Ive always played a Gibson Les Paul studio but was in sam ash over the weekend and i cant believe the comfort of the Strat. Now i want to sell the Gibby and get a Strat.anyone else make this change? PM me if you are interested in a Gibson LP studio that is about 4 months old and is brand new cond.
dennis
wrong forum. please move to Gear Ads please.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
i gave up on gibson guitars because they didnt have enough models in lefthanded and it got fustrating that i couldnt get the guitar models i wanted in left handed...even when i offered yo pay extra. So i switched to fender. they are much better at costumer service and i was able to get a telecaster deluxe in left handed for just $20 extra than the original price.

but yes... fender is better... both guitar companies have excellent quality in their guitars though. I think that fender necks are better to play though because they have a flat neck and gibson necks have a little curve to the neck.
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
Quote by Mangohabs
...great post

Quote by Headphonehead
@ Cobracarg: 1 word:Genius!!!
Ok can we stop sucking this dudes dick and deal with my question?
Quote by cobracarg
i gave up on gibson guitars because they didnt have enough models in lefthanded and it got fustrating that i couldnt get the guitar models i wanted in left handed...even when i offered yo pay extra. So i switched to fender. they are much better at costumer service and i was able to get a telecaster deluxe in left handed for just $20 extra than the original price.

but yes... fender is better... both guitar companies have excellent quality in their guitars though. I think that fender necks are better to play though because they have a flat neck and gibson necks have a little curve to the neck.

Are you talking about the radius? Because Gibson has a flatter radius but has the rolled edges which makes it a bit more comfortable.

I also prefer Fender over Gibson even though I like the look and sound of Gibsons. Fender just fits me.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Are you talking about the radius? Because Gibson has a flatter radius but has the rolled edges which makes it a bit more comfortable.

Not true. It depends on the model. All Gibsons have 12" radii. Most modern (American Std. and American Del. Fenders) have a 12" radii too. The ones based on vintage strats have lower radii. The American ones also have rolled edges. It's only fair to compare MIA Fenders to Gibson.

But the two things that turn me off of Gibson are the scale length and the finishes.
i had an LP i traded for a Telecaster a couple days ago. the LP just didn't get played enough, and this new Telecaster feels amazing. i still think Gibsons look absolutely amazing, but the way this Tele played blew me away. and Strats have always been my favorite guitar to play sitting. they're insanely comfortable. i've just never been a huge fan of single coils, so both Strats and Telecasters are a little weird to me.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by JELIFISH19
Not true. It depends on the model. All Gibsons have 12" radii. Most modern (American Std. and American Del. Fenders) have a 12" radii too. The ones based on vintage strats have lower radii. The American ones also have rolled edges. It's only fair to compare MIA Fenders to Gibson.

But the two things that turn me off of Gibson are the scale length and the finishes.

Actually, you're wrong. The American standard and American Deluxe have 9.25" radii. The Deluxe Players comes with a 12" radius. Almost all of Fender's guitars come with a modern 9.25", only a few with 12" and the Vintage 57 reissues (Or any of the strat replicas from the 50s/60s) comes with the vintage 7.25" radius.

I am comparing MIA Fenders to Gibson. I played a few Saturday at my music store and the edges of the fingerboard felt squared, compared to the rolled edges of my EJ strat. The Gibson's had more of the rolled edges.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Actually, you're wrong. The American standard and American Deluxe have 9.25" radii. The Deluxe Players comes with a 12" radius. Almost all of Fender's guitars come with a modern 9.25", only a few with 12" and the Vintage 57 reissues (Or any of the strat replicas from the 50s/60s) comes with the vintage 7.25" radius.

I am comparing MIA Fenders to Gibson. I played a few Saturday at my music store and the edges of the fingerboard felt squared, compared to the rolled edges of my EJ strat. The Gibson's had more of the rolled edges.

I don't know how I missed that, I definitely checked the Fender site before I posted. Must've got confused or something.

But when it comes to the frets, the American Deluxes I've played have smoothest frets of any guitar I've ever played. But most sites say they're hand-rolled and the Fender site says "Highly Detailed Fret and Nut Work." Maybe that's just a special thing they do with the Am. Deluxes.
Quote by JELIFISH19

But when it comes to the frets, the American Deluxes I've played have smoothest frets of any guitar I've ever played.

Must have never played a Carvin.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Nothing beats a Fender when it comes to chording and those single coil cleans.
Nothing beats a Gibson when it comes to endless Sustain Soloing with epic bends and that stuff.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by JELIFISH19
I don't know how I missed that, I definitely checked the Fender site before I posted. Must've got confused or something.

But when it comes to the frets, the American Deluxes I've played have smoothest frets of any guitar I've ever played. But most sites say they're hand-rolled and the Fender site says "Highly Detailed Fret and Nut Work." Maybe that's just a special thing they do with the Am. Deluxes.

I was speaking to the edges of the fretboard (Like when you grip the neck like a baseball bat), not the frets being rolled and smooth themselves. I agree, I also found a lot of Fender guitars to have smoother frets.

Yeah, I went and checked before I posted :P. The Deluxe Player's neck feels a lot like an ibanez to me. So I guess we should recommend that for all ibanez players wanting a strat .
Quote by Dawnwalker
Nothing beats a Fender when it comes to chording and those single coil cleans.
Nothing beats a Gibson when it comes to endless Sustain Soloing with epic bends and that stuff.

I'm sure you're just comparing the two to each other... because G&L, Suhr, Carvin all can dump a load on Fender undoubtably.

And for Gibson there is PRS, Suhr, Washburn, Carvin, and of course a load of other brands that are much more consistantly built with better materials and higher levels of craftsmanship.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I'm sure you're just comparing the two to each other... because G&L, Suhr, Carvin all can dump a load on Fender undoubtably.

And for Gibson there is PRS, Suhr, Washburn, Carvin, and of course a load of other brands that are much more consistantly built with better materials and higher levels of craftsmanship.

That's your opinion. I've played a few G&Ls, and they felt somewhat cheap. Besides, PRS have just as insane prices as Gibson does. I personally didn't like how Washburns felt, and I've been wanting to test drive the Allan Holdsworth sig from Carvin.
tbh, I'd rather buy a fender mia strat hss than a gibby lp studio at the same price..
Quote by randomhero93
wrong forum. please move to Gear Ads please.

whiny bitch stfu and gtfo pls

To TS: I have both, i play my strat WAY more. As long as you have a pickup combination you love its worth it to move to the strat. Check out lace sensors if/when you do.
~Defiant~
i started with a strat, then got a yearning for a les paul and bought a studio and then traded up to a standard.

after a while i realised the narrowness (in terms of tone) of the les paul and also how uncomfortable it was, plus the big thick clumpy neck felt really crude compared to a strat.

now i'm back with strats, don't regret a thing.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by FallsDownStairs

Actually, you're wrong too. Fender uses 9.5" fretboards.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I begin to believe that this Strat-Starter Guitar thing is a conspiracy theory.
Maybe Leo Fender WANTED those Brands to make strat copies? Who knows.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by oneblackened
Actually, you're wrong too. Fender uses 9.5" fretboards.

You misread then. Modern Fenders come with a 9.25". The vintage spec'd come with 7.25" (Staying true to the pre-CBS era), and only a few come with the 12".

If you're saying all Fenders are 9.25", then you need to brush up on your reading.