia in Texas, and while they didn't disappoint, the real surprise was the opening band, Davey Knowles and Back Door Slam. This young Brit has a great blues-rock sound that wouldn't seem out of place in the late 1970s. And vocally, he's got a melodic rasp, a bit like Robin Trower or Bruce Springsteen, but smoother than either.

well good for Mr. TS. Now go away and play your flamingo.

edit: ^^Holy crap dude, I was there. Like, ten rows from the front to the left section from the stage.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Last edited by Pencil Man at Oct 12, 2009,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I forgot Carlos Santana.

And I recently saw Chickenfoot (Satriani/Hagar/Anthony/Smith) play at Nokia in Texas, and while they didn't disappoint, the real surprise was the opening band, Davey Knowles and Back Door Slam. This young Brit has a great blues-rock sound that wouldn't seem out of place in the late 1970s. And vocally, he's got a melodic rasp, a bit like Robin Trower or Bruce Springsteen, but smoother than either.

I almost went to this just for Backdoor Slam. They're great, had the chance to see them open for Joe Bonamassa last year.
Quote by jeffc313
Buckethead.

Do it.
Rhythm In Jump. Dancing Close To You
Stevie Ray Vaughan. His voice works perfectly with the music, like another instrument in the band.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Oct 12, 2009,
The Allman Brothers have some amazing and melodic instrumentals. Start with In Memory of Elizabeth Reid
Quote by Pencil Man
edit: ^^Holy crap dude, I was there. Like, ten rows from the front to the left section from the stage.

At the Nokia show in Grapevine?

I was in the front row of the second seating section, on the right!

Another prog band that you might like is Transatlantic.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
At the Nokia show in Grapevine?

I was in the front row of the second seating section, on the right!

Yeah. Sept 21st. You catch any sticks? Some dude gave me one after the show.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Pencil Man
Yeah. Sept 21st. You catch any sticks? Some dude gave me one after the show.

Chad Smith was super-generous with the former trees, but I wasn't so lucky.

To paraphrase Bill Murray from Ghostbusters: "Its true- this man has no sticks."

One landed about 5' from me, but someone else was on it in seconds.

Dogs they were.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Eh...its all good.

Chad almost hit the guy in the shins with it. Me? I'd have to had ducked under or vaulted over that rail that was in front of me.

Just a thought- you might like John 5's solo work. Its not as metal as his work with Marylin Mansen.

Young blues rockers Jonny Lang and Kenny Wayne Shepherd have some interesting stuff- KWS's "10 Days Out... Blues From The Backroad" is special in that he does most of the songs with some incredible older artists.

The Robert Randolph Band has a nice take on blues rock featuring pedal steel.

If you go for latin rock, you might also check out Los Lonely Boys and REALLY take a look at Los Lobos.

Gipsy Kings have some nice albums out there, but you may not care for the vox.

Of the classical guitarists, beyond Segovia, I listen to a lot of the Romero family, especially Pepe's stuff.

Quote by FallsDownStairs

Also, to add to your list, and another superb player with amazing tone. Andy Timmons.

+ a millions billions
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Guthrie Govan (awesome guitarist. Went to a clinic taught by him... amazing.)
Andy Wood (not as well-known as the other 2, but still good. Does rock and bluegrassish country, which might put you off, but I detest most country and bluegrass and still like all but one of his songs.)
Andy Timmons (people have already said him. Good music right there)

That's just a few I randomly thought of.
Page 1 of 2