Some of you may know, I have an American Strat that I never use. Well, instead of selling it, I have decided I would like to mod it so I can use it for Iron Maiden and possibly the odd Pink Floyd/Clapton song. What kinda stuff would I need to do to it in terms of pickups, scratchplate etc?

Also, the input jack is a bit buggered, and it takes a lot of fiddling with to get anything other than static noise.

Anyone know roughly how much it would cost to get this repaired, and to install some new pickups if need be? Thanks in advance.
I believe that they play for pickups
2 Seymour Duncan Hot Rails SHR-1 (Neck and Middle),
1 Seymour Duncan JB Junior Humbucker (Bridge)
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
get a prewired pickguard. I had the same crappy input jack/bad pots on my strat before I got one. They come with a new input jack and all new pots/knobs/pickup selector, so it takes care of all that.
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
Get a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge, and some Hot Rails in the other positions, with coil splits if you can get them so you can get some single coild tones.

And it would cost hardly anything to get the input jack done, there's probably some wire that's come out or something that just needs soldered
Cam Sampbell's my hero
If you want the Iron Maiden setup, use the Duncan Hot Rails pickups. As for things like the scratchplate, you need not replace it unless you want to stick a traditional humbucking pickup in the bridge position. A new pickguard would run you anywhere from US$30.00 to about US$50.00; more if you want something exotic like mother of pearl.

Your output jack problem is probably not a big deal. See if the wires are properly soldered to the connection points. Also see if the spring metal contact that rests against the tip of the instrument cable plug isn't bent out of alignment. Ths can cause static, as well as cause your guitar to cut out. Even if you had to replace the entire output jack, it should not cost much at all. There isn't much to a jack, and it takes about thirty seconds to solder a new one in.

Duncan Hot Rails pickups usually sell for about US$79.00 each.

If you want to "Gilmourize" your Strat to bring it in line with David Gilmour's famous Black Strat, that would be more involved. That thing has had so many modifications over the years that an entire book has been written on it ("The Black Strat"). He put at least one DiMarzio pickup in the bridge position, installed a toggle switch that allows him to turn all three pickups on at once, and shortened the arm on the tremolo. Check out Fender's David Gilmour Signature Strat on the Fender website to see all of the modifications.

Good luck with your project.
Thanks for all the help guys.

So if I were to buy two Duncan Hot Rails, swap them with the pickups in the bridge and neck, and leave the middle pickup stock, would that be ideal for what I want? If that's all I need to do then it saves me buying a new pickguard

One small problem is that I have no idea how to change pickups. Obviously I would need to take of the strings and pickguard, but then what
Quote by Random3
Thanks for all the help guys.

So if I were to buy two Duncan Hot Rails, swap them with the pickups in the bridge and neck, and leave the middle pickup stock, would that be ideal for what I want? If that's all I need to do then it saves me buying a new pickguard

One small problem is that I have no idea how to change pickups. Obviously I would need to take of the strings and pickguard, but then what

It pretty much just requires some soldering and simple screwdriver usage, so if you can solder you should be good. If not, you should take it to someone who does.
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
A mod you could do is rewire tone controls for neck and bridge only. That way you can get Clapton's woman tone with those humbuckers.
All I'm going to say is, if the bridge position's routed for a humbucker then you should get a Super Distortion, no questions asked. Thats the pickup that they used pretty much exclusively and I'm not going to give any opinions on it, just that it's what you want if you want to sound like Maiden.
I was watching the 666 concert from last year and Dave's Fender looked like it had all single coils. What gives?
Quote by Commodor 64
I was watching the 666 concert from last year and Dave's Fender looked like it had all single coils. What gives?

He had retired the guitar that Fender based his sig off of, from what I heard. I don't listen to much Maiden, so I'm not that sure to be honest.
If youve got a Squier Strat, and you put those pickups in, would it sound just as good as a real Strat with the same pups in?
I believe that you'd also need to mod it so that it had a Floyd Rose bridge, in order to make it similar to the Strats that they play, but I could be wrong.